Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Pros and Cons of a Used Turbo Porsche

So I continually go to and fro on whether to continue building out my Vette or move on to something else. I truly love my Vette, but it's still GM and most of you have heard enough of my rants on that subject.

I'm *slightly* considering getting it into working order and selling it if the market were to pick up a little. Use the money for business in the short (could use a little more working capital) and down the road in a year or two, go a different direction. Something that would be a trully awesome all arounder, rain or shine, great acceleration but even better handling, yet comfortable and with tame manners when just getting around. Then I thought, mmm, what about used 997. Some pretty good examples seem available in the 40-50k range.

What are the pros and cons of this platform? Are they reliable if well maintained? Do they eat tires or have other annoying habits?

I might just end up keeping the Vette and making it more and more my own, but I am certainly curious about the Turbo Porsche.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-20-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
So I continually go to and fro on whether to continue building out my Vette or move on to something else. I truly love my Vette, but it's still GM and most of you have heard enough of my rants on that subject.

I'm *slightly* considering getting it into working order and selling it if the market were to pick up a little. Use the money for business in the short (could use a little more working capital) and down the road in a year or two, go a different direction. Something that would be a trully awesome all arounder, rain or shine, great acceleration but even better handling, yet comfortable and with tame manners when just getting around. Then I thought, mmm, what about used 997. Some pretty good examples seem available in the 40-50k range.

What are the pros and cons of this platform? Are they reliable if well maintained? Do they eat tires or have other annoying habits?

I might just end up keeping the Vette and making it more and more my own, but I am certainly curious about the Turbo Porsche.
I have heard only good things. I know you can pick up used 996 turbos for very reasonable prices. I would definitely opt for the X50 package if you go that direction.

The only downside I can think of is that if something does go wrong, I think it will be very expensive to fix relative to the Vette. Also, if you wanted to do any modding I think that would be quite expensive as well.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #3

Great power and performance, horrible looks(personally)

The cost of modding, fixing problems, and normal maintenance(oil, etc) will be what kills you. Hence why my car is 99.9% stock

My vote stays with a C6
Old 10-20-2009, 08:26 PM   #4
Internet Tough Guy

They run an honest 12.7 @109. Titan Motorsports advertises that they can put one in the tens for $6k. Go to sixspeedonline.com. It's a big Porsche site they have a lot of input. I would love one with a 150 shot.

On a road course they are ok. If you get serious, you will need coil overs and sway bars. Then they wake up. The realy serious guys ditch the AWD system.

I would love a 993 Turbo.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
They run an honest 12.7 @109. Titan Motorsports advertises that they can put one in the tens for $6k. Go to sixspeedonline.com. It's a big Porsche site they have a lot of input. I would love one with a 150 shot.

On a road course they are ok. If you get serious, you will need coil overs and sway bars. Then they wake up. The realy serious guys ditch the AWD system.

I would love a 993 Turbo.
Why a 993?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-20-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Why a 993?
Last of the air cooled I believe.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:40 PM   #7
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Last of the air cooled I believe.
I think so. But what's technically good about it? I see the prices are higher on average (and astronomical of the "S" trim). Does this just reflect a collector's preference?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #8
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
I think so. But what's technically good about it? I see the prices are higher on average (and astronomical of the "S" trim). Does this just reflect a collector's preference?
I believe the answer is yes, but I honestly don't know. I think technically the 996 turbo is fairly far ahead of the 993, but I could easily be wrong
Old 10-21-2009, 06:46 AM   #9
Internet Tough Guy

993 is the last of hte air cooled and is covetted by porsche fans everywhere. You can lightly mod this and enjoy it and get at least what you paid for it back.

996 are good, but they are soft. Honestly this would get my vote for the ultimate daily driver. I would go elsewhere for a track terror car (regardless of the type of racing), but 996 turbo is classy and quick.

When I bought my vette the other two options that I was considering were the Viper 2003-2005 or a similar year 996 turbo. I went with the vette because the operating cost are MUCH lower. I was going to race the shit out of whatever I bought so any wear surfaces would be replaced regularly. I would have gone with one of the other cars if I was looking for a street car that was only going to see drag racing. Vipers and Porsches get more attention and respect than vettes.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #10

Did you fix the miss???