Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Cold Air intake Pre-intercooler, Advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Dude, we need to take some peyote, go on a Vision Quest and figure out how to get some nice air to your intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo View Post
And that is all hogwash, I have a cartridge maf in mine, it has an internal temp sensor that I can read in the data stream. I have my filter over the headers too and had been thinking about complicated cold air ducting systems and none were pleasing to the eye. So....I set off to actually measure it. I hooked a length of 3" brake duct to the SC and replaced the filter and guess what,...there was little or no difference to the intake air temp. So little that I call it an insignificant difference. This is with my water to air AC and the pump running, so I figured maybe the intercooler is taking out the heat as its supposed to but that will not allow me to test the theory of hot air entering the SC so I turned the pump off and let it run like that, the air temp raises but stabilizes and there is no big diff between where the filter is located either.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Don't really know what this is from but now that I think about it I think this is going to be pretty intercooler system dependent, because of the capacity/effeciency of how much heat it can remove. IOW, a wider ranger of input temps(cold air intake vs. not) may result in relatively narrow output temps as he measured, BUT that's because of how good his IC is. A smaller capacity/efficiency IC system would result in a wider range of output temps as a function of input temps. Or put yet another way, his measured ratios would not map to other setups independent of the specifics of the IC system.

Practically, I would suggest this means that if one has a very large/effecient IC setup, then cold intake is probably irrelevant, and vice versa.

But maybe in the real world, all intercooler systems are sufficient to make cold air intake irrelevant.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
Fast & Filthy

How did he test this? Did he test it at idle, cruise, drag strip, road course? I would think that a cold air intake with an intercooler would make a pretty big difference on a car that was driven on a road course over drawing air hot air right over the exhaust. The cylinder temps get a lot hotter on a road course. With the Cobra (supercharged non intercooled) I have to run on the pump gas tune with 110 octane to keep it from detonating. When I drag race it I can run the race gas tune with 100 octane and the timing bumped another 4 degrees and it doesn't detonate.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
How did he test this? Did he test it at idle, cruise, drag strip, road course? I would think that a cold air intake with an intercooler would make a pretty big difference on a car that was driven on a road course over drawing air hot air right over the exhaust. The cylinder temps get a lot hotter on a road course. With the Cobra (supercharged non intercooled) I have to run on the pump gas tune with 110 octane to keep it from detonating. When I drag race it I can run the race gas tune with 100 octane and the timing bumped another 4 degrees and it doesn't detonate.
I tend to agree, but the isolated variable here is not cylinder temps, but the temps coming out of the intercooler with and without a cold air intake. The only thing I could imagine is that if the interncooler is so big and efficient, it may not matter that much. But yes, under harsh conditions, the under hood temps as the headers really start to glow must be considerably higher. So if you have a smaller IC setup and you drive the piss out of your car, then piping in cold air might really make a difference.

It's a complexity problem, lots of sliding variables under different conditions.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Interesting, so considering that mine is a street car and my IC fans are on constantly... Im just not gonna worry about it.

Ron, no idea, but Im sure it was not tested at a road course. He has a dyno I think, so he prob tested it on that.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Interesting, so considering that mine is a street car and my IC fans are on constantly... Im just not gonna worry about it.

Ron, no idea, but Im sure it was not tested at a road course. He has a dyno I think, so he prob tested it on that.

I think his car is scheduled for completion in 2035. But yeah, if you got a big ole fanned intercooler on a street car, I wouldn't sweat it either.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-23-2012, 05:58 AM   #7
Super Moderator

His car has a full rolling suspension and steering setup. And an at least ready to plumb and fire drivetrain. Theres no reason he hasnt driven the car in the last 5 years.

But that build started when he totaled that car like 10? 15? years ago, and it seems like he has some psychological trauma/ road block preventing him from driving it. Ive seen that kind of situation before.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:04 AM   #8
Super Moderator

I would love to see that car in action though... its about as close to an F1 car as I think anyone has ever got with a street car. Haha
Old 10-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #9
Fast & Filthy

Who's car is it? Do you have a link to the build?
Old 10-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Who's car is it? Do you have a link to the build?
It's Twin Turbo's fairly insane (totally) C3 Corvette. He's the owner/admin of Vettemod. He's designed a ton of stuff including a one-off multi-link suspension, cad files and all.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)