Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 09-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
pain's fun, hit me again

Default C5 Corvette owners enter here...

I cant believe im typing this, but slowly day by day i become more and more disappointed in my mustang, not so much in its current status as the car is no slouch but the fact that i cannot live up to the goals i had for the car in the time frame i wanted. The car is awesome, stops great, handles like a race car, gets compliments and looks everywhere. But the problem is, its a race car. No A/C, no heat, rides rougher than my F350 does, still doesnt have the power i want out of it, and would require another 10-15k to get it to the "dream" fox ive always had floating around in my head when i was a kid. Its great, when i look at the car it makes me smile, yet something is not right about the feeling i have for the car.

Which leads me to believe my admiration and lust for a C5 vette is whats keeping me from enjoying the car, i see a C5 vette and think to myself, "i could have got one of those and been done in a month."
Maybe im making the C5 out to more than what it really is as all i have driven is one auto C5, and an auto C6, both however gave me a huge grin. And i keep having pondering thoughts of trading my mustang for a C5.

So here's my question, is there any C5 drivers that would be willing to let me drive their car? Or at least offer some insight. Maybe this is just some sort of a stage in building a car when it goes stagnent for too long and you start to look for something else, but for what i have into my car and what i need to spend on it i could have a VERY badass and fast C5 vette.

Anything about the C5 that you hate? things you love, etc

Open to all forms of comments, suggestions, or comfort if there is any.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

If you want the best handling car for the money, buy a used C5.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
If you want the best handling car for the money, buy a used C5.
My car handles, im talking more the overall package.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:13 AM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
My car handles, im talking more the overall package.
If you don't need a back seat or often drive in tight city areas/traffic, and you're looking for a balanced platform not just straight line, and you're looking for something that handles well to excellent (repeatedly), accelerates just fine, gets good mileage, cold A/C, radio, etc. etc., for an affordable price (low now), you really can't beat a Vette. It's stunning to me that you can pick up nice C5 ZO6s for well under $20k! Hell, you can get nice C6 ZO6s for under $50k.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 09-24-2010, 01:17 AM   #5
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
If you don't need a back seat or often drive in tight city areas/traffic, and you're looking for a balanced platform not just straight line, and you're looking for something that handles well to excellent (repeatedly), accelerates just fine, gets good mileage, cold A/C, radio, etc. etc., for an affordable price (low now), you really can't beat a Vette. It's stunning to me that you can pick up nice C5 ZO6s for well under $20k! Hell, you can get nice C6 ZO6s for under $50k.
Yeah, my mustang has no back seat, never really driven in traffic or during the week, handles great but lacks the power i want. And would take a considerable amount of cash to get there
Old 09-24-2010, 01:58 AM   #6

Well it doesn't take much to add a lot of power to a ls motor.
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20
Old 09-24-2010, 05:05 AM   #7
That's Mr. Bitch to you.

Do you think you could get a fair amount considering what you put into it if you sold it. If so 20k C5 zo6 hard to beat.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:05 AM   #8

If youd like you're welcome to take a spin in mine next time we end up at the same place. And having come from a line of mustangs i can tell you this, Id call the two cars very good at what they do, but different. Ride quality etc id say the vette and my 03 cobra were just about even, but once you throw some real good turns into the mix those extra 500 pounds really became apparent.

Now your fox is probably on par with the Z, but as a civilized DD that can still handle some twisties, I know i couldnt think of anything to beat the C5 - same dilemma as you had, and I took the plunge.
Only thing ill caution you about - every single mod for these things, even after all these years, runs about three times what its equivalent for a mustang does, particularly a 5.0 fox. That said, mid 12s stock, 30 mpg highway, and a hell of a good time on the canyons, with cold A/C and a surprisingly comfortable ride - hard to beat, though depending on your goals for the car, an 03-04 cobra may also be something to think about - priced about the same, both great DDs, just different strengths.

( Also, if you would be looking at modding your vette heavily, id actually advise against a Z. Most of the Z specific items would be getting replaced, and the extra 5-6k probably wouldnt be worth the 40 pounds you save over the FRC or hundred or so off a coupe. )
Old 09-24-2010, 07:43 AM   #9
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Do you think you could get a fair amount considering what you put into it if you sold it. If so 20k C5 zo6 hard to beat.
Probably not, seeing as i have just shy of 17k into my car

But i have been seeing alot of Z06's going for 12-17k
Old 09-24-2010, 07:47 AM   #10
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic03SVT View Post
If youd like you're welcome to take a spin in mine next time we end up at the same place. And having come from a line of mustangs i can tell you this, Id call the two cars very good at what they do, but different. Ride quality etc id say the vette and my 03 cobra were just about even, but once you throw some real good turns into the mix those extra 500 pounds really became apparent.

Now your fox is probably on par with the Z, but as a civilized DD that can still handle some twisties, I know i couldnt think of anything to beat the C5 - same dilemma as you had, and I took the plunge.
Only thing ill caution you about - every single mod for these things, even after all these years, runs about three times what its equivalent for a mustang does, particularly a 5.0 fox. That said, mid 12s stock, 30 mpg highway, and a hell of a good time on the canyons, with cold A/C and a surprisingly comfortable ride - hard to beat, though depending on your goals for the car, an 03-04 cobra may also be something to think about - priced about the same, both great DDs, just different strengths.

( Also, if you would be looking at modding your vette heavily, id actually advise against a Z. Most of the Z specific items would be getting replaced, and the extra 5-6k probably wouldnt be worth the 40 pounds you save over the FRC or hundred or so off a coupe. )
Yeah i actually wasnt looking at a Z, just a regular C5, it will get modded down the line, probably would do exhaust HCI, tune and a motor freshen the first month of owning it. But at the current posistion my fox is in, everything costs 3 times as much, T56 magnum kit is 4k, Trick flow heads are 2k, lifters are 1k, cam is 500(if i can get a hold of jay allen)rockers are 1k, custom made headers are 1500, all thing needed for a sbf to make 500rwhp. Not cheap and the same ballpark as modding a LSx