Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 05-01-2011, 04:15 AM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Harley Davidson Museum Trip

About a month ago I guess, I took my little sister to Milwaukee to visit Marquette University (where she has now decided to go).

While there, since the HD museum was literally walking distance from our hotel in downtown, we had to go. It was awesome. If you're in Milwaukee for whatever reason (which is actually a pretty cool old time city . . we have nothing like cities like this on the west coast really) go and give yourself plenty of time. Also take the self guided audio tour. We spent over three hours and they had to kick us out.

Here's a link to the album.

Here's some selected pics and vids.

Just a panorama of the museum on the river.

Click on image for larger version.

Outside of the museum. It's a pretty good size complex overall.

This statue was donated by the family to the museum.

Cool coaster from one of the two places to eat there.

On the other side of these engines was a bar. On the tv screens they were playing old footage (40s, 50s) of guys riding there Harleys . . some of them were pretty nuts.

My adorable little sister. Way smarter than her brothers. (But we keep that to ourselves. )

I don't usually find myself taking pictures in the men's room, but I thought the pedal was a clever and actually quite useful design element.

On display before you even enter the museum. Feel like running 9s on this in the 60s? Balls. Giant balls.

Entering the first section.

Genesis. This is the oldest known Harley. Remember, these guys were just about developing the first versions of everything. When they first formed the buisness, it was The Harley Davidson Motor Company of Milwaukee. Milwaukee at that time was known of the machine shop of the world. Most people are unaware that Milwaukee was a major city up through WWII. It's decline is an interesting story, but a whole other subject.

Another of the early bikes.

One of the many things I learned was that Harley made service bikes and that was a HUGE part of their business for decades.

Another big branch of their business were police bikes.

This is where I'd usually go off on a tirade about the intersection of big business and government, but I'll spare you. Harley was involved with the, shall we call it marketing, of why increasing police (and obviously motorcyle police in particular) would be good for society. They weren't categorically wrong, but holy crikey, check out these posters.

Some of you know I'm a fan of the BMW version of this bike, which saw a ton of combat. The Harley never did, but it looks pretty badass. I'd rock one now. Especially if I could roll with a couple M1s.

Looks kinda goofy now adays, but this set the world speed record in the 30s. Don't remember it off hand, but it was pretty ridiculous when you consider the technology involved.

The engine room was extra cool, showing essentially all the motors, with sounds, from the beginning to present.

The have an onsite restoration facility where you can watch them in progress.

They have hundreds of bikes in storage separate from the main museum.

Definition of a barn find. Harley decided that since this VERY early model was found with absolutely nothing changed form the factory, they wouldn't do anything to it. I wish I would have gotten a better picture.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-01-2011, 04:18 AM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Breaking from the 50s into the 60s Harley thougt they'd have to diversify. How about a Harley Scooter sorta thing?

Or a Golf Cart.

How bout a boat?

Sorry for the junkie picutre. (When you take a pic with a Droid, hold it with two hands or the camera shake from pushing the button screws up the pic.) Harley had a running relationship with an Italian firm and this was one of their creations. Actually a very good looking smaller bike.

Then there were the dark ages, when HD was owned by AFC.

HD has always been loved by its fans, even in dark hours. and customization has always been a part of that. Some people really went for it.

I think my phone ran out of power, there was still a bunch to take photos of and a lot more to tell really, but I thought I'd get at least this much up.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
Neanderthal

Yep, Harleys.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 05-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
Yep, Harleys.
Is this really BRUTAL, or an imposter!?!? I need proof.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #5
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Is this really BRUTAL, or an imposter!?!? I need proof.
Fiats
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 05-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Fiats
Confirmed. Welcome back eh. Any stories to tell? Alien abduction? Sex change operation?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-16-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
Neanderthal

Quote:
Confirmed. Welcome back eh. Any stories to tell? Alien abduction? Sex change operation?
Sex change--didn't like it so I went back. I make a very UGLY woman.

Started building engines again. One of Will's friends brought a 4.0 Jeep 6 cyl to me at 8:00 pm wanting me to assemble it for him. Had it done by 1:30 am that night. Runs great--never put one together before.
I guess I impressed the "group". They want a Chevy V6 upper done, a 69 Chevelle 396 (numbers matching old drag car) engine built, a 350 for a 3/4 deisel truck and 95 Mustang 5.0 for a 91 Ranger Off road truck.

The Vette is drivable again. Will welded and reinforced my front rad support. It was cracked and broken in seven places.

So I'm back.

Going to "American Idol" on Wed. night.

I thought you knew-- I am an "Alien" (ET)

Actually MISSED you guys----damn!
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 05-16-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Sex change--didn't like it so I went back. I make a very UGLY woman.

Started building engines again. One of Will's friends brought a 4.0 Jeep 6 cyl to me at 8:00 pm wanting me to assemble it for him. Had it done by 1:30 am that night. Runs great--never put one together before.
I guess I impressed the "group". They want a Chevy V6 upper done, a 69 Chevelle 396 (numbers matching old drag car) engine built, a 350 for a 3/4 deisel truck and 95 Mustang 5.0 for a 91 Ranger Off road truck.

The Vette is drivable again. Will welded and reinforced my front rad support. It was cracked and broken in seven places.

So I'm back.

Going to "American Idol" on Wed. night.

I thought you knew-- I am an "Alien" (ET)

Actually MISSED you guys----damn!
I thought you were from outer space, that's true. And ahhh, you missed us? Really? As you can tell from the "Where's Glenn" thread you were missed too. We've become marginally more organized, sorta, and have grown some since you've been gone.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
Neanderthal

Quote:
I thought you were from outer space, that's true. And ahhh, you missed us? Really? As you can tell from the "Where's Glenn" thread you were missed too. We've become marginally more organized, sorta, and have grown some since you've been gone.
More organized????? So, we will have ORGANIZED fun?? Oh, boy.

'Where's Glenn' thread--never saw it.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 05-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #10
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
More organized????? So, we will have ORGANIZED fun?? Oh, boy.

'Where's Glenn' thread--never saw it.
You may want to be alone when you read it. You might tear up a bit.

http://motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27438

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)