Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-08-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
Graphics B*tch

Default New gears!

So the birthday has come and gone and the fruits of my birthday (Summit gift cards) are allowing me to get my gears. 4.10 (thought a lot about this and 4.30 are higher than I want to go) and a programmer. I need advice, or should I say confirmation on choice. Let me know if you see an issue or think I would be better served with another option.

Gears
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-4209-G410A/

Installation Kit (not sure on which one I would need here)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-4210-A/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-4210-B/

Programmer
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SD...T/?image=large

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 11-08-2009, 12:29 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I think programmers are kind of dumb unless you have a boosted motor. What can it really do for you? Advance your timing 4 degrees and bring the AFR down to 12.5:1 WOT? There's maybe 20hp unless something was wrong before.

If you're willing to spend $550 total I'd get some long tubes and have a muffler shop fab up some dual 3" mandrel bent pipes... that or some NOS sucka!
Old 11-08-2009, 01:07 AM   #3
Graphics B*tch

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I think programmers are kind of dumb unless you have a boosted motor. What can it really do for you? Advance your timing 4 degrees and bring the AFR down to 12.5:1 WOT? There's maybe 20hp unless something was wrong before.

If you're willing to spend $550 total I'd get some long tubes and have a muffler shop fab up some dual 3" mandrel bent pipes... that or some NOS sucka!
The tuner is more for the code reading and gear correction, not that a little exrta power hurts.. I can get another unit that just does the gear correction but that is it for $100 or so. I would rather spend a little more $ and get the programmer so when I do get my blower I have one already.

290HP / 305TQ

Old 11-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

I think the car should be pretty awesome - I'm excited to see the difference. I always thought the low end of the N/A DOHC modular engines was lacking but this should wake it up nicely.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:50 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedom View Post
The tuner is more for the code reading and gear correction, not that a little exrta power hurts.. I can get another unit that just does the gear correction but that is it for $100 or so. I would rather spend a little more $ and get the programmer so when I do get my blower I have one already.
Then why not continue to save for the blower. Half the time I will lose the rear end in 2nd gear from a roll with a 3.55, and I believe I have more tire than you. You're going to hate those 4.10 with the blower.

I tried launching last week. Ha! Bounced off the rev limiter all the way till I hooked and bogged in 3rd, and that was with feathering the pedal.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
Graphics B*tch

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Then why not continue to save for the blower. Half the time I will lose the rear end in 2nd gear from a roll with a 3.55, and I believe I have more tire than you. You're going to hate those 4.10 with the blower.

I tried launching last week. Ha! Bounced off the rev limiter all the way till I hooked and bogged in 3rd, and that was with feathering the pedal.
I could do that but the blower is about 3 to 4 years away unless a financial windfall comes my way. I have talked with a number of people who say 4.10s with a blower is a pretty impressive combo. The blower I plan on running is a Procharger so it will not have as much low end torque as a roots style blower and the gears should help get me up in the rev a little quicker and thus in the powerband quicker.

290HP / 305TQ

Old 11-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedom View Post
The blower I plan on running is a Procharger so it will not have as much low end torque...
Somehow I don't believe a lack of power will be a problem.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Looking at the thread, it looks like Adam should expect anywhere from 430-470rwhp and 400-430rwtq on the stock pulley. I think the 4:10's will be okay.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
Fast & Filthy

A 4.10 will be a great gear for Leedom's car. Remember enkeivette, he only has 281 cubes not 383. He doesn't have the same low end torque that Cambria has so he needs more gear to get his car moving.

Adam, you only need installation kit FMS-M-4210-A but you will need to pick up new pinion bearing if you go with it. FMS-M-4210-B comes with everything you need as well as some things we don't such as the carrier bearings. If you have the extra $40 I would just get kit B.

Let me know when you have everything in and we can set up a day to install them.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:52 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Point taken.