Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 05-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Finish has more to do with the supplies than the sprayer.

Just sprayed the boat.

On the vette we used $1100 worth of PPG epoxy and House of Kolors tri-stage paint and a $500 Sata gun.

I just used $300 worth of Kustom Shop epoxy and Northstar single-stage paint with a $15 gun.

Orangepeeleriffic. I don't know if single-stage will colorsand, but I hope so. I blame the gun primarily. I think the paint would never has been as nice as HOK, but it would have laid on a lot smoother and faster with a Sata.

I spent 3 1/3 hours doing just the charcoal color! That Harbor Freight gun has either no fan width or no volume. I like firehose guns, this gun sucks balls. Plus! You can't see yellow when it's coming out! Could have been the bad lighting, but after the first coat I may as well have been blind.

Lesson to be learned for the snake, someone needs to pony up for a Sata of if we use that Husky, we will be colorsanding. For sure.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Just sprayed the boat.

On the vette we used $1100 worth of PPG epoxy and House of Kolors tri-stage paint and a $500 Sata gun.

I just used $300 worth of Kustom Shop epoxy and Northstar single-stage paint with a $15 gun.

Orangepeeleriffic. I don't know if single-stage will colorsand, but I hope so. I blame the gun primarily. I think the paint would never has been as nice as HOK, but it would have laid on a lot smoother and faster with a Sata.

I spent 3 1/3 hours doing just the charcoal color! That Harbor Freight gun has either no fan width or no volume. I like firehose guns, this gun sucks balls. Plus! You can't see yellow when it's coming out! Could have been the bad lighting, but after the first coat I may as well have been blind.

Lesson to be learned for the snake, someone needs to pony up for a Sata of if we use that Husky, we will be colorsanding. For sure.

Aaron's gun (don't know if you've seen it) is apparently some knock-off of a Gucci german made gun. And you know the Germans make good stuff.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Aaron's gun (don't know if you've seen it) is apparently some knock-off of a Gucci german made gun. And you know the German's make good stuff.
I've used several knock offs, they've all sucked. I'll be able to tell if it's good when we do primer.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
Fast & Filthy

Where are the pictures?
Old 05-28-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Where are the pictures?
In my camera which is right next to me. But I don't have my memory car reader down here. You gotta wait till tomorrow sucka! Plus I'll be able to pull off the masking tape by then.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
That's Mr. Bitch to you.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Cry? Here's a quick cell phone pic.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:26 AM   #8

Look into "Finish-Line" guns. I use them in my shop. Inexpensive (relatively) with very good spray pattern, and various sized tips are available.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:48 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_G View Post
Look into "Finish-Line" guns. I use them in my shop. Inexpensive (relatively) with very good spray pattern, and various sized tips are available.
Thanks for the tip. I think I'll wait a few years and buy myself a new Sata when I have a job. There are plenty of good guns out there, but Satas are notorious for being firehoses, and I do much better with a lot of volume.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:50 AM   #10
Super Moderator

No comments on the boat? Realy? Is it that bad?