Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 09-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #41
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
What do you mean? When the suspension compresses the upper arm should move away from the frame. As the suspension extends it should move closer. If you put a jack under the crossmember and lift the front wheels off the ground does the upper arm and spindle touch the frame?
Meant to say just by pulling on it. Yes, it will hang on the frame, before the tires are even off the ground.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:59 PM   #42
Super Moderator

Default Mig with flux wire speed

Sooo... I redid all of the welds on my trailer. Didn't want any more crossmembers to fall off on the freeway. Haha.

And I figured since it is 3/16 to a 1/4 thick, I should turn the speed down and crank the voltage up.

So, all the way down at one, it feels like I'm getting really good penetration and melting the metal down deep, but, it's impossible to law a nice bead down. It's mainly spatter and melting the parent material.

5 is about as slow as I can go while still getting a nice bead. But still at 5 there is a ton of spatter.

At 7, there is low spatter, a nice bead and I can move at a decent pace. But I'm worried I'm not penetrating deep enough with the molten metal at that speed. Am I?

Am I just moving too fast at the slower speeds? What's up?
Old 09-28-2010, 09:09 PM   #43
Super Moderator

This guy doesn't move back to forth, he makes loops. But it looks pro.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #44
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Sooo... I redid all of the welds on my trailer. Didn't want any more crossmembers to fall off on the freeway. Haha.

And I figured since it is 3/16 to a 1/4 thick, I should turn the speed down and crank the voltage up.

So, all the way down at one, it feels like I'm getting really good penetration and melting the metal down deep, but, it's impossible to law a nice bead down. It's mainly spatter and melting the parent material.

5 is about as slow as I can go while still getting a nice bead. But still at 5 there is a ton of spatter.

At 7, there is low spatter, a nice bead and I can move at a decent pace. But I'm worried I'm not penetrating deep enough with the molten metal at that speed. Am I?

Am I just moving too fast at the slower speeds? What's up?
Get some scrap metal that is the thickness that you want to weld. Then turn the heat up and wire speed up to the recommended for your machine. Then start running weld on the metal while adjusting the wire speed until it sounds like sizzling bacon. That's what I did on mine and it turned out that I had to drop the wire speed a little from what the recommended speed was.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #45
Super Moderator

Did you see how pissed off people got when I asked to weed out the non-welders? That place is becoming like CF, full of people ready to talk smack that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

I think other than you, one guy in there replied that he knew how to weld and gave a decent explanation. People got pissed! Hit em where it hurts I guess.

Next time I'm going to post in the fabrication section. I thought that there would at least be a few other guys like you with some skill in there, guess not.

That place is home to those who pay fab shops to install their shit. Useless forum for suspension advice. I mean, if my suggestion was really that bad, why didn't people jump in a describe how to build/ modify arms to use the stock spring pocket? Because no one in there knows! I know people have done it.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #46
Super Moderator

Also I've been watching more welding videos, saw a usefull technique for uphill welding. Make an upside down V as you work your way up, pausing on the outsides, but not in the center. Doing this prevents the metal from pooling up from gravity.

I want to try it out. Think I'll do some vertical plate braces on my trailer. That thing is going to be bullet proof.

Also, found some Fagtech arms, trying to buy them. I know it won't prevent the spindle from hitting the frame at droop, but by lowering the BJ it has got to make the arm more perpendicular to the ground and with the added camber, give better clearance than what he has now.