Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Help: Rotors and pads on GMC Sierra

Installing Rotor Hub
Ok, the front rotors on a sierra have an integrated hub. The rotor hub has a bearing races and the studs are part of it, rather than a just a rotor that slips onto a hub. When you take it off there's a bearing that comes off the spindle, then the rotor/hub comes off. I could not find the correct torque spec for the axle nut that goes over the bearing and holds the the whole thing on the spindle. When I took it off it was pretty loose, I was basically able to take it off by hand. When putting it back on, I put it on hard enough to hold the rotor/hub on the spindle without wobbling. HOWEVER, it was then MUCH harder to spin than before I took it off. WTF?

New Pads, Box of Rocks
The pads were almost completely gone. I put on new pads, when I took it out after putting them on, it sounded like a rock tumbler or crazy grinder. Is this just the new pads breaking in on a new rotor on a truck where the pads were super worn down? I don't remember anything like this with any other car I've done in the past.

Bleeding Breaks
I suck at it. Is there any trick to doing this with a mighty vac? I must still have a crazy amount of air in the system.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-17-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Fast & Filthy

For the nut, tighten it down snuggly then back it off. Do this a few times to seat the bearing in the race and then snug it down. Were talking only something around 5-10 ft/lbs or so.

Did you tighten the bearing down too tight? You shouldn't have noise from a new rotor and pad.

The easiest way to bleed the brakes is to have someone help you. Have that person pump the brake peddle 3-5 times and then hold pressure on the peddle. Then open the bleeder until the peddle goes to the floor. They need to let you know when it does. Then close the bleeder and let them know to pump the peddle again. Do this until there is no more air in the line. Start at the passenger rear, then driver rear, then passenger front and end with drivers front. Make sure you keep checking the master cylinder so you don't run it dry.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
For the nut, tighten it down snuggly then back it off. Do this a few times to seat the bearing in the race and then snug it down. Were talking only something around 5-10 ft/lbs or so.

Did you tighten the bearing down too tight? You shouldn't have noise from a new rotor and pad.
I must be way too tight. Might I have damaged the bearing? Should I replace them now? The reason I went that tight is that if I didn't the rotor assembly would have been a little wobbly on the spindle. But now that I think of it that's before I tightened down the caliper, which probably aids a lot in locating the rotor on the spindle. I only made a couple low speed circuits around the neighborhood. Hopefully I didn't damage the rotors.

Quote:
The easiest way to bleed the brakes is to have someone help you. Have that person pump the brake peddle 3-5 times and then hold pressure on the peddle. Then open the bleeder until the peddle goes to the floor. They need to let you know when it does. Then close the bleeder and let them know to pump the peddle again. Do this until there is no more air in the line. Start at the passenger rear, then driver rear, then passenger front and end with drivers front. Make sure you keep checking the master cylinder so you don't run it dry.
That's the tricky part, getting another person to help. My wife's physical condition makes it difficult for her to do much strenuous pushing, plus she works late all the time. Mmm, have to be resourceful.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I must be way too tight. Might I have damaged the bearing? Should I replace them now? The reason I went that tight is that if I didn't the rotor assembly would have been a little wobbly on the spindle. But now that I think of it that's before I tightened down the caliper, which probably aids a lot in locating the rotor on the spindle. I only made a couple low speed circuits around the neighborhood. Hopefully I didn't damage the rotors.
You'll have to pull them to see. It doesn't take long to ruin a bearing.

Quote:
That's the tricky part, getting another person to help. My wife's physical condition makes it difficult for her to do much strenuous pushing, plus she works late all the time. Mmm, have to be resourceful.
Just go to Autozone and pick up one of these for $30. You can use it to bleed the brakes by yourself.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
You'll have to pull them to see. It doesn't take long to ruin a bearing.
What am I looking for? Just poor rolling?

Quote:
Just go to Autozone and pick up one of these for $30. You can use it to bleed the brakes by yourself. . .
GOt one. But apparently my technique ain't so good. Mm, should I build vacuum, crack the bleeder, let the vacuum deplete. Close the bleeder and repeat? I was just opening the bleeder and pumping.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
What am I looking for? Just poor rolling?
Check for metal shavings and wear on the bearings. Also check for discoloration (purple/bluish color).

Quote:
GOt one. But apparently my technique ain't so good. Mm, should I build vacuum, crack the bleeder, let the vacuum deplete. Close the bleeder and repeat? I was just opening the bleeder and pumping.
I'm not sure because I haven't used mine to do it but I know you can. Amy's a professional assistant at bleeding brakes now. I still have the manual somewhere in the garage so I'll check it and let you know.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:09 PM   #7

I just open the bleeder and pump until I fill the cup 1/3 or so. I leave the pump and hose connected until all the vacuum is gone.Then I take the hose off with the bleeder open and let it gravity bleed for a little bit. Make sure the master cylinder doesn't run dry during any part of the process..Wish I saw this before I left Frankie's house !! Would have stopped over and helped.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:54 PM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdracer73 View Post
I just open the bleeder and pump until I fill the cup 1/3 or so. I leave the pump and hose connected until all the vacuum is gone.Then I take the hose off with the bleeder open and let it gravity bleed for a little bit. Make sure the master cylinder doesn't run dry during any part of the process..Wish I saw this before I left Frankie's house !! Would have stopped over and helped.

Any rule of thumb on lubbing up bearings, or just sort of smother real good. I got a new pair, they were only about $38 out the door for both. I figured if the ones I undoubtedly over tightened and have who knows many miles on them, it's a worthwhile replacement.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-19-2010, 01:19 AM   #9

I have always smothered them up real good and work the grease into the bearings. The only thing that I have done differently lately is using synthetic grease.

Bob

2003 Honda Accord EX
1973 Datsun 240Z

Old 10-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #10

I put the grease in the palm of my hand, then the bearing in other hand. place the bearing in the grease and with pressure pack the grease into the rollers. Just smearing it on the outside is not enough. I will get a picture up soon.