Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems
View Poll Results: Mandate Performance License?
Yes, I would require a performance license for hi-performance vehicles. 7 70.00%
FAHQ Commie 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2008, 01:42 AM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Mandating Performance Licenses for Hi Performance Vehicles

Once upon a time, there was no such thing as a hi-performance vehicle. Even through the so-called muscle era, most heavy weights (because of tires in no small part) were in the 13s and no one even thought of them as handling cars. Any of you who know me know that I am a fairly rabid get-governemnt-off-my back kind of guy. However, there are readily accessible production cars that perform at such extraordinary levels, that I think there may be reason to at least consider requiring a hi performance license as a pre-requisite for purchase.

Consider "just" the ZO6. You're a middle aged guy who can finally afford a nice sports car. You have no idea of what that kind of torque and power can be like in light car. Coming off a curve you're feeling spunky and decide to stand on it a little . . . . poof you're wrapped around a light poll and have painted a road sign with the interior contents of your head. In my opinion, that's actually your problem (and your family's), but these momentary lapses of judgment can be very dangerous to the public at large. Maybe this isn't such a big problem. I wonder what the insurance stats are. I remember once hearing that after teenagers, middle-aged males are the most likely to die in a violent crash involving speed.

This is to say nothing of the sport bikes based on MotoGP and drag bike technology. A kid can afford an R1, XF-14, etc. I might suggest in their case that they even be required to own and run a smaller bike for a while first. I think it's great these kinds of vehicles are available; we live in the greatest performance era ever . . . period. But let's not kid ourselves about the levels of performance we're talking about. At some point you're getting to where specialized skills and reflexes are required to be safe.

For example:
Kawasaki ZX-10R

- (Professional) check out the cornering speed at the end

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
A Motorgen O.G.

Yes, we should. And not only that, but people above 65 years old should have to take a driving test and reflex test every two years or so.

My Nana's is 80+ and it's awesome that she has her independence, but holy hell she should not be driving...
Old 07-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Wirte your congressman, Arnold wrote me back by the way, and it looks like he signed it personally.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Wirte your congressman, Arnold wrote me back by the way, and it looks like he signed it personally.
I didn't know he could read

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to two drink minimum

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Political staffers can be pretty good at doing their boss's signatures.