Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 08-02-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk
Default My Wife bought me a sweet bicycle for our anniversary!!!

My wife is the best. I had been saying I wouldn't mind having a bike to ride around on to try to actually get some exercise (and save some gas for really short trips) and she bought me one for our upcoming first anniversary. I'll post pics soon. What an awesome day - a great Angeles Crest cruise, and a new bike
Old 08-02-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-02-2008, 10:44 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to SexyLxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
?
Yes Ben, a Uni-cycle.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:11 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I know how to ride a unicycle. Does that make me...
Old 08-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
Resident Avatar Gambler

Just got back from a little 6 mile ride to break the bike in. Once things cooled down a bit, it was quite nice.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:05 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to SexyLxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Just got back from a little 6 mile ride to break the bike in. Once things cooled down a bit, it was quite nice.
Oh my ass...Oh my legs...Oh my lungs.....sooooooo out of shape!
Old 08-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #7
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyLxy View Post
Oh my ass...Oh my legs...Oh my lungs.....sooooooo out of shape!
That's great you guys are trying to get some excercise.

Today was my long training ride and my lungs hurt too, which usually they don't. I think the air must have bee a little funky.

Some things that'll make you cycling more pleasant.

RIDING
-Tire Pressure
Bike tires lose pressure fast. Check and fill before every ride.

- Bike Setup
A pro fit might be a bit much, but you should do some Googling on how to setup your bike. Unless you just lucked out, your bike is probably not setup for your body at all. THIS MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE in your speed and comfort and helps prevent injuries.

- Cadence
This is like RPM for a car. Generally you want to "spin" a bit a higher RPM than you think. Depends on your body but around 90rpm is a fair starting point. Combined with proper bike setup, this makes a big difference on how long/hard you can ride. If you push a small gear, the way your muscles are working is very different than spinning a big one.

- Warm up
Go easy for about 10 minutes when you start riding before stepping up the pace if you're going to ride hard.

- Stretch
Stretch thoroughly after you ride. This will make a huge difference in reducing pain and suffering after a ride.

- Hydration
You probably aren't going to ride so long or hard, but never underestimate how important taking on fluids is, even on a casual hour long ride. For competitive hard riding, the estimates are around 8 ounces every 15 MINUTES. My guess is you should take at least 8 ounces an hour even on a casual ride, more if it's hot obviously. This makes a huge difference in how pleasant your ride is. Get it wrong and it's even dangerous.

- Calories
If you're going to ride for more than hour, might want to take a little bar or banana with you and eat at around an hour. Never set off on a ride hungry. You're asking for trouble. If you haven't eaten in a while. Have a small bite to eat around an hour before riding. You want HIH complex carbs, like oatmeal. This will release slowly as energy for your body to burn.

COMFORT
- Bike shorts, or diaper pants as I like to call them.
You don't need the tight ones. They make ones that just look like shorts but have a pad in them. Spend the extra money for a good pair that will last and give you plenty of padding. You typically don't wear underwear with these. This prevents the seams in underwear from rubbing you raw.

- Butt butter
Yes, that's what it's called (as memory serves). There are similar products. If you find yourself getting rubbed raw (different people are different), this can really make a difference. Just smear it all over the pad in your shorts.

- Light colored clothing on a hot day, no need to turn your body into a heat sink.

- Sun block, especially for you crackers.

- Athletic socks. You get these at running stores, maybe Chic's , etc. They wick the sweat away from your feet. Thick cotton ones can become misearable.

- Gloves
Nicely padded gloves can help prevent your arms from going numb from shock.

SAFETY
-Wear a helmet! Even a gentle spill off a bike is enough force to turn you into a vegetable if you're unlucky. Spend a little extra money for the well ventilated ones. You expel a lot of heat through your head.

- Wear glasses. A bug in the eye at even 10mph is not fun.

- Bring a tire repair kit, and you might want to practice at home.

- Cell phone for emergencies.

