Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems
View Poll Results: Ideas for a Project car
V8 (SBC/ BBC/ SBF/ BBF/ SBM/ BBM) in a 240sx 1 16.67%
TT V6 in a 240sx 0 0%
V8 in an RX7 2 33.33%
TT V6 in an RX7 0 0%
V8 in a Mustang 2 2 33.33%
TT V6 in a Mustang 2 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:38 PM   #61
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
Other than test driving the original Mazda RX in HS, I don't know squat about them.(Still have the original 1st year brochure)
Are they unibody or frame? Morphing a car without a frame is tough. Chopping up the required room weakens them alot.
After trashing the driveline and rear, all you really have is a shell and front susp.
If it's a 75 or newer, which an RX7 is, it's gonna be a track car, since smog is totally out.
I wish Bob and I hadn't flipped his sons old race ready Vega. THAT would have been the catz azz. Stripped, tubed, tubbed, and reworked front and 9"rear.
They are unibody. I'm not sure how much chopping is really required in this case. Apparently show car registration allows it to be driven on the street for a limited number of miles.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 12-30-2008, 09:39 PM   #62
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
I also have a 4 speed toploader that will mate right up to it.
Duly noted brother Joe. To be clear, we are talking about donations here, or really really cheap.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 12-30-2008, 09:48 PM   #63
I, Vettezuki

Default Mmm

It seems that SBCs in RX7s are so common that there is an entire community devoted to them with a coming book and DVD!

http://www.v8rx7forum.com/

This means I'd either
a) rather do something else
b) it's gott be a little quirky, like an E85 TT V8

Continue discussion. I'll make a decision once I see all the major issues are on the table and can see a path to the best option.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 12-30-2008, 09:50 PM   #64
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Duly noted brother Joe. To be clear, we are talking about donations here, or really really cheap.
LOL, true story

Old 12-30-2008, 09:57 PM   #65

Quote:
I'd be happy to donate if the car gets built.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?

Old 12-30-2008, 10:10 PM   #66
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
I'd be happy to donate if the car gets built.
Numero Uno, I won't start this project til I know it can be done. Ask Sean, I get twitchy when things go slow. I can't stand not finishing things, won't happen. So rest assured on that account.

Poll options updated to reflect availability of 302 Ford.

Obviously the slam dunk is this motor in a Mustang 2, but I almost feel that's too easy.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 12-30-2008, 10:24 PM   #67

Quote:
Numero Uno, I won't start this project til I know it can be done. Ask Sean, I get twitchy when things go slow. I can't stand not finishing things, won't happen. So rest assured on that account.

Poll options updated to reflect availability of 302 Ford.

Obviously the slam dunk is this motor in a Mustang 2, but I almost feel that's too easy.
I also have a broken Holley 174 blower that could be fixed up with a couple of replacement parts, if this gets serious.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?

Old 12-30-2008, 10:34 PM   #68
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
I also have a broken Holley 174 blower that could be fixed up with a couple of replacement parts, if this gets serious.
Be sure to vote in the poll if you haven't already.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 12-30-2008, 10:43 PM   #69

ooooohhhhh crap y is it when you guys said rx-7 i was so thinking of the 93 and up years bwahaha oh man im trippin!!!

i think the first thing you guys need to set up is a budget or at least a budget mark and set it with a 5 grand give or take mark.

then go from there

how about we start with a basic parts bin and cars we know will fit into that parts bin *obviously mine are gonna be imports b/c its wat i know*

strong engine
-sbc
-2jz *94-up supra*
-new 4g63 *03-06 evo*
-older 4g63 *89-99 eclipse/89-90 galant*
-13b turbo *93-up rx-7
most honda motors once u build them up and it doesnt hit the wallet too hard

strong rear end
03-06 evo
89-99 eclipse
89-90 galant
93-up rx-7
94-up supra
86-89 starion
86-87 rwd corolla
99-08 wrx/legacy
510z
240sx all years
300zx

or pretty much any import with a rear LSD

strong tranny from my knowledge
94-up supra
93-up rx-7

as far as mix and matching engines to trannies i know the rx-7 tranny can be matted with a mitsu bell housing to fit an eclipse or evo engines.

and ive seen in magazines and what not people mate things to the supra tranny.

now through everyone elses ideas into those 3 catagories and lets see what the cheaper solution will be to make this cost effective

the place i think your gonna save money on is if you buy a car that already comes with a strong rear end. but a blown engine or tranny or badly running engine and tranny

ie-starion, eclipse, 240sx, 510 datsun, 86-87 corolla as far as import land are gonna be your best bets for being cheap

**Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car
**Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
**Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall
**Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:57 PM   #70
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* View Post
ooooohhhhh crap y is it when you guys said rx-7 i was so thinking of the 93 and up years bwahaha oh man im trippin!!!

i think the first thing you guys need to set up is a budget or at least a budget mark and set it with a 5 grand give or take mark.

then go from there

how about we start with a basic parts bin and cars we know will fit into that parts bin *obviously mine are gonna be imports b/c its wat i know*

strong engine
-sbc
-2jz *94-up supra*
-new 4g63 *03-06 evo*
-older 4g63 *89-99 eclipse/89-90 galant*
-13b turbo *93-up rx-7
most honda motors once u build them up and it doesnt hit the wallet too hard

strong rear end
03-06 evo
89-99 eclipse
89-90 galant
93-up rx-7
94-up supra
86-89 starion
86-87 rwd corolla
99-08 wrx/legacy
510z
240sx all years
300zx

or pretty much any import with a rear LSD

strong tranny from my knowledge
94-up supra
93-up rx-7

as far as mix and matching engines to trannies i know the rx-7 tranny can be matted with a mitsu bell housing to fit an eclipse or evo engines.

and ive seen in magazines and what not people mate things to the supra tranny.

now through everyone elses ideas into those 3 catagories and lets see what the cheaper solution will be to make this cost effective

the place i think your gonna save money on is if you buy a car that already comes with a strong rear end. but a blown engine or tranny or badly running engine and tranny

ie-starion, eclipse, 240sx, 510 datsun, 86-87 corolla as far as import land are gonna be your best bets for being cheap

Nice job simplifying . . .

See the first post which I update constantly with available parts donations. We have three engine/trans combos in the pipeline.

I agree with you point about the roller, one with a stout rear end would be good. The great thing about the M2 is how easy and cheap it is to set up with a Ford 8.8 or even 9" which will take massive abuse.

Personally, for the challenge and because of the kind of site we're trying to build, I'd like some mixing and matching. But that's by no means a hard rule.

As bird pointed out, easy for the first one is a good idea. It'll give us a chance to get our feet wet with this kind of thing. We can build up to more ambitious from there.

As for money, let's just somewhere between cheap and really cheap.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Closed Thread