Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 08-24-2011, 02:55 AM   #11
I, Vettezuki

I'm more into the food production (gardening) side of things these days, but I do a little cooking and baking. I particularly like making things like bread, pasta, and corn tortillas from scratch. Cooking from staples can taste great(!), be considerably more healthy and cost pennies on the dollar. Recently I've been into using Couscous as a base for other things. Today I used a tomato soup with squash and zucchini from the garden over coucous with Feta. Cheap. Fast. Filling. Healthy. Tasty.

My brother is a far better cook and made some Gumbo last Saturday. And he is a fucking deadly mixologist.

Guy, your sauce sounds interesting. Sounds like a kind of wine reduction meets salad dressing type emulsion.

Ya'lls might be interetsed in Allen Bros. High end beef and sea food delivery if you wanna go gourmet. Not for the economically challenged. . .

http://www.allenbrothers.com/

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-24-2011, 03:42 AM   #12

Allen Brothers is excellent. I had their dry aged steaks a few years ago.

I do a lot of cooking, but nothing really gourmet or fancy food. When my kids were younger we would have roll your own sushi night. I would make some sushi rice, slice raw tuna, thinly sliced Japanese cucumber, thinly sliced ham (my younger daughter did care for raw fish then), Masago. My daughters would have their bamboo mats and roll their own sushi.

Bob

2003 Honda Accord EX
1973 Datsun 240Z

Old 08-24-2011, 08:21 AM   #13
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I'm more into the food production (gardening) side of things these days, but I do a little cooking and baking. I particularly like making things like bread, pasta, and corn tortillas from scratch. Cooking from staples can taste great(!), be considerably more healthy and cost pennies on the dollar. Recently I've been into using Couscous as a base for other things. Today I used a tomato soup with squash and zucchini from the garden over coucous with Feta. Cheap. Fast. Filling. Healthy. Tasty.

My brother is a far better cook and made some Gumbo last Saturday. And he is a fucking deadly mixologist.

Guy, your sauce sounds interesting. Sounds like a kind of wine reduction meets salad dressing type emulsion.

Ya'lls might be interetsed in Allen Bros. High end beef and sea food delivery if you wanna go gourmet. Not for the economically challenged. . .

http://www.allenbrothers.com/
i actually prefer fresh and easy, few notches in quality for the fillet above albertsons and other markets.

The sauce starts out with a soy base, unfortunately being italian blooded im not allowed genetically to record amounts. But figure 3/4 cup soy sauce, tbl spoon of olive oil, 3 tbl spoon ketchup, cup of any high grade sake, 1/8 cup garlic powder, couple shakes of salt, 1/4 cup worshestershire sauce, bring to a boil then reduce heat to half until the soy just starts to burn off. The sauce probably isnt the healthiest choice but you only need about a tbl spoon or two
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 08-25-2011, 03:23 AM   #14
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
i actually prefer fresh and easy . . .
To Allen Brothers? I'm confused.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-30-2011, 03:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
i actually prefer fresh and easy, few notches in quality for the fillet above albertsons and other markets.

The sauce starts out with a soy base, unfortunately being italian blooded im not allowed genetically to record amounts. But figure 3/4 cup soy sauce, tbl spoon of olive oil, 3 tbl spoon ketchup, cup of any high grade sake, 1/8 cup garlic powder, couple shakes of salt, 1/4 cup worshestershire sauce, bring to a boil then reduce heat to half until the soy just starts to burn off. The sauce probably isnt the healthiest choice but you only need about a tbl spoon or two
My girl has the same problem, but she's not italian. Anyway, she and I cook at least once a week, I'll link up some pics on my FB profile, she's really a goddess in the kitchen.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #16
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozak View Post
My girl has the same problem, but she's not italian. Anyway, she and I cook at least once a week, I'll link up some pics on my FB profile, she's really a goddess in the kitchen.
Funny my wife has never once followed a recipe in her life I don't think. It's fine for cooking once you have some techniques and principles under your belt. Not so much with baking. That's more chemistry and the amounts (whether you explicitly measure them or not) need to be in correct proportion or it just ain't gonna work out for you.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-31-2011, 12:04 AM   #17

I also tend to wing it when it comes to cooking. My dishes come out slightly different everytime. I do follow directions when baking since chemistry is involved. I have alter brown sugar to white sugar ratio to change the texture of my chocolate chip cookies, but that is about it.
One bit of advice about making sauces with soy sauce, the flavor changes some when you boil it and the imported Japanese soy sauce has a better taste because of the wine that the US version don't have.
I make a teriyaki sauce that I use for a base in many items I cook.

Bob

2003 Honda Accord EX
1973 Datsun 240Z

Old 08-31-2011, 08:56 AM   #18
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedhead View Post
I also tend to wing it when it comes to cooking. My dishes come out slightly different everytime. I do follow directions when baking since chemistry is involved. I have alter brown sugar to white sugar ratio to change the texture of my chocolate chip cookies, but that is about it.
One bit of advice about making sauces with soy sauce, the flavor changes some when you boil it and the imported Japanese soy sauce has a better taste because of the wine that the US version don't have.
I make a teriyaki sauce that I use for a base in many items I cook.

Bob
Yeah I learned that the hard way a while ago, I only buy the imported soy sauce from the japanese market, anything japanese really i buy from there. Adding sake or some other sort of light alcohol keeps the soy from boiling to a teped taste, the sake just seems to taste better in the sauce than other alcohols, maybe its just me.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 08-31-2011, 12:23 PM   #19

I agree. I like to use sake or ajimirin (flavored cooking sake) for Japanese dishes. I use grape wine for western cooking.

Bob

2003 Honda Accord EX
1973 Datsun 240Z

Old 08-31-2011, 12:40 PM   #20
pain's fun, hit me again

I really think its preference, my girlfriend likes it more when i make it with champagne, i prefere sake. Another sauce im trying to nail is a caramelized red wine aujus, im close but not quite there.

Stopping the world!