- You might want to learn basic bike signlas for slowing and turning. But ALWAYS call out if you're going to pass someone. NEVER assume they know you're coming. Make it loud and clear. You never know when someone is going to suddenly swerve. Slow down for kids. They're off in their own world's god love em'.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-04-2008, 12:06 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to vonage6591

Quote:
- Butt butter
If you find yourself getting rubbed raw (different people are different), this can really make a difference.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:06 AM   #9
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonage6591 View Post
HAHAHAHA
Old 08-04-2008, 02:25 PM   #10
Neanderthal

Quote:
That's great you guys are trying to get some excercise.

Today was my long training ride and my lungs hurt too, which usually they don't. I think the air must have bee a little funky.

Some things that'll make you cycling more pleasant.

RIDING
-Tire Pressure
Bike tires lose pressure fast. Check and fill before every ride.

- Bike Setup
A pro fit might be a bit much, but you should do some Googling on how to setup your bike. Unless you just lucked out, your bike is probably not setup for your body at all. THIS MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE in your speed and comfort and helps prevent injuries.

- Cadence
This is like RPM for a car. Generally you want to "spin" a bit a higher RPM than you think. Depends on your body but around 90rpm is a fair starting point. Combined with proper bike setup, this makes a big difference on how long/hard you can ride. If you push a small gear, the way your muscles are working is very different than spinning a big one.

- Warm up
Go easy for about 10 minutes when you start riding before stepping up the pace if you're going to ride hard.

- Stretch
Stretch thoroughly after you ride. This will make a huge difference in reducing pain and suffering after a ride.

- Hydration
You probably aren't going to ride so long or hard, but never underestimate how important taking on fluids is, even on a casual hour long ride. For competitive hard riding, the estimates are around 8 ounces every 15 MINUTES. My guess is you should take at least 8 ounces an hour even on a casual ride, more if it's hot obviously. This makes a huge difference in how pleasant your ride is. Get it wrong and it's even dangerous.

- Calories
If you're going to ride for more than hour, might want to take a little bar or banana with you and eat at around an hour. Never set off on a ride hungry. You're asking for trouble. If you haven't eaten in a while. Have a small bite to eat around an hour before riding. You want HIH complex carbs, like oatmeal. This will release slowly as energy for your body to burn.

COMFORT
- Bike shorts, or diaper pants as I like to call them.
You don't need the tight ones. They make ones that just look like shorts but have a pad in them. Spend the extra money for a good pair that will last and give you plenty of padding. You typically don't wear underwear with these. This prevents the seams in underwear from rubbing you raw.

- Butt butter
Yes, that's what it's called (as memory serves). There are similar products. If you find yourself getting rubbed raw (different people are different), this can really make a difference. Just smear it all over the pad in your shorts.

- Light colored clothing on a hot day, no need to turn your body into a heat sink.

- Sun block, especially for you crackers.

- Athletic socks. You get these at running stores, maybe Chic's , etc. They wick the sweat away from your feet. Thick cotton ones can become misearable.

- Gloves
Nicely padded gloves can help prevent your arms from going numb from shock.

SAFETY
-Wear a helmet! Even a gentle spill off a bike is enough force to turn you into a vegetable if you're unlucky. Spend a little extra money for the well ventilated ones. You expel a lot of heat through your head.

- Wear glasses. A bug in the eye at even 10mph is not fun.

- Bring a tire repair kit, and you might want to practice at home.

- Cell phone for emergencies.

- You might want to learn basic bike signlas for slowing and turning. But ALWAYS call out if you're going to pass someone. NEVER assume they know you're coming. Make it loud and clear. You never know when someone is going to suddenly swerve. Slow down for kids. They're off in their own world's god love em'.

I have a custom built 10 speed built for me in 1976.

What you wrote just takes all the fun out of riding a bike. A bug in the eye is just part of the fun of riding a bike.
2016 Nissan Altma