Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
A Motorgen O.G.

Exclamation I need tires!

I need to borrow the smallest 5 x 4.5 tires anyone has access to. I still can't pass smog but I've made progress. After Sea Foaming the engine, running a tank of Guaranteed to Pass, getting the new cat (4-5 weeks old) really hot, replacing the upstream O2 sensor (3-4 months ago), repairing an exhaust leak upstream of the cat and running 30x9.5 tires (instead of 31x10.5), I still failed.

My NOx is down to 750 ish on a 525 limit at 15 mph. It's down from 2000 and 1100.

I'm pretty confident that stock tires (in the 27-28 inch range) will finally get to me pass.

I'm desperate at this point, my registration is up tomorrow. No mechanic wants to look at it because they know how hard 4cyl Jeeps are to pass.

Fourth time's the charm right?
Old 11-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
Super Moderator

PM sent.

Doesn't your Dad still have the Exploder? Those are 5x4.5

You should put it in 4wd, disconnect the linkage from the transfer case and tell them it is an AWD Jeep.

Young's Power Wagon was AWD and they didn't have an AWD dyno, so they ran it in neutral next to the dyno. That would help for sure. Haha, wonder if it would work.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
Super Moderator

If you get desperate, maybe you could find two 5x4.5 donuts and run those on the rear. Those are super tiny.

I picked up two F Body donuts at pick your part for my trailer. If you do, make sure to tell them they are donuts or they will charge you for a wheel and a tire separately.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
A Motorgen O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
PM sent.

Doesn't your Dad still have the Exploder? Those are 5x4.5

You should put it in 4wd, disconnect the linkage from the transfer case and tell them it is an AWD Jeep.

Young's Power Wagon was AWD and they didn't have an AWD dyno, so they ran it in neutral next to the dyno. That would help for sure. Haha, wonder if it would work.
Nah, my dad sold the Exploder a few years ago. I didn't know they were the same bolt pattern; I may have access to those.

I don't think the 4WD/AWD option would work. The dyno has to spin and register the speed during the test.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
A Motorgen O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
If you get desperate, maybe you could find two 5x4.5 donuts and run those on the rear. Those are super tiny.

I picked up two F Body donuts at pick your part for my trailer. If you do, make sure to tell them they are donuts or they will charge you for a wheel and a tire separately.
May be a stupid question, but what are donuts?

Also, I just found out, I have a few weeks after all. I paid my registration early so I didn't get a late fee and the Incomplete Registration form I got in the mail gave me an extension. I still need to get this resolved though...

I should buy a Honda Rebel 250 and just start the 4.7L or 5.3L swap.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptCulture View Post

Also, I just found out, I have a few weeks after all. I paid my registration early so I didn't get a late fee and the Incomplete Registration form I got in the mail gave me an extension. I still need to get this resolved though...

I think you should buy my Bandit 1200S, not kill yourself, and start your swap.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-29-2010, 06:40 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptCulture View Post

Uh huh uh huh uh huh.

Donut: (Spare)
Old 11-29-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
A Motorgen O.G.

Adam, you are a genius...

Seeing that picture made me thing of the trailer we have in our backyard. I got lucky and those tires are the same bolt pattern. They're 27's, hopefully I won't have a problem passing with those.

Is it possible to have tires that are too small?
Old 11-30-2010, 09:54 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Well, from your smog report it looks like your motor runs cleaner with more rpm. Which makes sense since it's a small motor. So, there is some sort of emission curve going on there.

Of course if you put a 9" wheel barrow tire on your motor is now going to be spinning about 3 times as fast as with a 27" tire and your motor will certaily be sucking in and blowing out more air than most motors at that mph. If your motor was perfect it would make less pollution the slower it was spinning, but its not. So yeah, sure it can be too small, but I'm not sure how small that would be.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:56 AM   #10
Super Moderator

And I'm not a genius. You are. Not that I like to stroke your already overconfident ego. Haha. You and Sean Plunk are both too smart for your own good.