Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-29-2010, 04:10 PM   #1

Default Z06 "Ti exhaust bypass mod"

Im looking for a bit more agressive sound out of the Z. Nothing crazy, just a little more "oomph" at WOT, problem being im very much a function over form guy, and swapping the stock Ti catback does, as far as ive been able to gather, almost nothing for power (some would say it does completely nothing ) and it actually adds weight. Given that, (and the 1200$ price tag of a C5 cat-back) I was going to just keep the stock C/B.

Then I discovered this "Ti bypass mod" that is apparently something quite common amongs the Z folks. It basically consists of welding a small length of titanium pipe into the exhaust system, as seen....
z06 bypass.jpg
Here.

Sounds "exotic" as ive come to actually enjoy out of this exhaust (Not sure if its the titanium construction or some aspect of the design, but this doesnt sound like any ordinary V8 exhaust ive come to know, and I kind of dig it )
but with just a bit more edge to it. (Sound clip below)

So what do you guys think? Do it or not? and if so, should i be concerned at all that I am pretty much irreparably modifying that Ti exhaust, which is not exactly super common?

Opinions welcome!
Old 10-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

I say go for it. It sounds like a great way to get the extra sound you want without spending a fortune. I'm sure you could always find another stock Z06 exhaust if you decide you don't like it.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #3

Do it !
Cool Car !
Old 10-30-2010, 12:05 AM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Anybody do before and after dynos? Probably doesn't make much if any difference, but my only *tiny* concern is that nifty sound is coming from the fact you're diverting some exhaust gases down a different length of tube and mixing them back in, creating a more complex waveform. It might interfere ever so slightly with scavenging. As for the mod and the sound, I'm a little indifferent. It's something a little distinguishing and to talk about which is always nice.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)