Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 08-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #41
pain's fun, hit me again

Not saying the parts arent capable of it, but many still arent. Many diesels wont ever spin that high, compression ignition needs fuel to run, eventually you're gping to reach the limit at how much fuel the engine will burn at it will no longer spin higher. Especially in response to your n/a diesel comment.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 08-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #42
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
However Adam's argument of any engine eventually spinning to a given rpm when its given time just doesnt work.
Prove it. I can restate my position several times too, not a very effective way to argue. And proving that no diesel spins to 5k does not prove that they cant. My engine peaks around 6.5, but Ive hit my rev limiter at 7.2... and it wasnt all that difficult.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #43
pain's fun, hit me again

And which diesel did you spin the 7200?
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 08-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #44
Super Moderator

My diesel redlines at 4.5k, its almost funny to be that you guys are arguing that the motor wont spin another 700rpm.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #45
pain's fun, hit me again

That's not the argument that you originally stated. It was that ANY engine will spin to 5250. If there are engine that wont, then its not ANY, is it?

Stopping the world!
Old 08-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #46
Super Moderator

Quote:
And which diesel did you spin the 7200?
And how does that question conceivably tie into anything? Your argument could only be that evidence that a gas engine easily spins past redline isnt evidence that a diesel will.

Sometimes I feel like people want to argue with me just to prove something to themselves. Fine you win, diesels unlike gas engines magically explode if you spin them into the red. Im bored with this.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #47
Super Moderator

Oy, yes that statement was meant to include briggs and straton lawn mower engines
Old 08-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #48
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
And how does that question conceivably tie into anything? Your argument could only be that evidence that a gas engine easily spins past redline isnt evidence that a diesel will.

Sometimes I feel like people want to argue with me just to prove something to themselves. Fine you win, diesels unlike gas engines magically explode if you spin them into the red. Im bored with this.
Maybe people want to argue with you because you goaded the argument in the first place?

There are many engines, that will NEVER see 5250 or even 1250, it's a fact plain and simple. Comparing a diesel engine to a gas engine doesnt work either, different combustion processes, how can you expect to spin a diesel faster without increasing fuel? And what happens when you increase fuel past the point of acceptable airflow? Its not going to stop spinning, it will flood and bog or run lean and pop, neither will help get it to a higher rpm. Add boost and sure it will happen, but not under atmospheric pressure alone.

Stopping the world!
Old 08-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #49
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
There are many engines, that will NEVER see 5250 or even 1250, it's a fact plain and simple.
I don't know about *many* that won't see 1,250, but they certainly exist. I'd agree many won't/can't make 5,250 ever. Just not in their design envelope.

Quote:
Comparing a diesel engine to a gas engine doesnt work either, different combustion processes
True. Otto cycle vs. Diesel Cycle.

Combustion properties of the fuel (flame front expansion rate) is also quite different.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #50
Super Moderator

Ohhh so you think most diesels wont spin to 5250? Thanks! That was the proof I needed, now Im a believer.