Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-11-2010, 09:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Realistically, I only wanted the STI over a WRX for the stronger trans for towing. I don't care as much about the HP. The 300whp stage 2 STI that I drove felt as fast as my mom's stock SRT4 to me.

After Procharging the Vette, everything sub 400hp feels the same to me. Unless it's really slow like my Neon. Then I can tell a difference.

So I'd rather have the turbo 4 and the better gas mileage.
The stock WRX trans should be plenty fine for anything you'd be towing on a class 1 hitch.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #22
Super Moderator

I really don't like the WRX, it feels slow and has too much body roll. And I've heard nothing but bad things about the 5 speed.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #23

Quote:
I really don't like the WRX, it feels slow and has too much body roll. And I've heard nothing but bad things about the 5 speed.
Its really the early bug eye trans that got the bad name before they upgraded to the wider gears. The '03+ trans is pretty solid for anything under 350whp as long as its not abused (as with anything, but especially so with awd transmissions)

If you want a cheap turbo 4 cylinder for towing you should take your moms SRT-4 off her hands. They have all the torque you need, as far as 4 cylinders go, for towing and their transmission is as bullet proof as they come.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #24
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraperio View Post
Its really the early bug eye trans that got the bad name before they upgraded to the wider gears. The '03+ trans is pretty solid for anything under 350whp as long as its not abused (as with anything, but especially so with awd transmissions)

If you want a cheap turbo 4 cylinder for towing you should take your moms SRT-4 off her hands. They have all the torque you need, as far as 4 cylinders go, for towing and their transmission is as bullet proof as they come.
SRT4 transmissions have more problems than the WRX transmissions. They have synchro issues and 2nd gear shitfork issues I think. And I have thought about it, but my mom's is an 03, meaning open diff. Not going to try to pull the boat out of the water with a FWD open diff. I'd even be afraid doing it with a LSD FWD car.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #25

Quote:
SRT4 transmissions have more problems than the WRX transmissions. They have synchro issues and 2nd gear shitfork issues I think. And I have thought about it, but my mom's is an 03, meaning open diff. Not going to try to pull the boat out of the water with a FWD open diff. I'd even be afraid doing it with a LSD FWD car.
If you're launching a boat I'd say FWD is definitely out then. And you've pretty much eaten up your selection of awd turbo 4's unless you want an evo.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #26
Super Moderator

I've also thought about an Eclipse GSX, but I really don't want another old car.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #27

it sounds like you need a truck. Lightning will tow a boat. Gas mileage isnt...uh...good, but other than that it fits all your criteria. Might reconsider what youre actually looking for?
Old 11-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #28
Super Moderator

Mmmmm Lightning
Old 11-13-2010, 10:17 PM   #29

What size of boat are you towing? Maybe you should just get a cheap ass truck. Get an old diesel truck or something. The one in my sig is bad ass. It gets 20-22 mpg on the highway. Its a good truck.

The Race Car lol: 2004 Cadillac CTS-V... With things.

Better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #30
Super Moderator

16ft, 850lbs less motor. Trailer should be around 450, motor around 500, and the Jet is about 80. So that puts me in the 2K lb range, which is what a class 1 hitch it rated to.

I might just buy a class 1 hitch and weld some bracing on it for strength. But I have thought a lot about going diesel. Diesels are so good on fuel. Ideally I'd like to have a long travel Ranger with a 4cyl turbo diesel.