Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 05-21-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
Internet Tough Guy

Default Maggie or no Maggie???

one of my long term college friends bought a 2003 911 turbo. It's slower than the vette, but he is dropping some serious coin with TITAN motorsports to upgrade the turbo's.

So I'm debating getting a 122cu magnacharger or the new TVS magnacharger. The question is with ~460rwhp and stock compression, how much more power can a stock LS2 bottom end handle. I think they are good for 550-600 rwhp?

Please chime in with comments or expierence.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

To my knowledge when I was looking into this for my LS1, the stock bottom end (with just a change of rod bolts) is good for 550WHP safely, 600WHP (kinda max, pressing your luck), over 600WHP really asking for it/just a matter of time. It was a common combo to put the maggie with moderate H/C and get a relatively safe and *easy* 550WHP. Again on the lower displacement LS1. I don't know if there's any meaningful strength difference in the bottom end between the LS1 vs. LS2.

Are in you love with the torque curve of a roots/twin screw blower vs. a centrifugal setup?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-21-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
Fast & Filthy

My buddy had a maggie on his 04 GTO and he made 515rwhp with (I think) only 8psi of boost. I'm not sure what all he did but I think he had different heads and cam. He has since installed twin turbos and put down a little over 550rwhp. The guy he bought the twins off of had an 05 GTO with the 6.0 and he made 620rwhp. He wishes he had kept the maggie.

I can call him if you want and get him to throw in his two cents. He knows a lot about this not only from building his own car but he is also an ASE certified Master Tech and worked at a Chevrolet dealer with my brother.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

As I recall you can run 500-550rwhp with a conservative tune and probably be okay. I think anything over that and you're pushing it...
Old 05-22-2009, 12:22 AM   #5
Internet Tough Guy

550rwhp would be awesome! much more than that would cause a step increase in price for the driveline components.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:36 AM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
550rwhp would be awesome! much more than that would cause a step increase in price for the driveline components.
I know this is wild guess territory, but how much power do you think your current chassis setup could handle? That is there comes a point when a car becomes so squirly with power it becomes slower from a handling point of view because the driver is crapping their pants about things going terribly wrong. Hope my question makes sense.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-22-2009, 12:47 AM   #7
Internet Tough Guy

makes complete sense. I've heard a lot of hte 402 guys say that they are faster than the SC cars on hte track because the torque doesn't come on as hard and the throttle is easier to modulate.

I would b totally guessing though. Plus I would just change mu setup to adjust for it anyways. If all else fails I could ditch the toyo's and run hoosiers.

I've been trolling about different vette forums and it seems mid 500's at the wheels is common.. I want a 122 And I think I can pull mid 500's with very little boost. Maybe <5 psig.

To answer your previous question vettezuki, I ran centrifugal SCs on my mustang gt for a lon time and will not go back. To much pressurized piping. Intercooler hoeses comming loose clamps wearing out.. I ran procharger's P-1R and then P-1sc. IMO procharger made the best headunits and intercoolers, but the rest of the kits was very low dollar.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:28 AM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
. . .

To answer your previous question vettezuki, I ran centrifugal SCs on my mustang gt for a lon time and will not go back. To much pressurized piping. Intercooler hoeses comming loose clamps wearing out.. I ran procharger's P-1R and then P-1sc. IMO procharger made the best headunits and intercoolers, but the rest of the kits was very low dollar.
This is off your Radar, but I'm curious about Rotrex superchargers. They're OEM on some super exotics (e.g., Koenniggsegg). They are centrifugal, but internally they are completely different using some sort of viscous clutch setup. Apparently they are extremely efficient and spool much faster than equivalent volume gear drive units. There are no kits though.

Have you considered a Whipple or Kenne Bell (twin screw)? Probably not a big deal because you aren't trying to make absolutely maxium peak HP.

Your Vette isn't really a DD is it? Have you considered just making it a vicious 383 or 402, full solid roller and spin it hard? There's something special about a large displacement V8 up around 7k that just makes me smile inside.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-22-2009, 01:28 AM   #9
Fast & Filthy

I have around 70,000 miles (well I did before the rebuild) and haven't had any of those issues with my Vortech. Although it doesn't have an intercooler or aftercooler. All of the intake tubing is still the original that came with the kit and I haven't had anything come loose.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:17 AM   #10
Graphics B*tch

Quote:
I ran procharger's P-1R and then P-1sc. IMO procharger made the best headunits and intercoolers, but the rest of the kits was very low dollar.
Good to know considering in my future there will be a D-1SC under my hood!

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten