Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems
View Poll Results: Ideas for a Project car
V8 (SBC/ BBC/ SBF/ BBF/ SBM/ BBM) in a 240sx 1 16.67%
TT V6 in a 240sx 0 0%
V8 in an RX7 2 33.33%
TT V6 in an RX7 0 0%
V8 in a Mustang 2 2 33.33%
TT V6 in a Mustang 2 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 07:44 PM   #51
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
As you pointed out I think the most critical challenge will be the diff. What are the guys who have RX7s with LS1s running I wonder.
We could always swap out whatever is in it for something cheap like a Chevy 12 bolt or a Ford 8.8. You could get an 8.8 out of an Explorer from a wrecking yard fairly cheap and it comes with 31 spline axles and disc brakes.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:46 PM   #52
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
We could always swap out whatever is in it for something cheap like a Chevy 12 bolt or a Ford 8.8. You could get an 8.8 out of an Explorer from a wrecking yard fairly cheap and it comes with 31 spline axles and disc brakes.
Whattaya think of an RX7 with a Ghetto-blown V8 and Ford rear end as a first project car?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 12-30-2008, 07:56 PM   #53
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Whattaya think of an RX7 with a Ghetto-blown V8 and Ford rear end as a first project car?
Sounds fun except for the blower. With how light that car is a roots blower isn't a good match. Either go with a high winding N/A combo or a couple of small turbos. The one advantage of the SBC is cost of parts. You can get a complete rebuild kit from Summit Racing with 11.93 compression hypereutectic pistons from under $400 which would be great for a N/A combo. If you go the blower or turbo route you'll definately want forged pistons.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:05 PM   #54
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Sounds fun except for the blower. With how light that car is a roots blower isn't a good match. Either go with a high winding N/A combo or a couple of small turbos. The one advantage of the SBC is cost of parts. You can get a complete rebuild kit from Summit Racing with 11.93 compression hypereutectic pistons from under $400 which would be great for a N/A combo. If you go the blower or turbo route you'll definately want forged pistons.

I like the idea of a turbo motor (cuz I want to learn about it). enkeivette suggested some old 6-71 or 8-71 off an old GM diesel. See here for more info:
http://motorgen.com/forum/showpost.p...6&postcount=14

Anybody have major objections to some kind of RX7 with some kind of SBC?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 12-30-2008, 09:01 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
Yes, the Mustang II.
BUT!!!! They want to put a SBC in it. That just won't do. If we want to go fast we will need a FORD motor.

I've got a forged 302 long block with E7 iron heads, roller rockers , and a custom grind roller cam set up for a blower. It has the oil pan and timing cover for the old 60s cars. The engine bearly had 5000 miles on it when I pulled it for a stroked 347.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?

Old 12-30-2008, 09:04 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
I've got a forged 302 long block with E7 iron heads, roller rockers , and a custom grind roller cam set up for a blower. It has the oil pan and timing cover for the old 60s cars. The engine bearly had 5000 miles on it when I pulled it for a stroked 347.
I also have a 4 speed toploader that will mate right up to it.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?

Old 12-30-2008, 09:12 PM   #57
Power's off.

Quote:
I like the idea of a turbo motor (cuz I want to learn about it). enkeivette suggested some old 6-71 or 8-71 off an old GM diesel. See here for more info:
http://motorgen.com/forum/showpost.p...6&postcount=14

Anybody have major objections to some kind of RX7 with some kind of SBC?
Other than test driving the original Mazda RX in HS, I don't know squat about them.(Still have the original 1st year brochure)
Are they unibody or frame? Morphing a car without a frame is tough. Chopping up the required room weakens them alot.
After trashing the driveline and rear, all you really have is a shell and front susp.
If it's a 75 or newer, which an RX7 is, it's gonna be a track car, since smog is totally out.
I wish Bob and I hadn't flipped his sons old race ready Vega. THAT would have been the catz azz. Stripped, tubed, tubbed, and reworked front and 9"rear.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:15 PM   #58
Power's off.

Quote:

As for the M2, I'm actually very interested in doing this as a future project, but with the Mitsubishi or Nissan engine. There are lots of American engines in imports, but VERY few import engines in American cars, so it's kinda more interesting, but it'd definitely be more expensive given the nature of those engines.
Wish I could find those pictures. There is a guy in Frisco with big $$$ that stuffed a Jag V-12 in the front compartment of a Corvair. Outside looked completely stock. S C R E A M E R.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:24 PM   #59
Power's off.

That reminds me of the best sleeper I ever rode in. I had an old friend who was a mechanic in Newport Beach at the Yacht yards. He put a buick V-6 in the back of a Fiat Station Wagon. Quiet exhaust. Whenever he was challenged, he was down the street before the other guy crossed the intersection. Bill was his name. HP/weight was unreal.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #60
Power's off.

Quote:
Yep. Spot on.

Closed Thread