Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 08-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #1

Default a while ago

Ok so from a few years ago now:

I was doing some tuning trying to figure out a few fueling issues on the cobalt. I was doing a log on the way home one night, doing a log, and was totally stoked that it wasn't having any fuel issues this night. I ran up on a line of like 6+ mustangs headed south on the 15 toward Escondido from Temecula. I was listening to a bunch of V8s rumbling with nice sounding exhausts as I was passing them and all of a sudden at the front I see a Roush stage 3. At the time I didn't know it was a stage 3 or I probably wouldn't have raced him but alas, it was night time. So as I go to pass he blips the throttle and downshifts. I do the same. I'm in second at about 40mph, he honks it off, I spin like a MOFO and when I get traction I am still at his door with my front bumper dead even from there til like 130ish maybe. Second race, again 40mph, I was a little more careful with the throttle, cleared a MAF code I threw after the BOV vented the turbo form the last race, and he honked again. Seeing as I was more careful with the throttle, I didn't spin as bad, got a nose on him and grabbed 3rd. Had him at my back bumper. At that point I rolled down the window, gave a wave and took off cuz I saw a cop going North turn on his lights after he no doubt saw us doing like mach 5 from the other side of the road. As soon as he hammered it next to me I could hear the supercharger whined up and I thougth for sure that I was a gonner but I was surprised the little ol cobalt SS could hang. He must have been bone stock (other than the stage 3 roush stuff) cuz come on, I thought he would have easily walked me for sure.

At the time I was fully bolted and tuned on 91 octane running 22-23psi, short throw shifter, exedy hypersingle, and 245/45r18 Hankook RS3 tires. I dynoed at 350whp/370wtrq on a mustang dyno about 2 weeks later with basically the same tune.

The Race Car lol: 2004 Cadillac CTS-V... With things.

Better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:07 AM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Probably should just google this, but what's a Cobalt weigh and what about torque steer? I've always been leery of high powered FWD.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-28-2012, 03:39 AM   #3

A little over 3000 lbs with me in it. And torque steer does suck but I was spinning til I shifted to 3rd so it wasn't too bad. Then after the shift the limited slip differential helps a little bit. Plus I have solid engine and transmission mounts that rotate everything a few degrees to help.with torque steer and wheel hop. Honestly the worst part was that I got no traction below 60mph, on my e85 tune it was worse... I could do a burnout at like 60 all the way to 80mph. That torque steer was catastrophic though. 420lbs/trq to the wheels. I wasn't running that while going against this mustang though.

The Race Car lol: 2004 Cadillac CTS-V... With things.

Better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:10 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Damn
Old 06-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
Graphics B*tch

Weight plays a pretty good roll in this as well. If the Stage 3 had nothing else done to it is around 430hp/400ft-lbs ('09 and older) and weighs in at over 3,500lbs without driver so my guess would be you had around 700 lbs on him. Still pretty impressive for your Cobalt.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten