Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 03-22-2009, 11:00 PM   #171
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
enkei -

- We will weld and fill flat the rear and front molding areas.
- We will make the groove look nice.

Focus on design and method for the the bumper first, then we'll move forward.

bird -

- no 4x4 flares, those are for 4x4s
- lexan sounds cool, but it's not something that needs to be handled and because there's so many other small items to deal with we'll stick with glass

Design method -> 10 parts foam + 1 knife + artistic talent = plan of action

Ugly body grooves -> Yes they will be wavy, metal or not. If you find the time Mon or Tues night, check them out real carefully and apply some filler where I fucked them up with the pry bar. This way we can block sand all the body work Wed. You will also need to find/ buy a mini rectangular block for the grooves. Durablock prob makes one.

Also, if you want we can mask and prime or at least spot prime Wed. If you don't have a gun let me know. For this we'll need blue or green painters masking tape, and masking paper. Or we can double up newspaper.

Final thought, if you buy paint. Get the slow reducer. Slow. Don't care what billy bob says at the paint supply store or what joe ass clown says on the other forum... slow reducer. Slooowww.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:06 PM   #172
Super Moderator

Second final thought welding that piece onto the roof, then spending hours filling and sanding and filling and sanding and priming and filling and sanding and priming and glazing and sanding and priming and sanding (Yes those are all necessary, in that order) is a whole hell of a lot of work to do to produce a very gay stock look.

I vote for lexan/ open/ or a net. It'll save time, weight, cost, and you can sell that top on e-bay for prob a decent amount.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:10 PM   #173
Super Moderator

If you want an example of wavy metal grooves, look at the drivers side door on my Neon. Wavy as all hell, why? Because I don't care about that car, because it's a Neon, and worse a Dodge. Ergo, it deserves wavy panels. Which is prob why Rice-Rocket-Hating-Bird is attempting to dissuade you.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:11 PM   #174
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Second final thought welding that piece onto the roof, then spending hours filling and sanding and filling and sanding and priming and filling and sanding and priming and glazing and sanding and priming and sanding (Yes those are all necessary, in that order) is a whole hell of a lot of work to do to produce a very gay stock look.

I vote for lexan/ open/ or a net. It'll save time, weight, cost, and you can sell that top on e-bay for prob a decent amount.
A good rational point.

Open is almost certainly not NHRA legal, so I'm pretty sure that's out.

Net? I don't know
Lexan? Probably legal, but I don't know

Anybody know a NHRA rule guru? I'll set it aside for now. Plenty of other things to do.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-22-2009, 11:18 PM   #175
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
If you want an example of wavy metal grooves, look at the drivers side door on my Neon. Wavy as all hell, why? Because I don't care about that car, because it's a Neon, and worse a Dodge. Ergo, it deserves wavy panels. Which is prob why Rice-Rocket-Hating-Bird is attempting to dissuade you.
The groove will be exquisite when we're done. We can make an applicator for the groove (like a template) out of wood or plastic to make it easier to apply and smooth efficiently.

BTW, in case you didn't get my voicemail, you're open windows are

M-W-Th-F 1:00-8:00pm. Wednesday might open up as I think I'll try to take it off.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-22-2009, 11:44 PM   #176
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
The groove will be exquisite when we're done. We can make an applicator for the groove (like a template) out of wood or plastic to make it easier to apply and smooth efficiently.

BTW, in case you didn't get my voicemail, you're open windows are

M-W-Th-F 1:00-8:00pm. Wednesday might open up as I think I'll try to take it off.
Get the foam yet?
Old 03-23-2009, 01:49 AM   #177
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Get the foam yet?
No. What kind of foam from where and I'll get it. Or you can get what you need and I'll reimburse you for it.

Don't have a gun, tape or paper.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #178

Send a message via AIM to kameleongt

we can get a small sanding block that should fit in that groove.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:55 AM   #179
I, Vettezuki

Here's a lil Time Lapse from the day.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #180
Neanderthal

Well, not to complain. BUT. Too many ugly guys and only one cute girl. You need more women if you want me to watch these.
2016 Nissan Altma