Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 06-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #31
Super Moderator

Deal breaker for you maybe, but my phone is as fast as my laptop. And I dont know about you and your line of work, but I dont do many bandwidth tests on my phone on an average day. Video downloading is about as extreme as I get

Then again, we're arguig about the subjective value of 100 to 200 dollars. Which is very diferent for someone that has worked for the past 7 years, than for someone who has been in school for the past 7 years. So, maybe the technology bragging rights would be well worth it for Ben, you are closer to a financial equal with him than I am...
Old 06-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #32
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Deal breaker for you maybe, but my phone is as fast as my laptop. And I dont know about you and your line of work, but I dont do many bandwidth tests on my phone on an average day. Video downloading is about as extreme as I get
We're not talking some tiny little improvement. We're talking about 7x to 40x as fast for data speeds. This is a bigger difference than 56k to DSL or Cable. Trust me, you would notice and never want to go back.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #33

Quote:
Im a fan of the iPhone. I have a 4 and the gps always has worked for me, only thing I dont like is that I have to hit next for the next direction, it doesnt feed automatically.

Picture quality is great, speed is good, auto correct is anoying so I turned it off. Any phone you get you should put it in an otterbox, good for a 50 foot drop.

Another thing about the speed. I was debating whether it was worth it to spend another 100 for the 4s, so I went to a verizon store, took a 4 and a 4s and loaded the same youtube video at the same time... they played at exactly the same time. Reality is, 4g service is limited to where there is a 4g tower, otherwise youre 3g at best, and most things online are prob limited by the server on the other end, not your bandwidth or your processor. Id wait till the 5 comes out and get a 4, theyll prob give them away like they did with the 3s.

...I would have gone for a 3 if I could have gotten one for less than my phone was. But I got this 32g one for $117 at frys. Go to frys, theyre usually the cheapest.
I suggest WAZE. Free spoken turn by turn gps with auto redirect, speed indication and live traffic updates. Much better than standard gps on maps.

Shaolin belief: Repay every wrong with forgiveness and kindness.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #34
Super Moderator

I was fine with a non smart phone up until I lost it 2 months ago. And Ill be fine with this one till I lose it or it breaks, trust me. My 5 year old laptop still works good too. Im not the kind of guy to go out and spend 2k on a mac book pro.

Sort of like my Vette, a blower cam will buy me prob about an additional 80 hp, considering my110 lsa is blowing a lot of my boost out the exhaust. But who cares? What am I going to do with another 80hp? The same thing Id do with a phone that downloads faster than my comp... point at it and smile. What else could I do? Haha
Old 06-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #35
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
I was fine with a non smart phone up until I lost it 2 months ago. And Ill be fine with this one till I lose it or it breaks, trust me. My 5 year old laptop still works good too. Im not the kind of guy to go out and spend 2k on a mac book pro.

Sort of like my Vette, a blower cam will buy me prob about an additional 80 hp, considering my110 lsa is blowing a lot of my boost out the exhaust. But who cares? What am I going to do with another 80hp? The same thing Id do with a phone that downloads faster than my comp... point at it and smile. What else could I do? Haha
I would argue the extra 80hp and faster download speeds are worth it.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #36

I do just fine with my ATT 3g. (7down 2 up) We don't need LTE speeds on our phones. If i want a fast connection i just connect to my home network (my cable is faster then LTE)

LTE is a huge jump for you VZ guys because your 3g is just so slow and there isn't an upgrade path for faster EVDO (VZ 3g tech)
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20
Old 06-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #37
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackax View Post
I do just fine with my ATT 3g. (7down 2 up) We don't need LTE speeds on our phones. If i want a fast connection i just connect to my home network (my cable is faster then LTE)

LTE is a huge jump for you VZ guys because your 3g is just so slow and there isn't an upgrade path for faster EVDO (VZ 3g tech)
I doubt you're consistently seeing 7 down with AT&T's 3g network, but with HSPA+ it is possible.

I hate the we don't need it argument. We also don't really need cars with over 100hp to get to and from places, but we do. You also don't "need" a smartphone. Why not go back to an old dumb phone that gets 3x the battery life?
Old 06-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #38
Super Moderator

Its not as simple as we dont need it, its a balancing argument. The 80hp would be worth the $300 to you, not to me. I dont want to drive a 100hp focus for 20k, Id pay the 40k for a cobra... but would I pay 200k for a gt40? No.

Similarly I had the option for the 4S and I went for the 4. I just dont care as much as you... This is not only relative to what we make but also subject to personal preference. Verizon had an offer for 4gigs of data a month if I went with a 4g android... I went with the slower iPhone and 3 gigs because I wanted the apple technology/ software. Im just not as concerned with capability as you are.

Another example is screen size, Id take an HTC hero over the iPhone if it was a comparable product. You want an even bigger screen.

Im wearing $200 rockin republic jeans (no I didnt pay that much) but Im guessing you dont even know what brand jeans you have on, nor do you care, nor would you spend more than $30 on a pair of jeans. Slacks maybe, jeans, doubt it.

You cant make the argument that everyone will regret not having purchased an LTE phone in 2 years, because the guy on the bus with a prepaid nokia probably isnt going to cry about it when they come out with 5g. Its all subjective and its all relative.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #39
I, Vettezuki

Gentlemen, marginalism, that is all.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
I doubt you're consistently seeing 7 down with AT&T's 3g network, but with HSPA+ it is possible.

I hate the we don't need it argument. We also don't really need cars with over 100hp to get to and from places, but we do. You also don't "need" a smartphone. Why not go back to an old dumb phone that gets 3x the battery life?

HSPA+ is att 3g no matter how much that want to call it 4g its 3g. And i range from 4 to 7 out here in the IE.

I understand your "Dont need" hate, so let me put it this way. What can you do with LTE that makes your phone so much better?

Beside from tether to a laptop I can't see a good reason for it. You don't need it for streaming video, 3g can stream 720p (highest phone res as of right now.) or playing games or surfing the web.

I also feel that most people don't need more then 10Mbit connection at home. An i'm a network guy and love having access to 10Gbit pipes but i can do everything i want to do from a 10Mbit pipe
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20