Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 04-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to SexyLxy
Default Morning car problems - 01 Ford Escape

I was sitting at an intersection this morning fooling with my cd in the player when the light changed and I let off my foot off the brake and then THUG (a noise from the rear of my car)! I was like what the hoot just happened. My first instinct was omg I was just rear ended again (In November I was rear ended pretty bad 5k+ in damages). So I looked back in my rear view mirror and the car behind me a honda pilot was clear enough away from me. So at this point my foot was off the break and I wasn't on any hill on incline that I knew about but was car wan't moving forward just with it's idle like I think it would have. I eased into the gas very slowly and cautiously thinking something horrible happened but nothing. So I continued on to work and when I got to work I parked and looked at my rear bumper and saw no signs of damage (just to make sure I wasn't rear ended) but I can't figure out for the life of me what it was. It maybe sounded like a cable snapped so when I got to work I put on the Ebrake and it gave me resistance so now I'm at a total loss.

Hubby seems to think maybe a suspension problem? Any ideas? I can't see anything hanging or dangling? I'm keeping an eye on it to see if the car makes any more noises but not I'm just worried.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

I wonder if when the shop did work they didn't fully reassemble everything, like leaving out a bolt or something so now a suspension component is not properly fastened to its mount. Wild guess.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-03-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
Super Moderator

It's FWD so it would have to be suspension, if you're positive that it came from the rear. And I'm sure that it was a result of your previous accident.

It's possible that the spring wasn't seated in the pocket and you heard it snap into place, but typically that will happen over a big bump.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:03 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to vonage6591

Have you or sean done any kind of visual inspection on the underside?
Old 04-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
Graphics B*tch

I must agree with a suspension issue if it was from the rear. As already mentioned since it is FWD there would be no drivetrain components to worry about. It might we possible that something like a bolt or fastener has failed. I would say do a good inspection. Make Sean get dirty. He has actually been bragging latley about how he is finally getting his soft, mosturized hands dirty like the rest of us dry, rugged-handed men. There might be hope for Sean yet.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 04-03-2008, 09:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonage6591 View Post
Have you or sean done any kind of visual inspection on the underside?
Tomorrow or this weekend I hope to get under the car. Ok, I take that back. My lovely husband will be getting under it to see as I don't have an ounce of knowledge about cars and parts but most likely he'll call over Mike after fixing Seans car this weekend (clutch cable shredded to pieces). The cobra is not operable until it gets a new cable this weekend.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:40 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to vonage6591

two-tone cobra + Auto body shop = shredded clutch cable
Old 04-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonage6591 View Post
two-tone cobra + Auto body shop = shredded clutch cable
No I can safely say the shop didn't do anything. They had no reason to be under that are of the car and in the three or so times (I've lost count) it has been to the shop they have put maybe .1 mile on it each time. It wen to the paint booth and back.

Naw we saw the problem when Mike took off the part that the clutch cable lays in (a metal groove that wan't sanded so it was very very rough and sharp like a rasor blade). It was probably the person who put it on didn't notice it's problem. It's cool we just dropped $78 for a new on (ug....when all the boards said it would be about $40) but upon further investigation it's a little hard to get ahold of the part and when your car in not operable you have to pay a little more to get a part here in a decent amount of time so you can drive to work on monday since a certain brother in law already jacked the one other possible spare car since he blew his head gaskets. Hahahaha....love you Bri!