Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-22-2009, 04:50 PM   #11
Internet Tough Guy

I would disconnect the entire exhaust and make sure that the previous owner didn't do any DIY mods. Like knock out the element of the converter. As far as the previous couple of responses, I wouldn't be such a smart ass considering you're asking for help and you can't figure out a simple problem on your own.

Think about it, you are going to add a second muffler to a completely stock car because a test administered by a high school graduate states that your car at ~4000 rpms is louder than a Winston Cup car?????

Since you are not a capable thinker let me give you some options:

A) Retest the car somewhere else and see if the test results are the same. Most likely they won't be.

B) Get a lawyer to make it disappear (~$600 I do this with my speeding tickets).

C) Pay the fine and don't change the car.

D) Add a extra muffler to your car to fix a problem that probably doesn't exist.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:14 PM   #12
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
I would disconnect the entire exhaust and make sure that the previous owner didn't do any DIY mods. Like knock out the element of the converter. As far as the previous couple of responses, I wouldn't be such a smart ass considering you're asking for help and you can't figure out a simple problem on your own.

Think about it, you are going to add a second muffler to a completely stock car because a test administered by a high school graduate states that your car at ~4000 rpms is louder than a Winston Cup car?????

Since you are not a capable thinker let me give you some options:

A) Retest the car somewhere else and see if the test results are the same. Most likely they won't be.

B) Get a lawyer to make it disappear (~$600 I do this with my speeding tickets).

C) Pay the fine and don't change the car.

D) Add a extra muffler to your car to fix a problem that probably doesn't exist.
Yikes I didn't think you'd take it all so personally... Every question that you've asked me had already been answered before. I'm not meaning to start a pissing contest. It's all in good fun.

The problem is not that it's not a simple problem, it's that it shouldn't be a problem. So, thank you sir for your input.

To be honest with you, having never met you, I've read your posts and had a certain level of respect for you. HOWEVER. If you had simply read my previous posts, and the OP, you would know that the car is stocker than stock. I have the stock DP WITH (with with with) cat, it's the STOCK exhaust. No need to ask questions such as "do you have a cat (I passed emissions), do you have a boost controller (don't know any stock cars that do), is it the stock exhaust, blah blah blah.

Nothing is adding up, that is why I'm reaching out the the community has a whole in order to maybe find out if I've missed something or if possibly someone has a connection at a muffler shop (that I probably wouldn't need at this point anyway thanks to Enkei).

So to finish this statement, I IN NO WAY INTEND TO BE A SMARTASS. I'm going to leave it at that. I just thought it was a little funny that you missed a comment that was a few posts above and that someone quoted that.

I will take your (A) suggestion and retest it elsewhere.

believe me, if i wanted to just pay the fine i'd have done that while i was modified more.

Best ET 14.668 see timeslip
Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
I'd race ya, but you'd eat me up dawg!!!
Old 12-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #13
Super Moderator

I'm with C6 on this one. SRT4s are not that loud, and I doubt the test requires a decibel rating on decel (which is when it would pop).

Take it to another tester, be cool and personable with him or her, and state your position that the car is stock. Hopefully this person won't be a dick and won't include the pops in the report to the judge. If they do again, fix it with the cheapo muffler rather than going to a judge. A judge will not be willing to listen to your automotive theories if he doesn't already understand. And it's not me up there, yet.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:48 PM   #14
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

This topic ended poorly (I think Carlos was in a bad mood that day, lol). Boostn, did you ever have any luck getting this taken care of?

Everyone be nice this time - don't make me give any of you Leedom's "I party with Richard Simmons" avatar...
Old 01-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #15
Internet Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn View Post
Yikes I didn't think you'd take it all so personally... Every question that you've asked me had already been answered before. I'm not meaning to start a pissing contest. It's all in good fun.

The problem is not that it's not a simple problem, it's that it shouldn't be a problem. So, thank you sir for your input.

To be honest with you, having never met you, I've read your posts and had a certain level of respect for you. HOWEVER. If you had simply read my previous posts, and the OP, you would know that the car is stocker than stock. I have the stock DP WITH (with with with) cat, it's the STOCK exhaust. No need to ask questions such as "do you have a cat (I passed emissions), do you have a boost controller (don't know any stock cars that do), is it the stock exhaust, blah blah blah.

Nothing is adding up, that is why I'm reaching out the the community has a whole in order to maybe find out if I've missed something or if possibly someone has a connection at a muffler shop (that I probably wouldn't need at this point anyway thanks to Enkei).

So to finish this statement, I IN NO WAY INTEND TO BE A SMARTASS. I'm going to leave it at that. I just thought it was a little funny that you missed a comment that was a few posts above and that someone quoted that.

I will take your (A) suggestion and retest it elsewhere.

believe me, if i wanted to just pay the fine i'd have done that while i was modified more.

I didn't read the post fully because the whole situation doesn't make sense. Just so you understand passing emissions doesn't mean anything. I have passed cars that "have" catalyc converters before.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:31 PM   #16

Not sure if this would help or not, just saw it in yht Jegs book.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynatech/329/M80-00100/10002/-1
Old 01-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdracer73 View Post
Not sure if this would help or not, just saw it in yht Jegs book.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynatech/329/M80-00100/10002/-1
That's actually a really good idea. I had something like that on my dirtbike, it made a differece.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:24 AM   #18
Boost Junkie

This currently has ended poorly. Enkei, I'd like to seek some advice from u if possible.. Or find someone who can make this go away, as in an attorney. Everything finally passed etc, went before a "stand in" commissioner. He knocked down the exhaust ticket to the 25 for passing the noise test (bought a 2nd gen neon muffler, brought it down to 83 decibels), but the emissions test for the violation code "pollution device" or whatever, don't have the ticket ob me right now, its costing me $100 mandatory fine, plus civil assesments (which I don't understand really) and is total, gonna cost me about $450. Bullshit. I was under the impression that the ticket was simply a "correctable" violation, I would just have to show that I passed and then pay 25. Enkei, can u shed some light on this for me? My head is spinning from this...

Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 01-16-2010, 09:13 AM   #19
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn View Post
This currently has ended poorly. Enkei, I'd like to seek some advice from u if possible.. Or find someone who can make this go away, as in an attorney. Everything finally passed etc, went before a "stand in" commissioner. He knocked down the exhaust ticket to the 25 for passing the noise test (bought a 2nd gen neon muffler, brought it down to 83 decibels), but the emissions test for the violation code "pollution device" or whatever, don't have the ticket ob me right now, its costing me $100 mandatory fine, plus civil assesments (which I don't understand really) and is total, gonna cost me about $450. Bullshit. I was under the impression that the ticket was simply a "correctable" violation, I would just have to show that I passed and then pay 25. Enkei, can u shed some light on this for me? My head is spinning from this...
So after everything it passed and then they fined you anyway

That is bullshit. How did you get it to pass finally?
Old 01-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #20
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
So after everything it passed and then they fined you anyway

That is bullshit. How did you get it to pass finally?
That is correct sir. F*ck CA. I threw on a reg neon muffler for the test... pulling it off again today or tomorrow.

<guy in turbo eclipse>