Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 09-28-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
Fast & Filthy

Default My Explorer (Solid Axle Swap)

Ever since we decided to do a run I'm been working hard to finish my Explorer. It started out as an independent front suspension that had about an inch and a half lift from twisting the torsion bars. Now it's about 4 inches higher with a Dana 30 front axle out of a '88 Cherokee. The only part of it that I didn't do myself was the steering which was done by Randy at Randy's Offroad in Azusa. However, I have to redo it because the tie rod bar is just twisting. I've started the conversion over to high steering which will move the drag link above the passenger spring.

The only things I have left is to make the drag link, have the driveshaft lengthened (should be done in a couple days), install 4.56 gears and then put it up on 33's.

Here's some pictures of the work.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:08 PM   #2
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

What engine is in that Explorer? Is it a V6 or a V8?
Old 09-28-2008, 10:23 PM   #3
Fast & Filthy

It's the stock 160hp 4.0 V6. In '95 Ford only put the 4.0 in the 4x4. The 5.0 V8 is all wheel drive so you don't have a low range which I wanted when I bought the truck. Eric (eric97srad) has a '97 with the 5.0.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:39 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Sorry bro but you're going to need to jack it up another inch for some 35s. 35s on Exploders look sweeet.

This was Justin Singh's Exploder in Trabuco Canyon.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:38 AM   #5
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Sorry bro but you're going to need to jack it up another inch for some 35s. 35s on Exploders look sweeet.

I do want to lift it about another 2 inches but I don't want to run 35's. To run 35's I would have to cut the rear quarters and I don't want to do that. Also, I'm only running a Dana 30 and would be afraid of breaking an axle with 35's.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I do want to lift it about another 2 inches but I don't want to run 35's. To run 35's I would have to cut the rear quarters and I don't want to do that. Also, I'm only running a Dana 30 and would be afraid of breaking an axle with 35's.
For problems there are only solutions.

My friend never cut his fenders, the tires would rarely tuck underneath, and the few times that they did they left barely any evidence of it on the tire. He had Deavers, they were pretty soft too. Also, he ran the stock diff and he beat the sh*t out of it, it always held up fine.

If you think it would look cool, consider it. And remeber, tire diameter is the only way to gain diff clearance.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:42 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Also if you're handy with a welder you should consider plating the underside of the front crossmember. And maybe even adding a strut tower brace. Those spots can crack on exploders after big jumps. I speak from experience.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Justin crack the frame on his Explorer? I'm not sure he's the guy I'd want to emulate if that's the case
Old 09-29-2008, 01:40 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Justin crack the frame on his Explorer? I'm not sure he's the guy I'd want to emulate if that's the case
Yup, read the post above yours. But that had to do with the way he hit the jump, he hit the brakes just before the jump, causing the nose to dive. And it was a massive jump, he got at least 5 feet of air at the lowest spot and came down on the front end. And he didn't have enough suspension for the jump.

That has nothing to do with tire size, if anything, more tire would offer more cushion.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:35 PM   #10
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Also if you're handy with a welder you should consider plating the underside of the front crossmember. And maybe even adding a strut tower brace. Those spots can crack on exploders after big jumps. I speak from experience.
I no longer have the cross member I cut it all out to do the solid axle swap. The stock front suspension had about 5 inches of travel and my new front has 10 inches straight up and down.

As for the rear travel, I only have home made springs in the rear but I have issues with my 31's rubbing. I also have the longest shock I can fit under the truck which I believe has 10 inches of travel but it might be 12 and if I unbolt the shocks the rear axle will drop another 4 inches before the brake line starts to pull.

In this picture you can see how far up the wheel goes.

Sorry I no longer have a large picture.