Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 07-29-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
Neanderthal

Default 7.1 or 5.1 surround sound?

Ok, boys and girls educate me on the "new" stuff. What I need to know, what's hot and whats not. The more power the better. I can figure out anything so blast away with specs and shit.

This is a "possible" replacement for my KR 9600 home Stereo that I have beat hard for 30 years.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 07-29-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
Ok, boys and girls educate me on the "new" stuff. What I need to know, what's hot and whats not. The more power the better. I can figure out anything so blast away with specs and shit.

This is a "possible" replacement for my KR 9600 home Stereo that I have beat hard for 30 years.
What do you want as an end result? Do intend to hook up >=6 speakers for that Home Theater surround experience or do you just want two good stereo channels?

Do you have or will you get a DVD/HDDVD/Blu-Ray wit discreet channel output, whether analog or digital?

Basically 5.1 is the more common "standard". But you can still get receiver/amps with just stereo channels.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-29-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
What do you want as an end result? Do intend to hook up >=6 speakers for that Home Theater surround experience or do you just want two good stereo channels?

Do you have or will you get a DVD/HDDVD/Blu-Ray wit discreet channel output, whether analog or digital?

Basically 5.1 is the more common "standard". But you can still get receiver/amps with just stereo channels.
Ok, here goes: The KR 9600 was the Top of Line in 1977. I want to go Top of the Line again, it doesn't need to go 30 years. I'd be too old by then. I like my tunes loud and everywhere.

I already have 4 great speakers. Just tell me what is the best to have and what brand names are the best. Goodies I would need to have and specs to look for.

Yes, Blue Ray/HDDVD discreet channel out put ( not sure what that is yet).

Remember I've had the 9600 for 30 years and cranked it up to make your ears bleed. I want the same thing but in all up to date latest trick shit.

Throw the big words/works and specs at me and I'll sort it all out.

I catch up fast.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 07-29-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
Ok, here goes: The KR 9600 was the Top of Line in 1977. I want to go Top of the Line again, it doesn't need to go 30 years. I'd be too old by then. I like my tunes loud and everywhere.

I already have 4 great speakers. Just tell me what is the best to have and what brand names are the best. Goodies I would need to have and specs to look for.

Yes, Blue Ray/HDDVD discreet channel out put ( not sure what that is yet).

Remember I've had the 9600 for 30 years and cranked it up to make your ears bleed. I want the same thing but in all up to date latest trick shit.

Throw the big words/works and specs at me and I'll sort it all out.

I catch up fast.
Well, top of the line, goes into the stratosphere for cost, so what's your budget is the next good question.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-29-2009, 06:25 PM   #5

7.1 Surround? Holy kwap. You Kali guys get all the good stuff. I'm just getting my coconut wrapped around 5.1!!

And for the record--

Discreet output is what you get from that little cutie your significant other dosen't know about.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #6

if you blueray, you need the HDMI cable to get the full usage.. if your TV is not new, it won't have it.. i had to start from sq one with my home system..

50 flat screen panasonic..
sony blueray player..
sony head unit with 100 watts each channel (500 total)

i love my Bose cubes, that are the shit .. i also have a 15 sub in the corner, kicking the bass..

Old 07-29-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
Fast & Filthy

Forget 7.1 unless you have a huge room. It's a waist of money. I'm also using the Bose Acoustimass 15 in my family room but I'm not that happy with the sound. For one the cubes lack the briliant highs I enjoy. However, when I bought my house my wife wanted small speakers that we could mount up on the walls and they sounded the best out of the small speakers we listened to. They work okay for movies but not for music. Same goes for the subwoofer. Although it sounds fine with movies with music the 5 1/2 woofers tend to pop when turned up. I added a 500watt RMS Sony subwoofer with dual 10s behind my TV so that I could turn the Bose subwoofer down. That resolved the bass issue but not the highs. You also don't need a ton of power as 100-150 watts RMS will go pretty loud without breaking the bank.

In my loft I have a cheap KLH 5.1 speaker system that sounds decent for the cheap price I paid for it. They have the highrange that the Bose are missing but they also lack in the midrange where the Bose shine. They also have a 100watt RMS powered 10 inch subwoofer that again sounds pretty good for being a cheap sub.

What 4 speakers do you currently have, make and size? Do you have a powered subwoofer or non-powered subwoofer? If not, are you planning to add either to the system? The reason I ask is because some receivers have power for the subwoofer where others do not in which case the subwoofer would have to have it's own amp.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:30 AM   #8
FWD = FAIL

Whats your budget. I know of a set of speakers that go for 65k. Made of oak pissed on by a retarded monkey or someshit. CES show is awesome for crazy stuff like that. Its not at the convention center its in some guys hotel room. The whole hotel gets rented out and thats where you see the coolest most expensive stuff. And hookers.
BUT on a real note, what is your budget?
Old 07-30-2009, 01:48 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Unless you have a fiber optic or an hdmi or a digital coax connection to your amp, it will only be 2 channel anyways. Also, if you don't know how to setup the amp to play in 5 channel mode, which is common, you'll end up with 5 speakers playing stereo.

Keep in mind, few things are recorded in 5 channel or higher, and even fewer in 7 channel. If it comes down to sacrificing speaker quality for the extra two channels, I say forget it.

Then again, if you're buying your speakers at Best Buy or Circuit City, you have a 95% chance of ending up with shitty speakers, even higher if you buy what the salesman recommends.

Question to help your purchase: Does your satellite/ cable box have a digital audio out of some kind? Does your DVD player have a digital out of some kind? If not, you will get only stereo from that source.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:40 AM   #10
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Forget 7.1 unless you have a huge room. It's a waist of money. I'm also using the Bose Acoustimass 15 in my family room but I'm not that happy with the sound. For one the cubes lack the briliant highs I enjoy. However, when I bought my house my wife wanted small speakers that we could mount up on the walls and they sounded the best out of the small speakers we listened to. They work okay for movies but not for music. Same goes for the subwoofer. Although it sounds fine with movies with music the 5 1/2 woofers tend to pop when turned up. I added a 500watt RMS Sony subwoofer with dual 10s behind my TV so that I could turn the Bose subwoofer down. That resolved the bass issue but not the highs. You also don't need a ton of power as 100-150 watts RMS will go pretty loud without breaking the bank.

In my loft I have a cheap KLH 5.1 speaker system that sounds decent for the cheap price I paid for it. They have the highrange that the Bose are missing but they also lack in the midrange where the Bose shine. They also have a 100watt RMS powered 10 inch subwoofer that again sounds pretty good for being a cheap sub.

What 4 speakers do you currently have, make and size? Do you have a powered subwoofer or non-powered subwoofer? If not, are you planning to add either to the system? The reason I ask is because some receivers have power for the subwoofer where others do not in which case the subwoofer would have to have it's own amp.

I have stacked Advents. They have 8 inch woofers and custom tweeters.

They are very clear and crisp.

Will get a sub-woofer if needed.
2016 Nissan Altma