Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 05-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default CARB swap rules

Didn't I argue with you about this Ben? Saying that you can smog a car with an LS as long as it was newer than your model year, even if it didn't come with a V8 configuration?
Old 05-19-2010, 12:19 AM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Didn't I argue with you about this Ben? Saying that you can smog a car with an LS as long as it was newer than your model year, even if it didn't come with a V8 configuration?
Yes you did. He should go to that ref because I gauran-fuc*ing-tee it'll get bounced from other refs. I looked into this A LOT and talked to refs, who said no. Get that sticker. It's gold.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-19-2010, 12:28 AM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Keep in mind I actually did this through the fully legal ref process, it's not speculative. I put a modern V8 into a C3 Vette.

No shit the ref made me:

- Relabel the check engine light
- Get a Charcoal canister from a Camaro (declared vehicle) because that charcoal canister is, well, a canister with charcoal in it just like the one I had

But my personal favorite:
- I upgraded the PVC system to the later Vette style, not the 2001 Camaro as my declaration was. He made me put on the older oil burning system. . . seriously.

They can be very pedantic. So if you found a ref that will let a V8 fly in an RX DO IT NOW.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-19-2010, 02:04 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Yes you did. He should go to that ref because I gauran-fuc*ing-tee it'll get bounced from other refs. I looked into this A LOT and talked to refs, who said no. Get that sticker. It's gold.
I knew I read that law correctly. You can't rely on those who enforce the law. They don't know it well. After a semester of Criminal Procedure I can attest to this.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:41 AM   #5

And remember, the seller caries ALL responsibilty for car being smog legal. According to the instructor in my update smog license class, under the law, no such thing called " as is " for smog. He stated cases where the seller sold a car without a smog cert. The buyers failed smog, had car repaired, and sued the seller for cost of repairs and won. Could be instructor BS, trying to scare techs.

In my California BAR Smog tech newsletter, they just had a article where the enforcement agency is buying cars off criagslist and Autotrader that are not smog legal , but have a smog cert. Then they go after the seller and the tech that passed them. One of the cars in the article was a LS motor in a 240sx that was not legal. Fines run into $15,000-$20,000 range. And can be charged a felony .
Old 05-19-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdracer73 View Post
And remember, the seller caries ALL responsibilty for car being smog legal. According to the instructor in my update smog license class, under the law, no such thing called " as is " for smog. He stated cases where the seller sold a car without a smog cert. The buyers failed smog, had car repaired, and sued the seller for cost of repairs and won. Could be instructor BS, trying to scare techs.

In my California BAR Smog tech newsletter, they just had a article where the enforcement agency is buying cars off criagslist and Autotrader that are not smog legal , but have a smog cert. Then they go after the seller and the tech that passed them. One of the cars in the article was a LS motor in a 240sx that was not legal. Fines run into $15,000-$20,000 range. And can be charged a felony .
You should be fine if you sell it as non-op. If you're really scared just have them sign something acknowledging that it's a project car not not street legal.

You really think it would fly if I bought a purpose built race car and then sued the owner because it didn't smog?

Contracts just need to be sufficiently definite.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
You should be fine if you sell it as non-op. If you're really scared just have them sign something acknowledging that it's a project car not not street legal.

You really think it would fly if I bought a purpose built race car and then sued the owner because it didn't smog?

Contracts just need to be sufficiently definite.
I thought this thread was about smog rules and swaps. Not race cars, that do not apply to smog rules . If you wanna drive on the street, gotta be smogged. Unless it is older than 75.

"You should be fine if you sell it as non-op"

"cases where the seller sold a car without a smog cert. The buyers failed smog, had car repaired, and sued the seller for cost of repairs and won. Could be instructor BS, trying to scare techs. "

I put the disclaimer in about the instructor BS for that reason. When I get time , I will research what the state says.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #9

I got the sticker for my swap. Definitely worth more than it's weight in gold. If you do ANY engine swapping from one model engine to another model engine, even if it is the same generic "kind" of engine that the car had (I4, I6, V6, V8), you officially need to have it approved by a Referee. If it is newer than 1976 then this law applies. The engine must be the same year or newer than the target vehicle, and the engine must retain all original emissions controls from the vehicle you got the engine from. If it was an OBD2 vehicle then you have to swap over all OBD2 electronic/EVAP/fuel systems & OEM/CARB approved exhaust FROM THE DONOR VEHICLE to the end of the catalytic converters - any exhaust after the catalytic converters is legal as long as it is within the dB limits, but that is something for CHP to check - not the Referee. They do check serial numbers on the engine & PCM, so be sure to state exactly what vehicle you got it from (VIN). They also do a visual inspection for OEM type Cats. I do not believe they do sniffer tests at Referee stations (they didn't do it for mine) but they do visual and PCM checks. For example, if you have the rear O2 sensors tuned out it will show up as Not Ready and likely cause you to fail the inspection, since the Referee knows the donor vehicle is OBD2 and is supposed to have rear o2s.

Side note: my car was lowered so much that they didn't do a visual inspection on the charcoal canister or catalytic converter part numbers. He did ask me about the charcoal canister and fuel pump/lines and I told him the fuel pump/lines are different, but the wiring harness was correct for the new V8 pump/lines I swapped in and that the charcoal canister shouldn't be different and he agreed on that part. They also didn't put it on a lift/rack to inspect the underside, just inspected the engine/PCM.

This process is A LOT easier when it's a "bolt-in" type deal.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #10

A list of what I swapped for a bolt-in smog legal swap on an F-body '99 3.8L V6 (L36) to '01 LS1:

V8 Radiator
V8 K-member + motor mounts
V8 engine
V8 stock exhaust manifolds
brand new OEM cats
brand new O2 sensors
transmission
engine bay wiring harness + computer
smog pump (AIS/AIR)
fuel lines
fuel pump
EVAP system
misc. wiring issues

If it wasn't an F-body I'd have to make sure the EVAP fuel system wiring and the EVAP [charcoal] canister was correctly installed and working and that the PCV/EGR/AIS[AIR] system was what came on the donor vehicle engine from the factory & was functioning properly. Having a VIN for the donor vehicle also helps the Referee quickly verify that parts aren't stolen. In my case, I had the pink slip.