Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 04-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #1

Default Definition of a Project (no 56k)

So I invited Jerry over to my place to help me with a cooling issue I had with my Firebird a few months ago right after the engine swap. Big mistake. He saw my future project vehicle and immediately jizzed in his pants. I haven't touched it except to repair some electrical since buying it. Anyways, he says I can't keep it a secret any more and that I have to post pics and info of my project (or nightmare?).

It's a 1972 International Scout II V8 4x4. Has the original International V8 motor which was rebuilt who-knows-when-ago, 35" super swamper tires, and a whole bunch of fading paint and rust. It ran recently but has been sitting. I'm sure we can get it running again if we put a battery in and do an oil change. The right rear tire had a slow leak and wasn't refilled in time so the bead/seal on the tire got broken. I jacked the rear end back up and let the tire sit for a few months to re-form but I honestly don't know if it's save-able. The passenger side door doesn't open and the internals will probably have to be replaced. The glass is still pretty good without cracks or major pitting. It has a removable hard top and I have a bolt-in roll cage sitting on the side along with a bin or two of parts for it. Front driveshaft is not hooked up right now, but was told it was probably in one of the parts bins.

My Firebird and Jeep took priority because they are more practical, and never have the time to work on this project. At least it doesn't have smog checks!

Here are the pics:

More pics soon...
Old 04-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #2

Old 04-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #3

Oh yeah, if anybody could tell me more info about the parts it currently has on it, that'd be great! I honestly don't know much about 4x4 mods, upgrade parts, etc.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZexGX View Post
Oh yeah, if anybody could tell me more info about the parts it currently has on it, that'd be great! I honestly don't know much about 4x4 mods, upgrade parts, etc.
Cool truck! Needs alot of love though. The rear diff. is a GM Corp. 14 bolt full floater, The front Diff. is a GM Corp. 10 bolt with eight lug knuckles, came in 1/2 and 3/4ton models. The diffs. are more than likely from the same truck which would have been a 3/4 ton pick-up or suburban from 1979 to mid 1990's, my guess is mid to late 80's. The 16.5 wheel size was stock on 3/4 ton chevy's, the tires cost less but the tire options have become limited and the big down fall to the 16.5 is that there is no bead protector in the wheel to keep the tire on when you run low air pressure.The engine could be a 304cid or 345cid both came with two barrel carbs. The transfer case I can't see very well but it looks like a Dana model 20 and the manual transmission could be a T-90.

p.s. those rear u-bolt brackets need to have some sort of spacer inside and the front ones are just scary. Also some shocks would be good.
Time to fire that baby up!
Old 04-19-2010, 05:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle Crazy View Post
Cool truck! Needs alot of love though...

p.s. those rear u-bolt brackets need to have some sort of spacer inside and the front ones are just scary. Also some shocks would be good.
Time to fire that baby up!
Thanks for the info! That actually helps a lot. Yeah, it needs a LOT of love. The spacers are indeed scary and shocks definitely would be nice. I'm not really into 4x4ing so this project has been sitting for years. I have a Jeep with at least $5k in mods thanks to the previous owner if I need to go anywhere questionable, but I still don't go to enough questionable places to justify spending any time/money on this Scout. At least cars don't really rust out here which is nice. Somebody right down the road had a 59 El Camino sitting in their yard (in original but unkept for shape) for years and years and it just sold recently. There was no way that thing been painted or washed since 1985 and it was still in fair shape.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZexGX View Post
Thanks for the info! That actually helps a lot. Yeah, it needs a LOT of love. The spacers are indeed scary and shocks definitely would be nice. I'm not really into 4x4ing so this project has been sitting for years. I have a Jeep with at least $5k in mods thanks to the previous owner if I need to go anywhere questionable, but I still don't go to enough questionable places to justify spending any time/money on this Scout. At least cars don't really rust out here which is nice. Somebody right down the road had a 59 El Camino sitting in their yard (in original but unkept for shape) for years and years and it just sold recently. There was no way that thing been painted or washed since 1985 and it was still in fair shape.
No problem. I am sure you know once you start all your time and money have away of disappearing.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:04 PM   #7

You call that a project?????? (just kidding)

It did look like this at one point

Old 04-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #8

oh sorry for the thread jacking
Old 04-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #9
FWD = FAIL

Old 04-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackax View Post
oh sorry for the thread jacking
No prob, I needed that reality check... LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heypal View Post