Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-04-2009, 01:44 PM   #11
Super Moderator

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...m=rx7+roll+bar
Old 01-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #12
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
None of those are complete kits. Summit carries a kit that includes everything but the main hoop but you have to cut it all to fit anyways. It's easier just to start with 20ft sticks and make your own. This is what I'm going to build.

This is the same that I have in my Chevelle.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
None of those are complete kits. Summit carries a kit that includes everything but the main hoop but you have to cut it all to fit anyways. It's easier just to start with 20ft sticks and make your own. This is what I'm going to build.

This is the same that I have in my Chevelle.
I'm excited to watch you build it.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #14
Power's off.

So, on a unibody, what do you anchor the cage to? Bulkhead the stress points?
I peeked at the car today. The boys were stripping away.(The car)
Save the oil cooler, but a straight line car doesn't need one.
Keep up the good work.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #15
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
So, on a unibody, what do you anchor the cage to? Bulkhead the stress points?
I peeked at the car today. The boys were stripping away.(The car)
Save the oil cooler, but a straight line car doesn't need one.
Keep up the good work.
NHRA rules say that the roll bar needs to be attached to the body on a unibody car (RX7) or to the frame on full frame cars (like my Chevelle). I'm going to use 6x6 inch plate to attach it to the floor pan. On my Chevelle I cut the floor out and welded the roll bar to the frame and then I used plate to fill in the holes I cut and welded the plate to the cage as well.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:47 PM   #16
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
NHRA rules say that the roll bar needs to be attached to the body on a unibody car (RX7) or to the frame on full frame cars (like my Chevelle). I'm going to use 6x6 inch plate to attach it to the floor pan. On my Chevelle I cut the floor out and welded the roll bar to the frame and then I used plate to fill in the holes I cut and welded the plate to the cage as well.
You'll see, but there is some (hopefully irrelevent) damage to the underside. Looks like it had been picked up with fork lift or something once. I think I'll have her ready for pick up by the end of the week. Does next weekend work for you? Are you going to CSW on the 10th?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #17
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
You'll see, but there is some (hopefully irrelevent) damage to the underside. Looks like it had been picked up with fork lift or something once. I think I'll have her ready for pick up by the end of the week. Does next weekend work for you? Are you going to CSW on the 10th?
I think I am going to CSW on the 10th. If I do I'll be in the Cobra because I don't have DOT legal slicks for the Chevelle.

Are you sure the car is straight? Throttle Crazy has a frame machine in his body shop. I might be able to get him to put it on and make sure it's straight before we fab up the cage. If it's not maybe we can straighten it first and then do the cage.

Thottle Crazy and I are putting together a ZZ383 for his Jimmy this week and I think we're going to drop it in this weekend. If you can get the car stripped by Sunday maybe I can come down and pick it up then.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #18
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
I think I am going to CSW on the 10th. If I do I'll be in the Cobra because I don't have DOT legal slicks for the Chevelle.

Are you sure the car is straight? Throttle Crazy has a frame machine in his body shop. I might be able to get him to put it on and make sure it's straight before we fab up the cage. If it's not maybe we can straighten it first and then do the cage.

Thottle Crazy and I are putting together a ZZ383 for his Jimmy this week and I think we're going to drop it in this weekend. If you can get the car stripped by Sunday maybe I can come down and pick it up then.
If it works for you Sunday will be great. I'm not sure its straight, however, nothing is obviously out of place. Doors open and close correctly and line up with the body acceptably. Some for the hood. So I think it's ok. But if it can be technically verified on a frame straightener, all the better.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #19
Super Moderator

I haven't seen any evidence of body work on this car, I'd be willing to bet that it's straight. You guys might want to heat it up and pound the floor out before you get started though.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #20
Fast & Filthy

I picked up the car today from Ben and I took it over to my buddy Joe's house to make the main hoop. The first thing we did was measure the height and width where we are going to install the main hoop. Joe already has some pre bent tubes so we used those to check the fitment. Once we had a the mesurements Joe drew up a diagram using those measurements. We then cut a section of tube and proceeded to make the bends. After each bend we laid the main hoop down on the diagram to make sure it matched up.

This is a picture of the diagram drawn on the garage floor.

Here's one of Joe marking the tube before bending it.

Here's one after the first two bends.

I didn't get one of the finished product. I got busy and forgot to snap some but I added a red arrow so you can see where the third bend was. Same for the fourth bend but on the other side.

Here's one of Kylie and Mya helping with the cage.

I want to thank Joe for his help and the use of the tube bender. Also for giving me some pre cut 4x4 plate for the floor attachments.

I'll start prepping the floor tomorrow night and hopefully get the main hoop welded in place. I'll post more pictures of it as well.