Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 09-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #21
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Sean, what's your best time and what do you have done to your Cobra?
My best time was 12.78 I believe at 113mph. It was about 1000 degrees out though and I forgot ice for the blower I have a 2.76 upper, tune, borla exhaust, and an intake. It put down 455RWHP and 455RWTQ when it was iced down. This was also on drag radials. Of course, my best 60' of the day was still only like 2.0. The track wasn't hooking well at all. I think at California Speedway on a nicer day, with more practice, and with a cold blower the car is good for maybe 12.2-12.4@somewhere between 114 and 117mph.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #22
Fast & Filthy

Ya, I don't buy the 10's at 129 with only a pulley and stripped interior. With a129mph trap speed he has to be making somewhere near 650-700hp at the flywheel.

Are you going to run your car at the Street Legals in November?
Old 09-12-2008, 11:29 AM   #23
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Ya, I don't buy the 10's at 129 with only a pulley and stripped interior. With a129mph trap speed he has to be making somewhere near 650-700hp at the flywheel.

Are you going to run your car at the Street Legals in November?
It depends a lot on other factors like weight, gearing and at that speed, aero, but FWIW, the best trap of a bone stock C6Z (3,150lbs, moderate gearing, 505BHP, pretty good aero) that I know of is 129. Again, great driver, ringer track.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 09-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #24
Fast & Filthy

Let's change this up a bit since everyone has an opinion on what it will take to get their cars in the 10's. How many of you are running what you thought your car would run before you took it to the track. How about the hp? Does it make as much as you thought it would? I'll start.

For the Chevelle, when I started building the engine I thought it would run in the 11.70-11.80 range. My best time on the engine has been an 11.11. So it's faster than I thought it would be. However, when I was building the engine I predicted it would make around 550hp at the flywheel and I put down 461hp at the wheels.

The Cobra made more hp then I thought. I thought it would make about 400rwhp and it made 433 with the supercharger belt slipping. As for the time it's right where I thought it would be with a best of 11.69.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:54 PM   #25
Internet Tough Guy

Quote:
Let's change this up a bit since everyone has an opinion on what it will take to get their cars in the 10's. How many of you are running what you thought your car would run before you took it to the track. How about the hp? Does it make as much as you thought it would? I'll start.

For the Chevelle, when I started building the engine I thought it would run in the 11.70-11.80 range. My best time on the engine has been an 11.11. So it's faster than I thought it would be. However, when I was building the engine I predicted it would make around 550hp at the flywheel and I put down 461hp at the wheels.

The Cobra made more hp then I thought. I thought it would make about 400rwhp and it made 433 with the supercharger belt slipping. As for the time it's right where I thought it would be with a best of 11.69.
I'm going to through this out there. My car has run a best of 12.3 @120. Which is slower than i thought. Makes 460 rwhp with 417 rw ft-lbs. I thought the MPH would be faster, but I've only ran the car this summer at Firebird internaitonal raceway and California Speedway. I don't know how much the car will run on a sticky track with temps less than the mid nineties.

You can make the aguement that your car runs faster than what you thought, but you drag race your car regularly. It's also a drag race car. I built my car for road courses.

By the way No way that Cobra was only pullied!
Old 09-12-2008, 02:07 PM   #26
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
I'm going to through this out there. My car has run a best of 12.3 @120. Which is slower than i thought. Makes 460 rwhp with 417 rw ft-lbs. I thought the MPH would be faster, but I've only ran the car this summer at Firebird internaitonal raceway and California Speedway. I don't know how much the car will run on a sticky track with temps less than the mid nineties.

You can make the aguement that your car runs faster than what you thought, but you drag race your car regularly. It's also a drag race car. I built my car for road courses.

By the way No way that Cobra was only pullied!

Well, if a C6Z, which is what 435RWHP?, runs high 120s (almost 130) with a great driver and ringer track, you should certainly be able to improve on your 120 at a better track. I haven't done a detailed analysis, but off the cuff it seems like purpose built cars run about as fast at CSW on a good day as anywhere else. HOWEVER, high(er) performance street cars and motorcycles run about 0.5 - 1.0+ second slower at CSW. I mean C6Zs are running low 12s, where they run mid 11s everywhere else in the country with very average drivers. Anyway, I guess that wasn't really the question.

I expected my motor to make 400-410 RWHP, it makes 391 (but lots is still on the table with tuning and exhaust). I expected to run low 12s and I'm solidly in the mid/upper 12s. If I did nothing but tack the front half of an Irwindale run on the the back half of a CSW run, I'd be in the low 12s easy. I guess we can't do that thought.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 09-12-2008, 02:41 PM   #27

in my current set up i was hoping for 390-400hp according to my tuning software i made my goal.

and as for the 1/4th i was hoping for an 11.9

but i ran a 12.5 because of a slipping burned stock clutch and some cheap as tires which still churp hard on an awd car :-( and my 60' was 1.9 i know i could cut that down to at least a 1.7 maybe a 1.6 and the eather that day was 100+ degrees
Old 09-12-2008, 02:58 PM   #28
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
What does you building your car for road courses have to do with the Chevelle running faster than I thought it would? I've owned the Chevelle since I was 16. When I first started racing it it ran mid 14's. Also, the Cobra isn't set up for drag racing and it ran right where I thought it would.

My point was that just because someone has something done to their car and you do the same thing to your car (assuming they are the same type of cars) doesn't mean yours will run the same as theirs. I've talked with many prople who were racing their cars at the track for the first time and they think their car will run deep in the 11's only to run high 12's or 13's.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:18 PM   #29
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* View Post
in my current set up i was hoping for 390-400hp according to my tuning software i made my goal.

and as for the 1/4th i was hoping for an 11.9

but i ran a 12.5 because of a slipping burned stock clutch and some cheap as tires which still churp hard on an awd car :-( and my 60' was 1.9 i know i could cut that down to at least a 1.7 maybe a 1.6 and the eather that day was 100+ degrees
Is that stock turbo or your new turbo? You were getting a new turbo right?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 09-12-2008, 03:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Is that stock turbo or your new turbo? You were getting a new turbo right?
ya that run was on the stock turbo set to 27psi but the stock turbo tapers boost from 5k -redline so by the time im at 7k rpm im at 20-19psi which is basicly stock boost

my new turbo should hold what ever psi i have it set too to redline im probably gonna run 32psi

i guy on the evo forums back east made a 9.99 @ 139mph pass with that turbo with a full wieght interior and stock engine excpet for cams and e85 pretty much the same set up i have. and for the next run he gutted hin interior and trunk and made a 9.46@140mph pass......and its a stock frame turbo that used the stock header and downpipe it looks stock so no one but me will know whats up except for me and the guy i just hustled for that green :-)