Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-23-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
Boost Junkie

Default My next mod

Just picked up a Borla/Mopar catback for the ride.. going on soon I hope! Picked this up for a STEAL. Stay tuned...

exhaust is 2.5" piping all the way through, 4" tips... exhaust is painted black and I haven't decided officially if I will touch up the black with High Temp paint or strip the tips and polish back to their original sheen... should be a nice little power adder for my stock turbo and make a huge sound difference... next meet i'll have her hood popped! Maybe even a new BOV...

I'll post up some pictures of the installation, really interesting design, all slip jointed, no bolts or flanges anywhere. slip it on and clamp it down! Should be a breeze. exhaust is light, less than 25-30 lbs.

Best ET 14.668 see timeslip
Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
I'd race ya, but you'd eat me up dawg!!!
Old 12-23-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn View Post
Just picked up a Borla/Mopar catback for the ride.. going on soon I hope! Picked this up for a STEAL. Stay tuned...

exhaust is 2.5" piping all the way through, 4" tips... exhaust is painted black and I haven't decided officially if I will touch up the black with High Temp paint or strip the tips and polish back to their original sheen... should be a nice little power adder for my stock turbo and make a huge sound difference... next meet i'll have her hood popped! Maybe even a new BOV...

I'll post up some pictures of the installation, really interesting design, all slip jointed, no bolts or flanges anywhere. slip it on and clamp it down! Should be a breeze. exhaust is light, less than 25-30 lbs.
Tyler, I know the SRT doesn't have mufflers (resonators), so how much difference power wise does it actually make?
Old 12-23-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Tyler, I know the SRT doesn't have mufflers (resonators), so how much difference power wise does it actually make?
It should be good for about 8-12whp, the Borla/Mopar design offers increased exhaust flow, eliminates some of the bends along with larger diameter piping. 2.25 up to 2.5 (almost bought a 3in exhaust from the turbo back but this was such a steal I couldn't turn it down).

The SRT does have two resonators, just no mufflers... the Borla/Mopar eliminates one of the resonators.

http://www.modernperformance.com/pro...oducts_id=1251

Link to back it up.. you can see the dyno sheet along with the stock and mopar exhaust, very easy to see that the Borla/Mopar one has a better design...

That 3in turbo back is still in the sights but this will be a good start for my stock turbo!

youtube video..

Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 12-23-2008, 04:01 PM   #4
Fast & Filthy

You'll probably make more HP with the 2.5 as your car sits right now anyways. I think the 3 inch will be too big until you get some more mods.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:18 PM   #5
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
You'll probably make more HP with the 2.5 as your car sits right now anyways. I think the 3 inch will be too big until you get some more mods.
Exactly what I was thinking myself... i'm on stock boost, stock turbo, stock stock stock. When i go with a ported turbo or s3 turbo i'll upgrade to 3in only way it'd help now is for mileage haha...

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 12-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn View Post
Exactly what I was thinking myself... i'm on stock boost, stock turbo, stock stock stock. When i go with a ported turbo or s3 turbo i'll upgrade to 3in only way it'd help now is for mileage haha...
I sure as heck don't understand all the combustion theory and engine dynamics, but it does seem one of the most commonly overdone mods for I4s is an overly large exhaust. As I understand it, the problem is excessively reducing cylinder back pressure, thus torque and finally power.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-24-2008, 04:30 AM   #7
Power's off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I sure as heck don't understand all the combustion theory and engine dynamics, but it does seem one of the most commonly overdone mods for I4s is an overly large exhaust. As I understand it, the problem is excessively reducing cylinder back pressure, thus torque and finally power.
Urban myth BS.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Too true...

3in piping should only be for boosted cars! If I was running a BIG turbo like a GT35R or bigger... THEN a 3-4in piping might be beneficial.

Till then, this will do the job nicely one thing is for sure, SRTs have lots of power to free up!

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 12-24-2008, 11:26 AM   #9
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
Urban myth BS.
Yep, I was going to say that. You DO NOT want back pressure on any kind.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 12-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #10
Neanderthal

Quote:

Ok, why would want any back pressure? That ONLY causes the the in coming charge to be reduced. Thus less power.
2016 Nissan Altma