Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 07-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Converting to E85

This is an old correspondence, from when I was considering doing an E85 LS motor for my Vette. I know st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* (nice username BTW, rolls right off the tounge ) is doing an E85 conversion for his Evo. See below and attached.

Let me personally say I like the idea of domestically produced renewable fuel that is basically the equivalent of race fuel. However, environmentally it is at best a wash and economically a boondoggle. But I still want a ride int he Evo when it's done.
/************************************************** **/
First, let me thank you for your support of E85. Its folks like us, scattered all around the country that are beginning to change the fuel marketplace. Keep talking about E85, keep demanding it and the vehicles that run on it . . . things are starting to move.

Presently, there is not a kit available for converting a gasoline-only vehicle to E85. As you might guess, vehicles and the fuels for them are carefully designed and their emissions, safety and performance are closely monitored and certified. Today's models are certified for up to 10% ethanol
(E10) blends. Conversion kits that are presently available for propane and natural gas vehicles have had undergone extensive and expensive testing to ensure they operate properly. Because E85 vehicles are now standard and the fueling infrastructure is limited, there has not been a large demand for E85 conversions. I should add that we do not advocate fueling a gasoline-only passenger vehicle with E85 (and doing so just might be against federal law, please see attached).

That said, we have heard from many hot rodders, racers and others that have adjusted engine systems to optimized use of E85. Some motorists have simply blended E85 and gasoline into their gasoline-only engines. However, we are not certain what the long-term impact may be on non-compatible components and engine operation. Most of the professionals doing the racing, hot rodding or demonstrating have taken these things into account (and invested in doing so properly).

Long-term use of E85 in a non-Flexible Fuel Vehicle (FFV) could cause damage or failure to the fuel delivery system, or basically anything the fuel touches. These parts would include the fuel pump, fuel injectors, tank, line, filters, etc. On top of that, most computers cannot make the adjustment and will cause the vehicle to run lean, which can actually increase the emissions of that vehicle despite utilizing the cleaner-burning fuel.

The largest difference between an E85 powered vehicle and a gasoline powered vehicle is that their computer modules are meant to read different amounts of oxygen within the fuel. E85 contains a higher amount of oxygen than gasoline and E85 compatible vehicles are made to read that higher amount.
When a higher amount of oxygen is read by a gasoline powered vehicle, your "check engine light" may appear. A number of other parts on the FFV's fuel delivery system are modified to be ethanol-compatible. The fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel injectors, computer system and anti-siphon device have been modified slightly. Alcohol fuels can be more corrosive than gasoline.
Therefore; fuel system parts have been upgraded to be ethanol-compatible.

Currently, more than 6 million E85-compatible flexible fuel vehicles are on U.S. roadways. Unfortunately, most new and used dealers are not well-versed in E85 yet -- so, don't be surprised if you run into to this on your local lot.

For your older car though, here are a few of websites that I have found that I would recommend researching -
www.e85forum.com
http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/id26.html
http://www.westbioenergy.org/reports...5019_final.htm
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...earth/me2.html

It is technically illegal to dispense E85 in the State of California. The National Ethanol Vehicle Coalition is currently working with the California Air Resources Board and the Dept. of Food and Agriculture to overcome some certification issues that would allow the establishment of E85 fueling sites in California. The station in San Diego is selling the fuel under a research permit, but this also requires them to do some very abnormal reporting. There is much pent up demand for the use of E85 in California from motorists like yourself to federal and state fleets. I would anticipate that we'll overcome of the equipment certification barriers soon and have E85 sites in operation. I would recommend contacting your elected officials to express your interest in E85!

I realize these may not be the answers you are looking for. Please keep pushing . . . it is heading in the right direction.

Regards,

Robert White
Project Director
National Ethanol Vehicle Coalition
3118 Emerald Lane, Suite 100
Jefferson City, MO 65109
Phone: (573) 635-8445, Ext. 5
Fax: (573) 635-5466
www.e85fuel.com

-----Original Message-----
To Whom It May Concern:

I'm doing a retrofit of an LS1 into an 82 Corvette. I see there are some LS vehicles that are flex fuel compaitlbe. Is it possible and if so what is required to make an engine Flex Fuel compatible. The fact it is a hi-octane fuel, and my motor has been built for a bit higher compression (11:1~) is appealing.

There is no really close supplier near me in Fullerton CA. Is it possible to pick up and store E85 along the same guidelines as race fuel?

Sincerely,
Attached Files
File Type: doc Why you cannot convert - NEVC Report.doc (116.0 KB, 2 views)

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-08-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Any links for carb conversions? Will you still have to smog once you've done the conversion, or is it like converting to natural gas?
Old 07-08-2008, 09:28 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Any links for carb conversions? Will you still have to smog once you've done the conversion, or is it like converting to natural gas?

I don't know about emissions, maybe our new evo friend has looked into that as he's doing the conversion. I think the first link above (tripod) has some stuff about modding the carburetor. I know this from the old-timers at the track. There's only so much fuel even a giant carb can flow, and because alcohol is considerably less energy dense you have to flow a lot more to support the same power (all other things being equal). In your case, you may run into carb problems, but man is it ideal of blown applications.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-09-2008, 01:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I don't know about emissions, maybe our new evo friend has looked into that as he's doing the conversion. I think the first link above (tripod) has some stuff about modding the carburetor. I know this from the old-timers at the track. There's only so much fuel even a giant carb can flow, and because alcohol is considerably less energy dense you have to flow a lot more to support the same power (all other things being equal). In your case, you may run into carb problems, but man is it ideal of blown applications.

its possible to run e85 on a carb i was talking to some old timers about it who did it in the 70's but i would say e85 is gonna find its target market in the forced induction scene. being as how the variable compression ratio the boost gives u does damn wonders when mixed with a fuel that has so many usable attributes to tame those variables and keep organized and safe.

also for an idea of how much fuel your gonna be needing for e85 look at my e85 write up thread i just did. i converted the japanese injector sizings with lb's to give u domestic guys a clue as how much ur gonna be flowing on a forced indution engine/
Old 07-09-2008, 03:36 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* View Post
its possible to run e85 on a carb i was talking to some old timers about it who did it in the 70's but i would say e85 is gonna find its target market in the forced induction scene. being as how the variable compression ratio the boost gives u does damn wonders when mixed with a fuel that has so many usable attributes to tame those variables and keep organized and safe.

also for an idea of how much fuel your gonna be needing for e85 look at my e85 write up thread i just did. i converted the japanese injector sizings with lb's to give u domestic guys a clue as how much ur gonna be flowing on a forced indution engine/
This is carbed and forced induction. What about smog? Do you still have to smog after the conversion?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:25 AM   #6

Quote:
This is carbed and forced induction. What about smog? Do you still have to smog after the conversion?
there is no required smog that goes along with it at least in california. because in california it is illigal to convert ur car to run on e85 if it was not originally made to run on e85.

the only smog i will see is in a few years *because my car is still new* and when i have to take it every other year after that for the dmv when my tags need to get renewed

and also if your car was made b4 1975-1976 as most of you classic car guys now u dotn have to smog your car ever at all period! you can drop a fighter jet engine in your car alone with a flux capasitor, and kid nap russian dignitarys and you still wouldnt have to smog your car!
Old 07-09-2008, 01:06 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Mines a 78 and Bens is an 82.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #8
Neanderthal

Quote:
Mines a 78 and Bens is an 82.
Mine's is a 64--------
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 07-09-2008, 07:29 PM   #9
Super Moderator