Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default P0421 - 2002 Protege 5

I was having some stumbling in the Protege and got this plus another code I forget. They were associated with a dirty MAF. I cleaned the MAF (just a can of spray cleaner) and it runs more or less smoothly, but this code came back. Now goddamnit, my cats were replaced not too long ago!!

Paul, what gives.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-09-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
pain's fun, hit me again

You made sure you used rubbing alcohol or MAF cleaner right? Carb/brake clean isnt the same and leaves a film that fucks with the sensor.

The other code would probably help in the diagnosis.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 10-09-2012, 04:04 AM   #3
I, Vettezuki

MAF cleaner yes. I'm pretty sure the other code was P0171.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #4

p0171 is a lean code. Most common causes are vacuum leaks, intake air boot leaks and dirty or messed up air flow sensors.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
I, Vettezuki

I'm gonna be a bit pissed if the NEW cats were damaged by a lean condition from a dirty MAF. . .

Quote:
Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
What does that mean?

Basically this means that the oxygen sensor downstream of the catalytic converter on bank 1 is detecting that the converter is not working as efficiently as it should be (according to specs). It is part of the vehicle emissions system.
Symptoms

You will likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms. The code may be more likely to occur after the engine has had numerous cold starts in the past 1-2 days.
Causes

A code P0421 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The catalytic converter is no longer functioning properly
An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly
A sparkplug is fouled up

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)