Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 08-14-2008, 09:29 PM   #1

Default age old debate!!! forced induction!

what poison do u prefer? and y?
naturally aspirated
supercharged *roots or centrifugal*
or
turbo charged *maybe even explain what family and size of turbo*

what do u like? y did u pick what u picked? what would u prefer for ur car?

and what are ur reasons for not picking the other 2 choices? now discuss
Old 08-14-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

If I had an unlimited budget I'd build a forged LSx variant turbocharged motor. You just can't beat the combination of power and street manners that a modern turbocharged engine produces.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
Super Moderator

As far as aftermarket performance, I'm going to have to go with centrifugal superchargers. Surprise surprise. You've got the ease of installation, minus the heat of a roots, and you have the option of intercooling. Plus! No lag, instant power. The liquid intercoolers on the roots blowers aren't readily available/ cost effective for aftermarket performance.

Although! If the car was equipped with a turbo from the factory making installation of a larger turbo much easier, than I would opt to go with an intercooled turbo setup. Less loss than a centrifugal supercharger, and a cooler BOV noise!

If install difficulty was not a factor, on any motor, I would go with an intercooled turbo.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
As far as aftermarket performance, I'm going to have to go with centrifugal superchargers. Surprise surprise. You've got the ease of installation, minus the heat of a roots, and you have the option of intercooling. Plus! No lag, instant power. The liquid intercoolers on the roots blowers aren't readily available/ cost effective for aftermarket performance.

Although! If the car was equipped with a turbo from the factory making installation of a larger turbo much easier, than I would opt to go with an intercooled turbo setup. Less loss than a centrifugal supercharger, and a cooler BOV noise!

If install difficulty was not a factor, on any motor, I would go with an intercooled turbo.
now u see how i feel!!! its all about the BOV lol! but u gotta be careful with that statement not all stock turbo motors are built the same!! IE skyline/evo/supra engine compared to say a VW gti, or starion or volvo engine lol the later will cause u much more stress :-(
Old 08-14-2008, 09:56 PM   #5
I, Vettezuki

For me there's nothing like the crack response of a hi strung NA motor. They'll also run hard continuously longer than most FI setups, which (unless they are properly built) will run into all kinds of heat issues regardless. Ask Sean about heat sink on his blower. I have no such problems and can hot lap on a hot day; he'll lose tenths.

That being said, I think a dream motor for my vette would be a Kenne Bell 2.3 Twin Screw, 15psi, on a 383 stroker. That outta gett'r done.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-14-2008, 10:43 PM   #6
FWD = FAIL

turbo always have love turbos. Love how the sound when spooling up love the power curve just all in all fun. Thats why i went turbo instead of supercharged on my Impala.

When racing a turbo car turbo lag gives you a second to reflect about the poor decision you have just made to race it.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by heypal View Post
turbo always have love turbos. Love how the sound when spooling up love the power curve just all in all fun. Thats why i went turbo instead of supercharged on my Impala.

When racing a turbo car turbo lag gives you a second to reflect about the poor decision you have just made to race it.
lol i love ur response! but if u ever didnt want to give then time to reflect on there poor decision u can always anti-lag ur turbo system and spool up like a u have a baby turbo but still get all the power ur big ol turbo promised
Old 08-15-2008, 12:02 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* View Post
now u see how i feel!!! its all about the BOV lol! but u gotta be careful with that statement not all stock turbo motors are built the same!! IE skyline/evo/supra engine compared to say a VW gti, or starion or volvo engine lol the later will cause u much more stress :-(
I can imagine, even my mom's SRT4 is awful. The turbo is wedged between the motor and the firewall and it took me an hour just to install a BOV! It was one of the situations where you can't fit a ratcheting wrench in there but you desperatley need to.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:37 PM   #9
Neanderthal

Roots fan. Yea, I know but still a fan.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 08-15-2008, 02:06 PM   #10
Fast & Filthy

I like the centrifugal on my Cobra. So much so that's what I'm going to do with the Chevelle for the next engine.