Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 02-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk
Default First Generation Mustang Questions

Hey guys,

One of my buddies here at work wants to buy a 1st generation Mustang Vert. for his wife for her 30th birthday. He has a budget of 15k for the car and then can do some work as needed. What should he look for and where? I took a look on collectorcartraderonline.com and it looks like restored examples are in the 22k+ range. Do you guys think it would be possible to find a V8 example in descent shape for 15k? Also, what should he look out for as far as problems, rust, etc? Finally, I'm of the opinion it would be better to find one with the body work done and worry about the mechanical as opposed to the other way around. I say that only because body work is SO expensive. I know it's a lot of questions, but he really appreciates the help. Thanks

Sean
Old 02-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Hey guys,

One of my buddies here at work wants to buy a 1st generation Mustang Vert. for his wife for her 30th birthday. He has a budget of 15k for the car and then can do some work as needed. What should he look for and where? I took a look on collectorcartraderonline.com and it looks like restored examples are in the 22k+ range. Do you guys think it would be possible to find a V8 example in descent shape for 15k? Also, what should he look out for as far as problems, rust, etc? Finally, I'm of the opinion it would be better to find one with the body work done and worry about the mechanical as opposed to the other way around. I say that only because body work is SO expensive. I know it's a lot of questions, but he really appreciates the help. Thanks

Sean

He wants to look for rust, rust, rust.

Floor pans
Cowl vents
Bottom of doors
Trunk drop-offs
Rockers
Torque boxes
Wheel wells
Quarter panels

I don't know what the market is nowdays, but convertibles are usually more expensive than hardtops. They are usually comparable in price to fastbacks.

The other thing to look at is electrical. These cars usually have had the original harnesses butchered through the years and can be an electrical nightmare. I completely re-wired my 65 convertible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 02-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #3

Also, is he looking for originality?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 02-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
Also, is he looking for originality?
No. Basically they're looking for a nice driver. Originality is not that important to them. It's just basically her dream car and so it'll be something they'll drive occasionally in good weather. It's not a show car or anything like that.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
No. Basically they're looking for a nice driver. Originality is not that important to them. It's just basically her dream car and so it'll be something they'll drive occasionally in good weather. It's not a show car or anything like that.

That should make it easier. Tell your friend to take some water and pour it into the cowl. Then check to see if it runs inside the firewall. That is not an easy fix if it is rusted through.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #6

If your friend finds something local and wants someone to help him look at it, let me know.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
If your friend finds something local and wants someone to help him look at it, let me know.
Thanks very much as always Joe, I appreciate the offer. I actually showed him yours as examples. He said your 65 CS is perfect, just probably about 50k over what he has to spend, LOL. I'll start looking and run some prospects by you as I find them.