Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 05-09-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Intake manifold port matching, smoothing.

So I now have probably 5 hours into port matching and smoothing out my intake manifold. Lots of rough spots in there, I was surprised. And I had to take a bunch of material off the ports to get them to match up to my heads. Hope I gain more than 10hp for all that work!
Old 05-10-2008, 04:49 PM   #2

You probably will gain a good bit of some HP..... One way to find out...
Old 05-11-2008, 02:16 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I'll probably gain the most hp from no longer having a leaking intake manifold gasket.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:08 PM   #4

True.... Port matching is a tricky subject of which I've only barely communicated with a know "superb \ well known" porter. His theory involves two types of porting; one for the street & one for pure race track only. The street version involves making the port large at the opening, smoothly transitioning to a smaller dimension in "the middle", and then back to the same diameter as the opening at the "exit'. This is both for the intake and the heads individually by the way..... His theory for the race only version of course involves equal port dimensions of the largest matching dimension; enlarging from the intake through the head. Of course this involves taking the worst intake \head port, enlarging it and maximizing the flow of that given port, and working the other ports to match..... IMHO.... Yes, he's one of the guy's whom have built engines for the Car Craft Engine Builder's challenge and has consistently placed in the top three over the last 2 years....
Old 05-16-2008, 10:28 AM   #5
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonydalrymple View Post
True.... Port matching is a tricky subject of which I've only barely communicated with a know "superb \ well known" porter. His theory involves two types of porting; one for the street & one for pure race track only. The street version involves making the port large at the opening, smoothly transitioning to a smaller dimension in "the middle", and then back to the same diameter as the opening at the "exit'. This is both for the intake and the heads individually by the way..... His theory for the race only version of course involves equal port dimensions of the largest matching dimension; enlarging from the intake through the head. Of course this involves taking the worst intake \head port, enlarging it and maximizing the flow of that given port, and working the other ports to match..... IMHO.... Yes, he's one of the guy's whom have built engines for the Car Craft Engine Builder's challenge and has consistently placed in the top three over the last 2 years....
That's pretty much Basic Head Porting 101.

I've been porting heads since 78. One thing to remember, "It is sometimes more important what you DON"T remove than what you do remove".
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 05-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn64vette View Post
That's pretty much Basic Head Porting 101.

I've been porting heads since 78. One thing to remember, "It is sometimes more important what you DON"T remove than what you do remove".
What's the basis of the theory, particularly for the different dimensions in the street application?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-16-2008, 08:00 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Not sure but they do the same thing with headers. Maybe decreasing the diameter (so to speak) of the port in the center causes the velocity of the air to increase, and the widening of the port causes a sort of scavenging effect? I really have no idea though.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
What's the basis of the theory, particularly for the different dimensions in the street application?
From what I think I understand about this: It has to do with the "pulse waves" created by the valve opening \ closing timing events of the natural combustion process. Exhaust scavenging operates in a similar manor and the Thorley Tri-Y header claim to fame.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:02 PM   #9
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

That's really interesting. It's amazing all the science and physics behind making big horsepower.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:50 PM   #10
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonydalrymple View Post
From what I think I understand about this: It has to do with the "pulse waves" created by the valve opening \ closing timing events of the natural combustion process. Exhaust scavenging operates in a similar manor and the Thorley Tri-Y header claim to fame.

That would suggest the porting techniques are RPM related and the analogy of the Tri-Y to Long Tube is good.

Tri-Ys: great for low end torque (what is most needed in street applications).
Long Tubes: great for high rpm power (what is needed for race applications).

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)