Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 04-25-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default SOLD: 1980 Kawasaki KDX KD 420 Dirt Bike New Engine/ Trans!

This is a 1980 KD 420 motocross style 2 stroke dirt bike. I have the title although I do not have the bike registered, there is a 2006 sticker on the bike currently. The engine/ trans are new and have less than a mile on them since install. The engine/ trans is from a 1981 KDX 420, so it has the longer gear ratios, and the stator/ wiring for a light. I bought the engine from a race shop here in Placentia, it hadn't been run since the 80s and consequently has very little run time. It was a spare motor for racing. I can provide the shops contact info. The engine works great and the trans shifts nicely through all 5 gears. The Mikuni carburetor has been rebuilt and works good, the carb is from the original KD 420 engine. The jet in the carb right now is a 150, it is on the rich side but works good at sea level. New iridium spark plug. Various jet sizes included for tuning. I can show you how to change the carb jet in 5 mins. The bike is fast already but I suspect you will pick up quite a bit of power with some time spent tuning the carb and upgrading the pipe. The kickstart is like new and functions perfectly (this is a problem with these bikes). The chamber on the exhaust pipe has been wrapped with thermal tape, I would recommend doing the entire exhaust with thermal tape. The bike is missing the plastic shield on the right side that covers the pipe, any after-market shield would work, or you can leave it as is. I have a shield for it, but it is in poor shape, I would recommend replacing it, but it will also go with the bike. The seat vinyl is in good condition considering the age, there was a small tear in the seat but this has been filled in. The bike has a new twist throttle and Oury grips. The bike comes with an old but matching green and white helmet, also a second red and white helmet for a passenger. A paddle tire is mounted to the rear rim, but I am also including a knobby tire for the rear. The front tire is a knobby tire. I am also including the user manual, a whip, and a 5 gallon quick fill gas container. Basically, everything that you need to hit the desert. I will also throw in the original motor as a parts motor. All of the trans and clutch parts are still good in the extra motor. The bike is not in very good aesthetic condition, but considering that it's an old dirt bike it looks pretty good. No rust, no damage. With the carburetor jetted correctly this bike will wheelie uncontrollably from a launch, even in the sand. I would always short shift into second to be safe. This bike can do 70mph easily on a dirt road, I haven't had the courage to push it faster, but I'm sure it will go even faster.

I do not want to get sued if someone crashes so I will not allow test drives, however if you would like to see the bike run. I will fire it up and I will drive it around the block in front of you. Feel free to contact me with offers/ trades/ partial trades and/ or for my phone number.

$450 O.B.O. For everything. Located in OC, CA.

Last edited by Vettezuki : 02-12-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
Super Moderator

SOLD!