Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 03-29-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Data Log Analysis

So I got my cheapy ELM327 BlueTooth ODBII connector and (free) Android Torque app. Logged my trip to the gym tonight and it seemed to work out fine. See attached. Two things strike me, one of them makes sense.

One, holy shit coolant temp spikes like a mofo when you shutoff. A nearly instant 10 degree carry over is pretty intense.

Secondly, the MAF seems to be reading some odd seuqences, but I suppose it could be related to throttle position, which I didn't log. Check it out let me know what you think.
Attached Files
File Type: xls DataLog.xls (220.5 KB, 20 views)

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-30-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
pain's fun, hit me again

How confident are you in the accuracy of a free app?
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #3

I didn't see a time scale or a sample rate so it's hard to tell what kind of time frame we are dealing with. I'm guessing the temperture spike is from heat soak after the water stops circulating the coolant but I can't tell how fast it is spiking. The MAF readings seemed to have a fairly linear relationship with engine load. At the couple of points I looked at it looked like every ~10% of engine load correlated to about ~30g/sec more maf reading.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #4

I just did the math in Excel and it works out to 3.00g/s for every 1% of engine load over the 807 datapoints where the car is running.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
How confident are you in the accuracy of a free app?
Now days, quite. Plus, this is just reading data from the ECU and logging it.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-30-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkLookingCar View Post
I didn't see a time scale or a sample rate so it's hard to tell what kind of time frame we are dealing with. I'm guessing the temperture spike is from heat soak after the water stops circulating the coolant but I can't tell how fast it is spiking. The MAF readings seemed to have a fairly linear relationship with engine load. At the couple of points I looked at it looked like every ~10% of engine load correlated to about ~30g/sec more maf reading.
That's kinda what I figr'd, it makes sense with load. The device time gives scale but I'm not sure what that is. If I turn GPS on it gives clock time as well.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #7

I've always have had issues with Torque and they way it exports the cvs files. It doesn't seem to put the right data in the right column. I was able to fix it by hand but still a pain.

Still one of the best apps out there
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20
Old 04-01-2011, 12:32 AM   #8

If you need to data log something let me know. I have HP tuners and you can borrow my laptop on the next meet at GMR. It has a real badass readout and can be customized for literally any readings you want. MAF (HZ), MAP, engine load, rpm, coolant, speed, baro pressure, timing, wideband sensors, cam angles (for my variable valve timing), injectors... basically if your car's ecu controls or records it I can log it on HP. And it can clear codes and stuff... any chevy, dodge, or ford.

The Race Car lol: 2004 Cadillac CTS-V... With things.

Better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.