Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #1

Default CARB vehicle pass numbers

I don't know how many on here have noticed that CARB keeps lowering the pass numbers making it harder for older vehicles to pass their smog test. Just last year 5.7 TPI GMs were lowered 30%. It is my opinion that once emission levels are set for a vehicle they should not be lowered. I realize that CA wants our old cars off the road so they can steal more money from us thru vehicle sales tax and higher license fees, but, and I have told them this, my next vehicle will be a restored pre 1976.
I have sent a email to SAN (SEMA) discussing the above and the need for legislation to keep CARB from lowering the pass numbers, and preferably returning those lowered to their original numbers and remove NOX testing from cars like the mid 80's LG4s, which when built, were not subject to NOX emissions testing.
What I would like to do is get ALL the car clubs in CA behind this by contacting SAN. So anyone who wants to copy this or write their own and/or post this on other boards is welcome to do so.

This is the new director of SAN
Mike Dingell, Director, SEMA Action Network (SAN) at 202/783-6007, ext. 38 or miked@sema.org.

I posted this on about 5 boards, if SAN gets enough emails maybe they will get behind this. Then we can bombard our State legislators.

Thanks

Last edited by injdinjn : 01-25-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Do you have evidence in public record of the thresholds being reduced? It wouldn't surprise me one bit, but you need something concrete and unassailable to point to. As for CARB, they can go die in a fire.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #3

We have 3 or 4 3rd gen people that have test sheets from past tests showing that the pass/fail had been lowered just last year, and my LG4 was lowered about 3 years ago.
So yes, we have data.
Everyone should keep their smog test results.
My guess is they are lowering the mid 90s and older. Turbo Lou has customers with the same problem now so I would guess they hit the turbo buicks last year too.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by injdinjn View Post
We have 3 or 4 3rd gen people that have test sheets from past tests showing that the pass/fail had been lowered just last year, and my LG4 was lowered about 3 years ago.
So yes, we have data.
Everyone should keep their smog test results.
My guess is they are lowering the mid 90s and older. Turbo Lou has customers with the same problem now so I would guess they hit the turbo buicks last year too.
Somewhere the test protocols should be publicly listed (with history). If not, file a request under Freedom of Information. Here's the deal. Because we live in a particularly fascist state, it probably won't go far. CARB is populated by unelected bureaucrats who don't have to answer to the public. They have the power to create and enforce regulations (laws). They're basically out of reach. Even confronting policies based on obvious egregious stupidity (like the cited studies for effects of diesel on health that were COMPLETELY bogus) proves borderline impossible. Yeah government saving us from ourselves again.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #5

That info would be useful for a court case, but not at this time. If the owners of cars 1976 and newer can't get SAN/SEMA to get involved then this will go nowhere as private citizens have zero power against CARB, Where SEMA carries a lot of political clout.
I just saw were Gingrich is calling for replacing the EPA with a agency that will consider economic issues also - If you believe that can be done call me, I'll sell you a bridge
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110125/..._gingrich_iowa
Old 01-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #6

They have been doing this for years. They want all cars to perform "as new".
Specs from 2003 standards
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...M_Ave_Ph43.pdf

2000 Newsletter with pass fail numbers
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...s/SCA_Nov_00.p
Old 01-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #7
Super Moderator

I'm plan to sue CARB for injunctive relief as soon as I get on my feet. They are not allowed to discriminate against CA residents without a compelling state interest. Smog, might be one, but either way there is not enough of a proven connection between visual inspection and tailpipe emissions.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
Super Moderator

And really... smog isn't a compelling state interest. That hasn't been proven, and I don't see the courts adding it as one, they don't like to do that.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I'm plan to sue CARB for injunctive relief as soon as I get on my feet. They are not allowed to discriminate against CA residents without a compelling state interest. Smog, might be one, but either way there is not enough of a proven connection between visual inspection and tailpipe emissions.

And really... smog isn't a compelling state interest. That hasn't been proven, and I don't see the courts adding it as one, they don't like to do that.
Getting closer to my kind of prick.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #10

I admire attorneys who have guts. Most of the ones I’ve worked with have been burned-out weenies. Give ‘em hell enkeivette.