Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #11
Fast & Filthy

First off, beautiful car. Now to the dieseling. It's usaully caused by too much ignition timing. Do you know what it set to at idle?
Old 01-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #12
Internet Tough Guy

I like it! Good find.
2009 Jetta Auto 2.5 liter
Old 01-31-2011, 12:53 PM   #13

I think if you hold the third button it pops your trunk, but I'm no expert.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:44 PM   #14

Hmm, I've gotta ask you guys if this is normal. Today I stalled in an intersection (first time I've stalled in 3 days of driving) so I acted casual, put the hazards on, put the clutch in again and made sure I was in first. However, when I went to turn the ignition it wouldn't click over. I immediately went into panic mode and tried until about the fourth time when it would turn over. Is this normal?
Old 01-31-2011, 06:23 PM   #15
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by AARP View Post
Hmm, I've gotta ask you guys if this is normal. Today I stalled in an intersection (first time I've stalled in 3 days of driving) so I acted casual, put the hazards on, put the clutch in again and made sure I was in first. However, when I went to turn the ignition it wouldn't click over. I immediately went into panic mode and tried until about the fourth time when it would turn over. Is this normal?
No. The only thing that pops into mind is a potentially faulty neutral safety switch. If it happens again, take it out of first, into neutral and back into first, pumping the clutch, and see what happens. The swtich is designed to keep you from starting in gear. Jeeps (at least most Wranglers I know of) don't have them so you can start in gear.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-31-2011, 07:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
No. The only thing that pops into mind is a potentially faulty neutral safety switch. If it happens again, take it out of first, into neutral and back into first, pumping the clutch, and see what happens. The swtich is designed to keep you from starting in gear. Jeeps (at least most Wranglers I know of) don't have them so you can start in gear.
Yeah, I've had this happen before after stalling, but usually it will turn right over. However, the rpm's would jump between 1500 and 500 and die in a couple seconds if I didn't gas it.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #17

Started her up today and am still having a rough idle. However, I can now hear belts squealing at startup. Could these be related issues?
Old 02-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #18
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by AARP View Post
Started her up today and am still having a rough idle. However, I can now hear belts squealing at startup. Could these be related issues?
I'm not sure, but doubt it. Are the belts worn? Do they seem to have decent tread and tension? The squealing is coming from them slipping on the pulleys before they grab. It's worst when it's cold and the rubber is hard.

Your rough idle could be from a large number of things. How many miles? When (if ever) did it get a thorough tuneup? Fouled plugs and dead O2 sensors don't bode well for performance. A failing MAF certainly could effect your idle. Any thought you might have a leak around the intake?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #19
Super Moderator

I always think it's strange when people supercharge a 4 cyl. But still cool. If the car is idling the same as it was before you took the key out, it may have to do with the alarm, if it's not an intermittent problem. But if it's 'dieseling,' running rougher but still chugging along, it does not have to do with the alarm.

Your rough idle has nothing to do with your squeaky belts. Your throttle body/ IAC is probably just dirty. Spray a ton of carb cleaner in there, then get it up to operating temp and run it hard.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #20
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I always think it's strange when people supercharge a 4 cyl. But still cool. If the car is idling the same as it was before you took the key out, it may have to do with the alarm, if it's not an intermittent problem. But if it's 'dieseling,' running rougher but still chugging along, it does not have to do with the alarm.

Your rough idle has nothing to do with your squeaky belts. Your throttle body/ IAC is probably just dirty. Spray a ton of carb cleaner in there, then get it up to operating temp and run it hard.
You could use my favorite SeaFoam too. It's kind of amazing how much better some cars run after it's been used. Just bring it in through a vacuum line to the intake for a bit. Let it sit a while, fire it up and observe the battleship smoke screen that may emit (if it was all carboned up in the cylinders). Good advice on the TB too.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)