Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-01-2008, 12:33 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default SRT4 Trans vs 2.0L Trans

So my neon trans is about to take a shit. It sounds awful in 2nd gear, and in 3rd gear it sounds like the batmobile (with that high pitched whine). Albeit a very cool noise, it's a sign of sweet sweet bearing failure knocking at my door.

Anyways, here's the question: Will an SRT4 trans bolt up to the 420A (2.0L DOHC Neon motor). I know that the SOHC and DOHC motors can swap transmissions, and I've heard of a 2.4L NA motor swap, and I'm pretty sure that they're using the old (2.0L) transmissions when they do this. And I'm also willing to bet that the 2.4L NA motor shares the same block as the 2.4L Turbo motor. So if that's the case, it should bolt up. Does anyone know? Bueller? Bueller? Obviously I still need to worry about the flywheel and shifting mech, and I'd almost definitely need to use the 2.0L axles.

So if so, what size flywheel does the SRT4 use? Would it bolt to the 2.0L crank?

Why do I ask such a stupid question? If and when I replace the trans, I'd much rather have the longer SRT gearing and the limited slip to boot. With much more emphasis on the limited slip, and yes I know that there is a limited slip for my trans, but it's like 3-400$.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:43 AM   #2
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
So my neon trans is about to take a shit. It sounds awful in 2nd gear, and in 3rd gear it sounds like the batmobile (with that high pitched whine). Albeit a very cool noise, it's a sign of sweet sweet bearing failure knocking at my door.

Anyways, here's the question: Will an SRT4 trans bolt up to the 420A (2.0L DOHC Neon motor). I know that the SOHC and DOHC motors can swap transmissions, and I've heard of a 2.4L NA motor swap, and I'm pretty sure that they're using the old (2.0L) transmissions when they do this. And I'm also willing to bet that the 2.4L NA motor shares the same block as the 2.4L Turbo motor. So if that's the case, it should bolt up. Does anyone know? Bueller? Bueller? Obviously I still need to worry about the flywheel and shifting mech, and I'd almost definitely need to use the 2.0L axles.

So if so, what size flywheel does the SRT4 use? Would it bolt to the 2.0L crank?

Why do I ask such a stupid question? If and when I replace the trans, I'd much rather have the longer SRT gearing and the limited slip to boot. With much more emphasis on the limited slip, and yes I know that there is a limited slip for my trans, but it's like 3-400$.

I should know this... I just bought a used tranny to start workin on...that LSD though is a great deal.. look up quaife limited slip diffs and they are $$$$... You can find a stg 1 SRT4 tranny (good to 450hp) for about 1200, full cyro treating and billet shift selector... fully rebuilt. No LSD though... Kinda a must huh? Check out www.performanceautowerks.com and www.rage-tek.com, you might find some ideas

Best ET 14.668 see timeslip
Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
I'd race ya, but you'd eat me up dawg!!!
Old 12-01-2008, 12:56 AM   #3
Super Moderator

But any idea if they'll bolt up? And let me know if you're buying an upgraded unit, I might buy your core.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:59 AM   #4
Boost Junkie

Quote:
But any idea if they'll bolt up? And let me know if you're buying an upgraded unit, I might buy your core.
I won't be buying an upgraded unit, instead I'll be rebuilding the core I just purchased... has everything I need plus a thrid gear problem do it'll end up being a solid rebuild once things are replaced and cyro treated. it'll be quite some time to... good luck.. I can ask the SRT guys if you like!

Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 12-01-2008, 11:55 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Yeah feel free to copy and post over there! I'd appreciate it again dude.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:37 AM   #6
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Yeah feel free to copy and post over there! I'd appreciate it again dude.
Will do by EOD today. I'll do some searching and snooping as well. I can find anything I want on the Informational Highway...

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 12-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
Super Moderator

I posted up on neon.org

Any NV 350 1st or 2nd gen will bolt up no problem. If I stick with a year (2000 or later I think) that came with a cable clutch I won't have to worry about that.

The NV T850 (SRT) will bolt up but there are a few problems, for one I'd need to convert it to a cable clutch or convert my car to a hyd clutch. Then the brake booster needs to be moved up 3/4" then a custom bracket needs to be fabbed to support one of the axles somehow.

I don't feel like f*cking around with it. I was thinking about running an LSD so that I could use the Neon to tow my jet skiis. (The only reason I haven't is that I didn't want to lose traction and slide into the water) But I'm over it.

The best year IMO is a pre Feb 2000 Neon trans. Newer, bolts up, best OD and final drive ratio. Should cut a bunch of rpms off my cruising speed.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #8
Boost Junkie

Quote:
I posted up on neon.org

Any NV 350 1st or 2nd gen will bolt up no problem. If I stick with a year (2000 or later I think) that came with a cable clutch I won't have to worry about that.

The NV T850 (SRT) will bolt up but there are a few problems, for one I'd need to convert it to a cable clutch or convert my car to a hyd clutch. Then the brake booster needs to be moved up 3/4" then a custom bracket needs to be fabbed to support one of the axles somehow.

I don't feel like f*cking around with it. I was thinking about running an LSD so that I could use the Neon to tow my jet skiis. (The only reason I haven't is that I didn't want to lose traction and slide into the water) But I'm over it.

The best year IMO is a pre Feb 2000 Neon trans. Newer, bolts up, best OD and final drive ratio. Should cut a bunch of rpms off my cruising speed.

looks like u got it solved! there is a thread that requires your attention

<guy in turbo eclipse>