Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #1

Talking Porsche Auto-X @ El Toro, 12/04/11

Thought I would throw this out there at the last second... I know, I am really bad about signing up at the last second before I get the word out Anyway, I'm just going to paste my email I sent to my buddies last night:

I got an email from the PCA OCR guys about this. Last event of the year at El Toro airfield, real close to Irvine. It’s actually a really fun course for autocross, they change it up every time by moving cones around but in any case the layout is actually decent size. If you are driving a car with balls or really short gearing or you just plain haul ass, you will probably max out 2nd gear and dip into 3rd a little bit for part of the course. I have videos from my last September outing on my youtube channel if you’re not familiar with the course. You get to walk it early in the morning before anyone starts driving, they do not post a track layout because they want to keep it a surprise until the day of… some of these guys are very competitive.

----------------------------
Some vids:

, he was running FTD (fastest time of day) that day IIRC… 59 secs… next fastest car was a c5 z06 @ 66 secs

.. FRC (fixed roof coupe, lightest of the c5’s IIRC) with ls6/z06 power. 385 whp/2700 lbs (gutted)

(for comparison, my best time was 79 ish secs, yes I suck )
----------------------------

Anyway, I was gonna pass on this one one cuz I start work at my new job the next day and wanted to rest up the day before in preparation, but that sounds pretty lame doesn’t it Just seeing if any of you guys are interested, they cap signups at 100 ppl or so so you better sign up if you want to go.

Driver’s List (all non douche, I mean Porsche ok ok, they’re not all bad people hehe) are X class; check out the awesome cars that are going to be there… gt3 rs, gt2, couple of c5’s and a z06 for good measure, m3’s, s2000s, etc. etc. Lots of these guys run real sticky tires too, something to keep in mind when comparing run times.

Half of the fun of the event is watching other cars/drivers and how they fare; you’ll have plenty of time to do that when you’re working the course picking up cones. Price is $70. You get 8 practice runs, you can have an instructor ride with you (which I highly recommend, at least for the first couple of runs if you’re not familiar with the place or autocrossing; try to get someone who drives a car that is similar to yours in terms of engine layout/driven wheels… for those of you front engine/rear drive guys, don’t get a guy who drives a Honda for example… also if you have done less than four events with these guys I think they make it mandatory unless you can demonstrate you are competent). At the end you get four timed runs, w/o an instructor.

From what I heard, the PCA OCR guys have a bunch of events lined up @ El Toro next year, so no worries if you don’t make this one. It’s tons of fun, cheap, and there is nothing to run into or dirt patches to watch out for. If you hit a cone, just buff it out. The emphasis is on car control not top speed Hope you can make it. I’m going to post this up on rx7club, norotors, and motorgen too to get some others interested.

-mike

2001 DC4 Acura Integra
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #2

Anybody? Registration closes in a couple of days, they're already up to 80 something people.

2001 DC4 Acura Integra

Old 12-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #3

Long day today. Me and Daniel with the S/C mustang just got back a few hours ago. What a great day, the track was amazing today. Anyway, too bad you guys didn't join us, you don't know what you're missing. I got two free water bottles, one free tee shirt, a great hot dog/potato salad lunch, and tons of autocross time with a great instructor.

Anyway, here's a vid from my last timed run of the day, we only got 3 cuz of the sun going down at 4:30

I'm getting better but still need more practice. The course today was really fun, lots of high speed turns, and only one slalom. I love this venue!

I got a bunch of vids of Daniel's ride from out of car, hopefully he will post them up along with his gopro vids, etc.

2001 DC4 Acura Integra

Old 12-04-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
pain's fun, hit me again

I know what im missing, i just dont have the car ready to go own y'all
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 12-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
Fast & Filthy

So for the whole day you only made three runs?
Old 12-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
So for the whole day you only made three runs?
No way. 8 practice runs, done in two separate 4 run sessions. Then you get three (normally four when there is light later in the day) that are timed and recorded officially. The practice runs are posted up the day of, but I don't think they are retained by the timing crew after the day is over. $70 and you have to work one run session, I think it's well worth it. Esp if you're a newbie/semi newbie like me, you get access to an instructor for as long as you want.

And you get to see some awesome cars. I should have taken pics, I was so lazy. Hopefully Daniel will post some, there was some sick machinery yesterday.

2001 DC4 Acura Integra