Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 02-06-2015, 12:01 AM   #1

Default Stroker for the V

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Its been a while since I've been on here. Busy with work, a toddler, and a move.

Anyways, just thought I'd share some progress with my car, a 2004 CTS-V. I found a L76 at a junkyard and was able to procure said motor for an umbelieveablely low price. The donor car was badly burned, but the motor seemed intact, mostly. For those that aren't well versed in LS block gm stuff, an L76 is a 6.0L with the new rectangular port LS3 heads. Only difference is that real LS3 heads use a hollow stemmed intake valve. So these heads are desirable. And I got the whole setup for less than the heads are worth.

I got the motor torn down, and cleaned up.doesn't seem to have any structural damage at all. The rotating assembly is in excellent shape, journals and bearings are clear. As of right now, I'm getting ready to send it to my local machine shop here in Lake Elsinore. Its going to get bored out a smidge, about .005 and its getting a 4 inch stroker crank. I'm going to have the heads machined(probably by West Coast Cylinder Heads), and lastly I'll get a 102mm intake and throttle body from F.A.S.T.

The rotating assembly is going to be a forged K1/wiseco setup, I'm debating on compression right now, probably go with 10.5:1 or 11:1. I don't want to get too aggressive on our horrible fuel here in California.

Going to be shooting for a max effort all motor stroker. So the can is going to be spec'd by either PatG or Brian Tooley Racing toatch the heads and bottom end.

Apart from that, here are some pics of the new block...

Also if anyone needs or wants a Gen iv rotating assembly for a 6.0 liter let me know.

The Race Car lol: 2004 Cadillac CTS-V... With things.

Better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:14 AM   #2
I, Vettezuki

What's displacement after the 4" stroker? What vendor for the rotating assembly are you using?

While there are always a ton of parameters that affect pinging, I can say my H&C LSx is "supposedly" around 11.1:1 and it pings on the summer blend under load. I have to use a little Torco to bring it up to around 93 (estimated). That may go away with less restrictive exhaust because of back pressure issues, but in CA, 11:1 on older style setups (e.g., not DI) is sort of on the margin maybe..

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-06-2015, 12:27 AM   #3

6.6 liters (403CI) or thereabouts with a 4 inch throw crank. Depends on how much the machinist has to take out to round out the cylinders a d clean up the walls. There was some deterioration on the sleeves but it isn't bad at all.

Who did your tuning? And what are you running?

That is the most important part of the whole thing really. The LS is pretty finicky when it comes to the tune and such. 11:1 shouldn't be too bad. But I may go down a half point. Haven't decided yet.

Herr is the vendor I am thinking about using... Best price I could find so far but I'm going to check with my machinist first, see if he can beat the pricing... http://www.flatlanderracing.com/k1-wiseco-02.html
Old 02-06-2015, 11:28 AM   #4

Sounds like it will be a monster of a first gen ctsv. If you are going with a huge cam, 11:1 should be ok with the right quench and a good tune. Do you have any drive train mods? I was thinking the diff was weak in those cars.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:33 AM   #5

The diff is weak. But as long as you don't wheel hop, generally, your alright. I should upgrade my signature...

Mods:
95a urethane motor mounts
95a rear subfrmae mounts helps with the wheel hop
95a differential bushing (also helps with differential durability)
New trans mount
LS9 clutch
Katech LS9 flywheel
New slave
Upgraded to a tilton master cylinder.

The Race Car lol: 2004 Cadillac CTS-V... With things.

Better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.