Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default The latest jazz on my brothers car to be.

Just drove a 98 Mustang with the 4.6. It has a Saleen body kit, doubt that it was actually a Saleen. 97K. Nice 18" wheels, tread left on the tires, brake pads are thick, motor is drip free, trans shifts nicely (5 speed), clutch doesn't slip. Hasn't been in an accident from what I can tell. If someone wants to run the vin (1FAFP42X4WF174706) go for it. There is a cold air intake and some flowmasters welded on, the air intake hooks up to all of the factory stuff so it should pass the visual I would think.

They want 6K for it and so far are unwilling to budge. But mechanically it gets my approval, which is strange seeing as how it's a Ford. Juuust kidding. Hey, at least it's not a Dodge... not kidding... sorry Boostn.

Yeah it's slow, but that's good for my brother. 220hp is 120 too many for him.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Just drove a 98 Mustang with the 4.6. It has a Saleen body kit, doubt that it was actually a Saleen. 97K. Nice 18" wheels, tread left on the tires, brake pads are thick, motor is drip free, trans shifts nicely (5 speed), clutch doesn't slip. Hasn't been in an accident from what I can tell. If someone wants to run the vin go for it. There is a cold air intake and some flowmasters welded on, the air intake hooks up to all of the factory stuff so it should pass the visual I would think.

They want 6K for it and so far are unwilling to budge. But mechanically it gets my approval, which is strange seeing as how it's a Ford. Juuust kidding. Hey, at least it's not a Dodge... not kidding... sorry Boostn.

The only bad thing about the 96-98 GT is that it's pretty tough to get extra power out of them at all. Basically you have to do what's called a PI head swap to get them to about 275hp. Otherwise, they look great but are kind of slow This may be good for your brother now, but eventually he's going to want more power....
Old 11-30-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Just drove a 98 Mustang with the 4.6. It has a Saleen body kit, doubt that it was actually a Saleen. 97K. Nice 18" wheels, tread left on the tires, brake pads are thick, motor is drip free, trans shifts nicely (5 speed), clutch doesn't slip. Hasn't been in an accident from what I can tell. If someone wants to run the vin (1FAFP42X4WF174706) go for it. There is a cold air intake and some flowmasters welded on, the air intake hooks up to all of the factory stuff so it should pass the visual I would think.

HAHA k but 75k and 240whp still strong! Haven't had any major issues. I'm still a honda guy at heart... I thought in all honesty that Ford had a worse reputation then Dodge though...

Best ET 14.668 see timeslip
Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
I'd race ya, but you'd eat me up dawg!!!
Old 11-30-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn View Post
HAHA k but 75k and 240whp still strong! Haven't had any major issues. I'm still a honda guy at heart... I thought in all honesty that Ford had a worse reputation then Dodge though...
They did, but Ford cars are better now. It's too bad SRT's are out of the price range he's looking in, because an SRT4 would walk a 96-98 GT pretty good...
Old 11-30-2008, 06:39 PM   #5
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
His mom has an SRT4 for the record and I think it's been a pretty good car so far
Old 11-30-2008, 07:48 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
His mom has an SRT4 for the record and I think it's been a pretty good car so far
That's only because she doesn't post on here.

And if I had to build a motor new HEADS and cam, then my little prick brother can do it too. His car already has cool wheels, is lowered and has decent paint. I would have taken this over the Vette in highschool.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
They did, but Ford cars are better now. It's too bad SRT's are out of the price range he's looking in, because an SRT4 would walk a 96-98 GT pretty good...
ya... not around 6k thats for sure... but gettin to be between 13k and 16k for a good deal on one!

Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 12-01-2008, 12:12 AM   #8
Super Moderator

And yes Ford is getting better, much better. 90s sucked, even early 00s sucked. But the new ones are more reliable than GM and Dodge, so I hear. Then again, the new ones haven't been around long enough to show how the big important stuff will hold up.

If you want reliable, buy Toyota. And I'm sure I'll never hear the end of that.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:31 AM   #9
Boost Junkie

Quote:
And yes Ford is getting better, much better. 90s sucked, even early 00s sucked. But the new ones are more reliable than GM and Dodge, so I hear. Then again, the new ones haven't been around long enough to show how the big important stuff will hold up.

If you want reliable, buy Honda. And I'm sure I'll never hear the end of that.
Fixed

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 12-01-2008, 12:41 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Fixed
Ahahaha! Nice.

Hondas mechanically are pretty reliable. They do make a lot of cheap soft parts though, like CV boots and window rollers. I would definitely take a Corolla over a Civic. Then again, the new Hondas are getting much better...