Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems
View Poll Results: Which do you strongly prefer: studs or bolts?
Studs 3 75.00%
Bolts 1 25.00%
Neither. It depends completely on the application. 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #21
Super Moderator

Last post I promise, gotta stop reading backwards.

If we cant take the heads off with the studs, Id go with bolts. Especially because Ron has a more serious version of the same motor thats apparently doing fine.

Id hop on the rotary forums and find out if theres wiggle room in 2nd gens.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #22
I, Vettezuki

Too late. Bought studs, $55 from Guy's ProComp source. The motor is out and will be assembled on the stand. I *suspect* there will be room in the engine bay as well since it will be all bare bones. Even the vacuum booster is not so large. We'll see.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #23
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Ben, stay away from pro comp crap. I went through a set of pro comp rockers in 15k miles. We'll be taking the heads off so many times, ARP will save money in the long run.
I'm not advocating all pro comp stuff but their studs are great and last. Their heads, rockers and anything that moves are crap. Their pushrods, studs, carb intakes, and lifters are all of decent quality for the money. Shawn at Pacific Engine have been running them for years.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #24
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Last post I promise, gotta stop reading backwards.

If we cant take the heads off with the studs, Id go with bolts. Especially because Ron has a more serious version of the same motor thats apparently doing fine.

Id hop on the rotary forums and find out if theres wiggle room in 2nd gens.
Hard to compare. Rons motor is a freak, plus a centri is a totally different stress then a roots. Hundreds of guys with sbf's are having head gasket issues with studs. Just not a good deck.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 07-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #25
Super Moderator

$55 for studs is a steal from what Ive seen, ARP wanted 130 for my sbc, but then again its 20 studs not 32
Old 07-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #26
pain's fun, hit me again

Its the same cost for a sbf. ARP is getting a little out of hand.

Stopping the world!
Old 07-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #27
Super Moderator

Ps, cyl pressure is cyl pressure. You could make the argument that roots blowers blow hotter air, but I dont think anyone has more boost with a higher inlet temp than Ron
Old 07-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #28
pain's fun, hit me again

If only it was as simple as that, the way the roots puts stress on the heads is completely different then a centri since its constantly stressing them, the KB fox guys have an issue with it, they have even higher inlet temps at lower boost and the threads are a plenty. Like I said, Rons car is a freak. Dan Pina the drift patrol driver has an identical setup to Ron and I and he has always been plagued with head gasket issues. He even has the big daddy boss r block with 1/2" deck hardware and he is still plagued with them.

The SBF sucks monkey dick for boost, n/a they're great, but any power adder has great potential for problems

Stopping the world!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #29
Super Moderator

Assuming inlet temps are the same (and theyre usually not, but you make up the difference by running a lower boost) explain to me how roots cylinder pressure is different from centri or turbo cyl pressure?

Once the valve closes with x amount of boost at x temp and the engine mixes and compresses the air on its own from that point. Wheres the difference? Splain it to me lucy?

Hint, its not. The only difference is with the inlet temps.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #30
pain's fun, hit me again

First as far as I know the old roots dont have a bypass, so your theory about once you let off the throttle and the valve closes and everything goes away doesnt work. Second i'm talking about the actual stress of the blower itself. Its alot of paracitic drag to begine with and the fact its directly fastened to the heads makes a HUGE difference from a centri or turbo. Every time boost build(and it builds quick with a roots) it immediately stresses the deck and heads. Not so good for head gaskets. Roots also run hotter then a centri.

Stopping the world!