Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #161
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
Its up to y'all, if you dont mind parking the car without tops on it then do it.

However i may have struck out with the dude since he stopped texting me after trying to haggle with him
Ask the guy in Rialto if he'll take $400. Don't be afraid to tell him what it's for and why we need a little headroom below $500.

Q: He says it overheats? With a 5.0, what are the most likely causes? Just a stuck t-stat? Something more ominous?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 11-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #162
pain's fun, hit me again

Bad radiator is the worst case, $90 replacement
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!

Old 11-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #163
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
Bad radiator is the worst case, $90 replacement
It's probably a good idea to have a top, for storage and running. See if he'll take $400.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 11-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #164
pain's fun, hit me again

I'll try but i have a shit load of orders and todays my dads bday so no promises
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!

Old 11-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #165
I, Vettezuki

Ron, do you have any input between the 84 and 85?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 11-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #166

IDK if storing without the tops is really that big an issue. It doesn't rain much here, and a good tarp should keep most of the water out. I am sure that there would still be a good deal of condensation, but i doubt that anything that hasn't rusted so far on a 25 year old mustang would rust because of anything we could do to it.

Selling the t-tops for close to what we could buy the car for sounds very appealing. The down side is that it would probably put us into the type of convertible classing that would require arm restraints. They are not really that bad, but it would probably add a good 20-30 seconds to driver changes.

I'm sorry that I haven't been very involved with the car selection process, it just seems like a few of you have better connections to the places that would have $500 mustangs. We can all check CL, but there doesn't seem to be much, and I am seeing the same things that all of you are.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:44 AM   #167

The over heating on a 5.0L often causes blown head gaskets, which is not expensive, but is labor intensive. I was talking to Ron about the T-tops on the Camaro we were thinking about. I think some sheet metal, silicon and rivets will take care of the problem. It doesn't have to be pretty, just functional.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:07 AM   #168

^ Blow headgasket is no problem as long as the problems stop there or with a slightly warped head at worst. It should only take a few hours to get it off, a day at a machine shop, and a few hours to put it back together.

As for the tops, great point, I hadn't though about something like that. Sell them for a few hundred, and replace them for $5.

As far as possible overheating issues I would assume that we are looking at either a leak somewhere, T-stat, water pump (which would be probably be leaking), or brown sludge if someone mixed coolant types (which isn't that likely since IIRC mustangs have never used anything other than green from the factory.)

Old 11-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #169
I, Vettezuki

We've got fiberglass molding and (some modest) sheet metal skills including welding. We could even mold the tops and they'd slot in the same.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 11-04-2011, 12:01 PM   #170
I, Vettezuki

The 84 is gone. Asking about the overheating in the 85.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)