Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #1

Default Your thoughts on auto grade paint loaded into aerosol cans?

I'm considering painting my spare front bumper cover as the GT's current one is junk. Never take the fog light bar out for the sake of racing. Lol. Lesson learned.

So what are thoughts on this? Good idea, bad idea, you smoking crack redneck?

If any of you have done this would ya mind sharing some tips & tricks?
Old 12-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
pain's fun, hit me again

Bad idea, and you're smoking crack redneck. I have used it and it turns out like any other paint from a can, just costs 3 times as much. If you want your car to look like an orange go for it.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 12-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Where are you located? If you're close to OC or SD you can buy the paint, prep it, and I'll spray it for... $50. PM me for how to prep it.

Shaolin has a guy that will spray it and do all the prep too I'm pretty sure.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Where are you located? If you're close to OC or SD you can buy the paint, prep it, and I'll spray it for... $50. PM me for how to prep it.

Shaolin has a guy that will spray it and do all the prep too I'm pretty sure.
Ya. He quoted me 250. A great deal that I might still go for. My adventurous side has the best of me right now though. We shall see. Never tackled a project involving paint on an exterior body piece before. Thank you very much for the offer though sir.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
Super Moderator

If you really want an adventure spray it yourself. I sprayed my car myself, turned out pretty fucking nice.

You can get a decent gun at harbor freight for about $60, and if you have an air compressor you're all set to go.

Finish wetsanding with 600-800, prime (unless it's plastic) do 3 base coats, and then three clear coats. Wetsand and buff to perfection.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
Super Moderator

PS, automotive quality paint could never and will never come in an aerosol can. Car quality paint is 2K, meaning 2 part, meaning once mixed, itll dry in an hour. Meaning, it won't keep in an aerosol can.

1K aerosol paint, superior quality or not will fade completely in about a year if outside.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #7
pain's fun, hit me again

The cans he is talking about have seperated chambers, you pull a tab at the bottom of the can and it mixes internally, then you have 1 hour to spray. Problem is the pressures are never right so it still turns outs like shit.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 12-03-2011, 10:11 PM   #8
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer89 View Post
Ya. He quoted me 250. A great deal that I might still go for. My adventurous side has the best of me right now though. We shall see. Never tackled a project involving paint on an exterior body piece before. Thank you very much for the offer though sir.
He did a BITCHEN job on your hood IMO

Stopping the world!
Old 12-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
The cans he is talking about have seperated chambers, you pull a tab at the bottom of the can and it mixes internally, then you have 1 hour to spray. Problem is the pressures are never right so it still turns outs like shit.
Wow... that's actually pretty cool. Haha

It's just so easy to spray single panels in a garage. Not like a whole car. Why do it any other way?

Spray painting is just like HVLP painting, if you don't get your technique down it will all look like shit anyways. Buy a gun and practice. I did a surfboard before I even tried primer on my car.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #10
Super Moderator

But if you INSIST on this 2K aerosol, just like real spraying, the key is to do it till the surface is wet, keeping a slow but constant pace, without letting it get so wet that the paint runs. Then circle back, overlapping slightly, same pace, and circle back again.

NEVER wave the can back and forth quickly, trying to mist the surface. Unless you're spraying an 80s Honda.

There's your advice.