Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-26-2009, 08:35 PM   #21
Super Moderator

I'm with C55, I've driven stick trucks and autos in the sand. Def go auto if you plan to offroad. And BFGs are good offroad tires, you can prob score a set with wheels on craigslist very cheap. You can prob score some Maxxis tires real cheap, and they'll last a long time, but they don't grab worth a crap.

I'm driving around the 4L I6 this week, very good motor. The one I'm driving has 144K miles on it, no issues so far. Very good torque for a 6 cyl.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:38 PM   #22
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I'm with C55, I've driven stick trucks and autos in the sand. Def go auto if you plan to offroad. And BFGs are good offroad tires, you can prob score a set with wheels on craigslist very cheap. You can prob score some Maxxis tires real cheap, and they'll last a long time, but they don't grab worth a crap.

I'm driving around the 4L I6 this week, very good motor. The one I'm driving has 144K miles on it, no issues so far. Very good torque for a 6 cyl.
Are you driving a Jeep?
Old 10-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #23
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Are you driving a Jeep?
Yes, but not what you're thinking. Driving my friend's Cherokee this week, it has the same motor. Awful gas mileage though, burned through about $20 in 2 1/2 days just around town. Reminds me of daily driving the Vette.

Did you check on that Jeep parked on YL?
Old 10-26-2009, 08:46 PM   #24
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Yes, but not what you're thinking. Driving my friend's Cherokee this week, it has the same motor. Awful gas mileage though, burned through about $20 in 2 1/2 days just around town. Reminds me of daily driving the Vette.

Did you check on that Jeep parked on YL?
Nah, I don't live over there anymore and I haven't been that direction lately.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:51 PM   #25
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
I'm with C55, I've driven stick trucks and autos in the sand. Def go auto if you plan to offroad.
Stick vs auto is all about preference. I've driven both on various terrains and can say I like a stick for some and an auto for others. An auto is easier to drive in sand, mud, and on loose dirt hill climbs but a stick is better on rocks (because of the lower first gear) and when decending hills. If you ask Throttle Crazy he would probably say he prefers to drive stick (he also has an auto in his Jimmy) but overall I prefer an auto as well.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #26
Super Moderator

I hate burning clutches, makes me cringe. Even launching my Vette, as much as I love sticks in sports cars, with enough hp I'd want an auto.

Never been rock crawling... seriously. Just for a bit in a Toyota 4x4. It was fun. Kind of scary when one tire is 3 or 4 feet off the ground. I'd want a serious cage and maybe some arm straps even.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:20 PM   #27
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
I hate burning clutches, makes me cringe. Even launching my Vette, as much as I love sticks in sports cars, with enough hp I'd want an auto.

Never been rock crawling... seriously. Just for a bit in a Toyota 4x4. It was fun. Kind of scary when one tire is 3 or 4 feet off the ground. I'd want a serious cage and maybe some arm straps even.
Most people who drive a stick with stock gearing ride the clutch when rock crawling. I don't happen to be one of those people. I just let the truck stall and then start it back up again. I put about 50,000 miles on my Toyota driving in traffic, four wheelin and prerunning and when I pulled the trans out the clutch still had about 70% left.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:31 PM   #28
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Most people who drive a stick with stock gearing ride the clutch when rock crawling. I don't happen to be one of those people. I just let the truck stall and then start it back up again. I put about 50,000 miles on my Toyota driving in traffic, four wheelin and prerunning and when I pulled the trans out the clutch still had about 70% left.
Nice, I'm one of those people who would rather sacrifice a motor mounts longevity and pop the clutch a little early too.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:33 AM   #29
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
I have heard the same. I would definitely go with the I6. As for the beater, if it lasts another year I'll definitely have problems come smog time. I can't imagine it would pass, it's definitely less emissions friendly than the Cobra
When do you smog---I may have an out for you if your can't pass.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 10-27-2009, 09:08 PM   #30
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
When do you smog---I may have an out for you if your can't pass.
I know a guy too actually, I just don't want to spend $150 to smog a car that I bought for $500 originally