Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 03-10-2011, 11:55 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Changed T-Stat, Need ODBII Reader for Coolant Temp

There's a lot of back story, but I'll try to stay on the main point.

Changed t-stat tonight to 160.
The tune I had done a couple months ago to account for larger injectors was also supposed to be for the 160 T-Stat.
My temp guage does not read correctly; I have the stock 82' Vette temp gauage, but the signal is coming from the LS1, so it reads way hotter than it is. I'm used to it being in the red, which as I recall from previous computer readings is about 200+- . . I think. However, after changing out the stat tonight it was off the scale past the thread so I stopped right away.

I had to use a Mr. Gasket 160 "Hi Performance" t-stat because the OEM version at 160 doesn't fit the neck Ihave to use coming out of the engine. I don't think I put the damn thing in backwards, the hose was good and hot, so it much be flowing hot water.

It looked pretty much like this. I put the cone side facing the hose and the "hand side" towards the motor.

I need someone with an ODBII capable scanner that will read Coolant Temp so I can know for sure what it is.

Anyone?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-11-2011, 01:49 AM   #2

I got a bluetooth reader off ebay. One of the best things I ever got.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLUET...ht_4686wt_1167
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20
Old 03-11-2011, 02:05 AM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackax View Post
I got a bluetooth reader off ebay. One of the best things I ever got.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLUET...ht_4686wt_1167

I've been looking into those for my DroidX (+Torque). It seems the cheap ones as above are hit and miss. Yours seems to work. So when you coming over?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-11-2011, 02:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I've been looking into those for my DroidX (+Torque). It seems the cheap ones as above are hit and miss. Yours seems to work. So when you coming over?
Ya It works great andI love Torque. I'm going out to west Covina tomorrow after work so I could drop it off on my way.
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20
Old 03-11-2011, 02:26 AM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Ya It works great andI love Torque. I'm going out to west Covina tomorrow after work so I could drop it off on my way.
Thank you! PM sent. Are you gonna run Mulholland? If so I can return it to you then.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-11-2011, 02:28 AM   #6

No problem. I'm was planning on it. but i still have not made up my mind yet.
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20
Old 03-11-2011, 02:43 AM   #7
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
No problem. I'm was planning on it. but i still have not made up my mind yet.
This is where we'll be at 1'27". I seriously want to get my Vette running after such a long hyatis so I can enjoy this run . . . t-tops down and all.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-11-2011, 06:46 AM   #8

Damn ! Those guys have slow cars. Even my Toyota Yaris can beat a one minute 1/4 mile !
Old 03-11-2011, 06:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
There's a lot of back story, but I'll try to stay on the main point.

Changed t-stat tonight to 160.
The tune I had done a couple months ago to account for larger injectors was also supposed to be for the 160 T-Stat.
My temp guage does not read correctly; I have the stock 82' Vette temp gauage, but the signal is coming from the LS1, so it reads way hotter than it is. I'm used to it being in the red, which as I recall from previous computer readings is about 200+- . . I think. However, after changing out the stat tonight it was off the scale past the thread so I stopped right away.

I had to use a Mr. Gasket 160 "Hi Performance" t-stat because the OEM version at 160 doesn't fit the neck Ihave to use coming out of the engine. I don't think I put the damn thing in backwards, the hose was good and hot, so it much be flowing hot water.

It looked pretty much like this. I put the cone side facing the hose and the "hand side" towards the motor.

I need someone with an ODBII capable scanner that will read Coolant Temp so I can know for sure what it is.

Anyone?
Sometimes it can be a PITA to bleed out the air . Try taking off the upper hose and filling the block , by putting the coolant in the upper neck.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdracer73 View Post
Sometimes it can be a PITA to bleed out the air . Try taking off the upper hose and filling the block , by putting the coolant in the upper neck.
Roger. I never knew that. But I guess that makes sense. If some air is in the system, that'll heat up mighty fine and not carry much heat away. Doh!

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)