Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 07-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Hey Ford, Build This

Well, I love Corvettes a lot. But since they stole my tax money to prop up a failing business model and hand over ownership to the government and Union, they are dead to me. I'm truly sorry for all the good people in the organization, but having chosen this path I won't give them a penny voluntarily.

So, since I'm a red blooded American guy, Ford gets first crack and my scrilla next time around. Unfortunately, while the Mustang is a wonderful car in a lot of ways, it's not quite my cup of tea. So here's my build requirements and price tag.

<= 2,800 lbs
Foot print no larger than current base Vette preferably even smaller
400~ BHP
2 seater
Front Mid Engine
SLA with true coil overs all around
Brembo level brake package
Conventional 6 speed manual

Price $55k~

Name. I don't know. But how but dusting off Thunderbird and doing it right for once. Engine could be Coyote 5.0 or Ecoboost based.

There's your blueprint.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-04-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Well, I love Corvettes a lot. But since they stole my tax money to prop up a failing business model and hand over ownership to the government and Union, they are dead to me. I'm truly sorry for all the good people in the organization, but having chosen this path I won't give them a penny voluntarily.

So, since I'm a red blooded American guy, Ford gets first crack and my scrilla next time around. Unfortunately, while the Mustang is a wonderful car in a lot of ways, it's not quite my cup of tea. So here's my build requirements and price tag.

<= 2,800 lbs
Foot print no larger than current base Vette preferably even smaller
400~ BHP
2 seater
Front Mid Engine
SLA with true coil overs all around
Brembo level brake package
Conventional 6 speed manual

Price $55k~

Name. I don't know. But how but dusting off Thunderbird and doing it right for once. Engine could be Coyote 5.0 or Ecoboost based.

There's your blueprint.
It'll never happen. I don't think with the current crash standards it would be possible to get a mass produced car down to the 2800lb range. Hell, Ferrari doesn't even have any cars that weigh less than 3300lbs at this point...
Old 07-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
It'll never happen. I don't think with the current crash standards it would be possible to get a mass produced car down to the 2800lb range. Hell, Ferrari doesn't even have any cars that weigh less than 3300lbs at this point...
I know. It's just what I want. It is technically possible, but would require all carbon fiber monocoque, aluminum , magnesium . . . not a piece of iron or steel. With full-tilt yankee now how, I think it might even possible for less than $100k if engineered from scratch.

I'm only suggesting a direction. What I want, is Ford Corvette.

Probably just end up with something nice like a Panoz, which is the closest to what I described.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-04-2009, 11:47 PM   #4
Graphics B*tch

I don't think that unless you want a compact you are gonna find many if any cars less than 3K lbs with the crash standards of today unless you are paying a hell of a lot more than $55K

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 07-05-2009, 12:11 AM   #5
I, Vettezuki

You guys are getting stuck on one detail. Read between the lines. . .

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-05-2009, 12:44 AM   #6
Graphics B*tch

I really do not see Ford building anything remotely like what you have here. They do not want to create competition for the Mustang. I am all for the SLA though.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 07-05-2009, 01:15 AM   #7
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedom View Post
I really do not see Ford building anything remotely like what you have here. They do not want to create competition for the Mustang. I am all for the SLA though.
That's my point. It would be a Ford Corvette, for lack of a better word. As Chevy has the Camarao (Mustang) AND the Corvette. Plenty of room, if done correctly. While the Camaro is doing well at the moment, and I certainly have no idea how things will play out over time, but if some trends (Ford down considerably less than GM) continue as they are, Ford will be able to extend its winning streak from people like me (yes there's more than one, I know, shocking) who regard GM as poison now.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #8
Neanderthal

Why don't your build you own? I have a catalog if you want.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 07-06-2009, 09:31 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to eric97srad Send a message via MSN to eric97srad Send a message via Yahoo to eric97srad Send a message via Skype™ to eric97srad

?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
That's my point. It would be a Ford Corvette, for lack of a better word. As Chevy has the Camarao (Mustang) AND the Corvette.
Think Ford GT - except FR, 200-400 lbs lighter knock it down about $75-100k MSRP and obviously more production...

Ultimately they tried the "Ford Corvette" idea and as far as performance is concerned they did pretty well... but as far as bang for the buck (which is why we choose Ford to begin with, right?) it was way too over-the-top.

I see what you're talking about - and I agree that this is a great time to do it with GM's current stats.. but I have to agree more with the other guys - Ford will not do it.. I obviously have love for Ford - but as good of an opportunity as it may be - they aren't capable of seizing that opportunity.

All IMO - so feel free to blast at will

89 Mustang LX 5.0 (FOX)

97 Explorer 5.0 (GROCERY-GETTER)

97 GSX-R 750 (GIXXER)
Old 07-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #10
Boost Junkie

my car is 2900 lbs... 100 lbs to go and then another 150whp/tq
just to make you happy i'll pull out the rear seats... oh and if you'll pay for it i'll swap it into a RWD monster. That'd be sick.

Best ET 14.668 see timeslip
Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
I'd race ya, but you'd eat me up dawg!!!