Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 02-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #1

Talking Buttonwillow driver's clinic, Feb 25 2012

I know, I know, this is last minute. I have a bad habit of doing this Reason this time is that my girlfriend was going to come with us to El Toro last week but when she heard of this, she wanted to go and bailed on the El Toro event. I told her I wanted to do El Toro also... and I said "fugg it" I'll do the Buttonwillow event too.

This is on a real road course type of setup, I think they have a separate area for skid pad work. They will likely have less crowd than we had at El Toro, when I signed up last week, they only had 25 or so cars. My understanding is we do exercises in the morning and go out on the track for the afternoon, a buddy of a buddy is going to be there with a Z06 carbon, he told me you get a lot of track time.

Here's a cut/paste of an email I sent to my "car guy" list:

-------------------------------

clinic info:
http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/clinic.htm

track map:
http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/i..._01_config.gif

video of time attack champ FD (sick ass car, this thing is nuts)

speedventures s2k challenge last month... these guys are hauling ass, it's hard to tell in the video but anyone who runs around the 2 minute mark on this track with street tires is fast as shit
me and fisa are going next Saturday, going to drive up late friday night and stay at a shitty hotel and get up early next day and drive back down afterwards. It's pretty far away, like 140 miles each way... lmk man.
we've both been on that track before, it's really fun. This event is instructional in that you get to do car exercises in the morning (skid pad, car control, etc.) and then get to drive the afternoon on the track.
it's an awesome track.

-mike

2001 DC4 Acura Integra
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

If all continues to go well I'll be able to start doing stuff like this again next year. Can't wait!

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #3

Oh man if it weren't so close to the one we just did I'd be all over it! I don't want to wait until August for the next one though...

George

Old 02-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #4

How do you know how many people have signed up? I decided against going to El Toro because there were too damn many people [over 60 when I made my last look to sign up].

If it is capped or will for sure a smaller group, then I would consider this, but for $195 anything over 50 is too many. Know anyone who has done this Buttonwillow event before?
Old 02-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #5

Realistically I’m about four months away from doing something like this but I am going to track the car a few times this year. That’s the plan anyway. I’d like to begin at Auto Club Speedway just to get used to things but Buttonwillow does look fun. Damn you Mike, you’ve got me hooked. You two have fun.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalC55 View Post
How do you know how many people have signed up? I decided against going to El Toro because there were too damn many people [over 60 when I made my last look to sign up].

If it is capped or will for sure a smaller group, then I would consider this, but for $195 anything over 50 is too many. Know anyone who has done this Buttonwillow event before?
We had plenty of seat time at El Toro... 3-4 turns on skid pad, 3 turns on wet figure 8, 1 turn dry figure 8(but some had more), 4 slalom, too many accident avoidance-threshold braking, and 5 turns on the autocross track..It was non stop most of the day.. they broke it down into 4 groups, rotating events.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #7

Good point Paul, I guess I was looking more towards actual track related instruction.

Mike, I was doing some research on other car forums and it seems like you get a decent amount of time on the track, not just doing side drills. Ill keep you updated if I can make this [pending any work projects]
Old 02-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #8

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
If all continues to go well I'll be able to start doing stuff like this again next year. Can't wait!
Sounds good to me You will love it!!! Look forward to seeing you out and about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetek View Post
Oh man if it weren't so close to the one we just did I'd be all over it! I don't want to wait until August for the next one though...

George
lol I know man. I realistically wanted to take a break but my g/f wanted to do this and I really like this track so I said screw it... it's just money right??? They are not the only ones who put stuff on, I think the BMW guys do events too

Quote:

Hey Sean, not sure about how many they sign up. Call them tomorrow and ask them. I asked the girl on the phone last week and she told me they have 20-50 people typically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redondo Jon View Post
Realistically I’m about four months away from doing something like this but I am going to track the car a few times this year. That’s the plan anyway. I’d like to begin at Auto Club Speedway just to get used to things but Buttonwillow does look fun. Damn you Mike, you’ve got me hooked. You two have fun.
Hey Jon!!!! So glad you came out man. You guys looked great on Saturday Track is like crack, that's what my friends tell me! BW is fun, but far away, that's my rub I think if you can get out 2-4 times a year that will get it "out of your system".

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdracer73 View Post
We had plenty of seat time at El Toro... 3-4 turns on skid pad, 3 turns on wet figure 8, 1 turn dry figure 8(but some had more), 4 slalom, too many accident avoidance-threshold braking, and 5 turns on the autocross track..It was non stop most of the day.. they broke it down into 4 groups, rotating events.
^^ Yup.

Quote:
Good point Paul, I guess I was looking more towards actual track related instruction.

Mike, I was doing some research on other car forums and it seems like you get a decent amount of time on the track, not just doing side drills. Ill keep you updated if I can make this [pending any work projects]
Sounds good Sean. PM/call me if you like.

2001 DC4 Acura Integra

Old 02-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #9

Add my C55 and a friends 335i to the attending list
Old 02-22-2012, 07:37 AM   #10
Fast & Filthy

I'd love to go do Buttonwillow again but I still need to buy some tires and by the time I pay for the event, buy race fuel and brakes I end up $500 for one day. By the way if they are running CW13 then the Cobra did a 2:12 and I know I can do better. That was on 245/45/17 NT01s.